“Nice dive in Galapagos”

Academy Bay Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Our Dive center is located right across the road from the Navy base and the main passenger pier in Puerto Ayora. If you still can't find us, look out for a bright pink lolly shop next door!
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Good diving instructor, responsible, caring, tried to show animals and kept the group all together. Snacks and lunch is provided however not very satisfying. The diving service was good.

All reviews
"thumb drive"
"hot lunch"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I had a great experience at Academy Bay diving. I am a new diver and I was a little nervous at first but after hearing so many locals and tourist speak so highly of them I decided to give them a try first with a discovery dive and then the open water course. Their equipment was the best I have seen on the island and their extremely cute guide spoke excellent English. I am really glad I chose to have my first diving experience in Galapagos with academy bay.

I saw: hammerheads, rays, octupus, sea horses, turtles, sea lions, tons of fish, starfish, ... It was great!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We completed an open water course with academy bay, that's 4 dives and a day in the pool the training was meticulous and extremely thorough. Hugo (the diving instructor) pays particular attention to safety as he's been diving in the Galapagos for a decade and the strong currents can make a difficult classroom for first time divers.

In terms of price I had a quote from around 6 shops around town and Academy Bay simply out did the rest by being cheaper and willing to take their students to more interesting dive sites (Floreana and Santa Fe).

Thanks for a once in a life time experience.

Much recommended

divingalapagos, Manager at Academy Bay Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. It was a pleasure meeting you and diving with you also.
Come back to visit us one day!!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was originally diving with another dive shop in the galapagos but wanted to return to the Gordon Rocks dive site and they were going on the day I wanted. After diving with another shop right down the street from them I can say they were the better of the two. The equipment was nicer, especially the wet suit and bcd. Also we had three dive masters the day we went and they were able to split us up based on our skill and air usage. Gordon Rocks is amazing to dive and we saw many hammerheads and were lucky enough to see a sunfish. They were expensive but so were all the other dive shops on the island. Also all three dive masters had a camera with them and we got excellent photos and videos for free.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I definitely recommend this dive center. I spoke with some on the island who were very particular about experience and training and while this dive center certainly highly regards safety, they match you with an appropriate dive site and dive group. The divemasters are a lot of fun, they provided a nice little yogurt granola breakfast and snacks, and even bought us a local lunch upon our return. I'm told we also receive complimentary photos, which is a huge bonus! Decent equipment, great staff.