“Decent hotel in Galapagos but that guy at the desk....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Espana

Hotel Espana
Ranked #10 of 54 Puerto Ayora B&B and Inns
World
“Decent hotel in Galapagos but that guy at the desk....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Hotel has good rooms, a average ecuadorian continental breakfast and they offer day-tours. So its a decent option in Puerto Ayoro, Galapagos. The female staff is ok but could be a bit more hospitable and friendly.

But the young guy at the reception in the morning is probably the most unfriendly staff we have ever seen. He obviously doesn't like customers and he tried his best for us to dislike him. Everything small thing we asked fir was just; "No no no"
Totally unsuitable for his job, except if his job was to just sit behind his laptop all the time and be very rude to customers.

We would never go to this place again just because of him!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank B K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hotel Espana is a great budget hotel within short walking distance (2 blocks) to the main street of Puerto Ayora. Room was clean, bathroom normal budget style and breakfast was filling. Only gripe was the wifi did not reach the second floor and above and had to go to the mosquito filled lobby to use the internet. Paying extra for air conditioning is definitely worth it as it is obviously nice and cool and drowns out any hallway noises-Room 12 is a good choice.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sterling, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Luckily, we were only staying here for one night. The first impression wasn't bad; the location was pretty good, and the courtyard at the entrance was nice and relaxing. Our view changed when we got into the room, however. The bathroom wasn't completely walled off from the bedroom, which was strange, and there were problems with the water heater that we hadn't experienced at other hotels in the Galápagos. The room was also not extremely clean, and there were some bugs as well. All in all, there are many other options in Puerto Ayora, and I would not recommend Hotel España.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Ayora hotels

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Very centrally located, this hotel is the best budget option we found in Puerto Ayora. It is clean and tidy and safe.
We booked in advance and were quoted $40 per night for a double room. When we arrived we found that a non-a/c room is $30 so the staff were happy to switch us. We looked around for better accommodation options in town but found this to be the best so we extended our stay here.
There is satellite tv in each room. Breakfast is $3 - scrambled eggs, instant coffee, croissants and juice concentrate. It's ok but for a little extra you can get a nicer breakfast in one of the cafes.
The rooms were cleaned very well each day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brobens
Averill Park, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Nice place in a friendly neighborhood, cool little shops nearby, even a laundry down the street that washed, pressed and packaged our HUGE bag of laundry for $12.00!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

We planned a stay at Hotel Espana as a quick overnight stay between arriving on the Galapagos Islands and heading out on a cruise.

We arranged to have a "driver" pick us up at the airport. For the price... you could probably do it yourself and save some good cash, but it was nice not having to struggle to get your luggage on the bus at the airport and have him do it. (Cars don't go onto isla Baltra)

Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Esther, the owner who explained all the various amenities (A/C and TV were all we really cared about) and showed us up to our rooms. As a group of 5 we stayed in two rooms - one a triple and one a double. I can only speak to the triple, but it was nice and the A/C worked really well - meaning it was a great escape from the hot humid weather outside. Beds were comfortable. The view - nonexisant, but we didn't book it for the view. It was about a 2 block walk to the "Tourist Strip" of Puerto Ayora where we could wander a bit and enjoy the environment. Esther gave us the helpful tip that we should go AWAY from the tourist strip for a cheaper/good meal. Admittedly, it looked a little scary up the other way, but Puero Ayora is actually a wonderfully safe area of Ecuador!

My one gripe while there was our shower... pressure was good, but when you turned it up, the water started spraying out the SIDES of the shower head, rather than through the nozzle - when we brought this up the next morning, Esther dispatached someone to deal with it. I imagine it was better for the next folks.

The only other problem was pre-booking the hotel. You had to pay by Western Union or Moneygram. Both of these services charge a significant surcharge for their use. It would be REALLY nice if you could use Paypal or even better (but probably unlikely) a regular Credit Card.

On our departure, Esther called the taxi and then made absolutely sure that they sent a bigger truck to take us (and was quite vocal with the company). She was a superb help!

Overall, if I were staying multiple days in Puerto Ayora, I would be happy to stay here and have them help with the bookings of various day trips etc. Very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DragonSpeed
Tempe, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

I would not write this review, except what happened to me didn't seem like an isolated incident.

They quoted me the same rate for a room with a/c and wifi, as the place where I had already spent two nights. I wanted to move, only because I couldn't get wifi connection from my room (later I found out that most hotels in Galapagos Islands has wifi connection only in their lobby area.) They showed me room #12, and told them their rate with wife & a/c. Room smelled a bit moldy,but I told them that I'd take it for 3 nights beginning the next day or the following day. I went back the next day with a Spanish speaking friend to confirm the rate. There was a guest in the lobby who spoke fluent Spanish/English, and he helped to confirm the rate/availability also.

On my first day at this hotel, I found different types of hair between the sheets. I asked them to provide new sheets and helped the employee to swap out the sheets. Had a bit of communication issues however, and they did not clean my room at all for the entire stay. But, not a big deal there.

While I wasn't going to move again, but their wifi didn't work at all; the entire I was there and their a/c went out frequently also. My original hotel had wife at the lobby, but this hotel had no wifi period. The owners kept promising "tomorrow" or "after 4pm today" etc, but it never worked. Other people were complaining also. Their drapes were way thin to filter out hallway lights. Don't know about other rooms, but my room was very noisy. There was a huge cockroach dying in hallway (was moving a little bit), but no one bothered to clean it up.

My return trip home was going to take about 20 hours. I intended to take a nap after breakfast but before heading out to airport. Just so I had time for a nap, I chose to get a taxi rather than a bus. When I went down for breakfast, they asked me to pay right away. NO problem. But, I noticed that their bill was 50% higher than the original quote. I told them that I had witnesses and that they did this to another person too. But, they tried to collect more money. Long story short, I ended up giving them what was left of my cash. I was also very unhappy because they they kept on knocking at my door while I was trying to take a shower. I had told them already that I'd come downstairs in a few minutes. Money itself wasn't a great deal, but what they did completely ruined my memory of this trip. I suffered all the way home, because I didn't have a dime to buy me a bottle of water.

Interestingly, there had been a lady in my previous day's tour group who had said that this hotel demanded more money than their original agreement. She had to check out of this hotel sooner than she had planned, because of it. She had to store her luggage at the travel agency until she came back from the day tour - all because of this hotel operator.

If anything, this hotel owed their guests refunds for broken a/c and non-working wifi. I don't think there was any miscommunication in room rate, because I went there twice and there were other witnesses. Along with the other guest with simliar experience, I must conclude that this hotel might be pulling this on some guests intentionally.

Room Tip: Not a tip for a good room, but you should get a written quote for pricing.