“Bad experience for me”
Review of Hotel Espana

Hotel Espana
Ranked #13 of 57 Puerto Ayora B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 28, 2013

In all fairness, it was an OK place to stay - relatively clean, OK hot shower (it cycled through hot and cold though). The sink was way too shallow and small, water sprays all over you.

I got a bright double room with big windows and A/C. My problem was though, I was there on New Year's eve. The mini-mart next door blasted their 3 foot tall speaker at maximum well into 4am. The reception of the hotel closed at 9pm and the remaining people (staff? owner?) won't help me with the noise (the whole island is celebrating, you're gonna just have to live with it kind of deal, instead of fight for me cause I'm their guest). That was a big turn off for us its it completely screwed up our next day (consider we only had that many days there).
The double room next door, I peered into the window, was really crampy. They didn't get the noise though, cause their window faced inside (the corridor), but it was way too small for 2 people.

Oh, their wifi is set up wrong 9/10 of people couldn't get on.

Room Tip: 1. If you want a reasonably bright room, bring a curtain, cause you want light, you got it. 2. Get...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were dead tired after flying for more than 16 hours and were glad to have a bed. However, this was not to be. The room didn't have an air-condition as paid for, which is okay. It was night, and not too hot. However, the room was quite dirty. We were also rudely woken up at 10.50 pm, by loud, loud music at full blast. Didn't think it could get any louder. Even though we paid for 2 nights, in advance via wire transfer, we checked out the next morning.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Josephine C
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The first impression wasn't that bad. It was clean and OK for the price. Now the experience of the stay. The wi-fi area is downstairs in front of reception, whilst there I got stereo baby crying from rooms either side of the patio. This was the family, in downstairs rooms in the hotel, one room also had cartoon network on the TV at full blast! The young man on reception seemed more interested in his internet game than me, as a guest. When I found him standing in my room with the maid, 30 minutes before my check out time my impression was confirmed. Very un-professional. They really need to look up the term 'customer service' if they wish to survive. I'm a travel agent and I won't recommend my customers to stay there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is a good choice from the point of view of the location and what you get for the price - we had a smaller room on the ground floor - it was small, but had A/C, TV (which you don't actually need on Galapgos) and nice bathroom - more than engough taking into account that you come to your room only to sleep. The breakfast was terrible - we only ate it once - first they delivered eggs without asking if we want them. Then butter, jam, tea and finally bread! It took about 20 minutes so the eggs were obviously cold. You can have much better breakfast in cafeterias around the city.
Before coming to the islands we called from Guayaquil to book a room there and they gave us a very high price. We thought that it's too much and didn't book it. When we arrived to Puerto Ayora we were looking for accommodation and checking different hotels/hostels and thought we would skip Espana as it is so expensive, but entered and asked a price and they gave us much lower price! On the phone they told us that it's difficult to find accommodation and that we should book and send them money to confirm booking! So they are not really honest... But the hotel itself is nice - cool patio with hammocks, nice location - close to the main street, clean rooms.
I would recommend it in overall.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kasia S
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Hotel has good rooms, a average ecuadorian continental breakfast and they offer day-tours. So its a decent option in Puerto Ayoro, Galapagos. The female staff is ok but could be a bit more hospitable and friendly.

But the young guy at the reception in the morning is probably the most unfriendly staff we have ever seen. He obviously doesn't like customers and he tried his best for us to dislike him. Everything small thing we asked fir was just; "No no no"
Totally unsuitable for his job, except if his job was to just sit behind his laptop all the time and be very rude to customers.

We would never go to this place again just because of him!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank B K
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hotel Espana is a great budget hotel within short walking distance (2 blocks) to the main street of Puerto Ayora. Room was clean, bathroom normal budget style and breakfast was filling. Only gripe was the wifi did not reach the second floor and above and had to go to the mosquito filled lobby to use the internet. Paying extra for air conditioning is definitely worth it as it is obviously nice and cool and drowns out any hallway noises-Room 12 is a good choice.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Luckily, we were only staying here for one night. The first impression wasn't bad; the location was pretty good, and the courtyard at the entrance was nice and relaxing. Our view changed when we got into the room, however. The bathroom wasn't completely walled off from the bedroom, which was strange, and there were problems with the water heater that we hadn't experienced at other hotels in the Galápagos. The room was also not extremely clean, and there were some bugs as well. All in all, there are many other options in Puerto Ayora, and I would not recommend Hotel España.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends