“They fit in everything i wanted into just 5 days! Perfectly hassle-free vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Galapagos Alternative

Galapagos Alternative
More attraction details
Owner description: At Galapagos Alternative, we offer a unique experience of the islands the way we see them: as locals. Choose the sights and activities most interesting to you, stay at local places, eat at local restaurants, and of course, get up-close experiences with the local animals that make the Galapagos Islands so special. Please browse our site to learn more about the many different activities that are available on your trip to Galapagos. Then contact us so that we can help you find the best options to fit your timeframe, budget and preferences. We can help with all aspects of your trip, from booking unique accommodations to daily activities and transport between the islands. We are Jill and Javier Moreno, and we'd like to welcome you to our home. We look forward to treating you like family, showing you our favorite places, and ensuring that you have the experience of a lifetime in the amazing and beautiful Galapagos!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
San Jose, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

Jill and Javier made our trip such a breeze. Normally, we are the lonely-planet-in-hand & do-it-yourself travelers. For Galapagos, we decided to go with Galapagos Alternative, since experiencing the islands is all about tours anyway.

Planning:
In the Galapagos, there is something fabulous you can see and do on every island, provided you have the time. We had 5 days in hand and a very long wish list. I had researched a whole bunch of cruises and none of them gave me the “coverage” that Jill and Javier proposed. We got to see and do literally everything on the wish list. I don’t think I could have planned it myself.

The most popular islands are Santa Cruz ( that we stayed on), Isabela, San Cristobal and probably Floreana. But we had our best experience on the tour to “santa Fe and Garrapatero beach” – which is something they suggested and I would not have planned if I had done it myself. They have incredible knowledge on what’s good each time of the year and that is a great resource!

Sue, Jills mother, handles clients in the US from Florida. She is very friendly, prompt and pleasant to deal with. But, there could be moments where she could get a little confused or not be able to clarify some of your questions about the islands ( she’s not the Galapagos expert , and doesn’t claim to be either!) – But a phone call/ mail to Jill can settle it all.

Food Recommendations:
We are vegetarian and finding good vegetarian food is normally a challenge for us. Jill and Javier had some great recommendations for us. They helped us with finding the right food and also on how to “ask” for it! – the result, not only did we find food , but we liked it so much, we actually looked forward to dinner time everyday. Even on the tours we went on, they would make sure the crew knew our food restrictions and planned for food accordingly.

Service:
They would tell us the van would pick us up at 5:00 AM and the buzzer would go off exactly at that time. Extremely prompt. Not only that, once the tour would get over – Javier would land up in our suite within 3 minutes of our arrival. He’s superman! He would check on how the day was, collect feedback and go on with the plan for the next day. In fact on one of they days, the tours got delayed and we had to skip las grietas. This was not under our or Jill/Javiers control. Javier graciously promised to fit it into our agenda the next day – So Jill came with us and took us there. Though we were on a “packaged tour”, at no point did we feel “rushed” or hurried. Everything was fit in beautifully and there was no hurrying anywhere. They are too cool! Javier also dropped us back to the airport and they tried to put us on the best flight out.

I give 2 thumbs up for going with Jill and Javier. Not only do they make great itineraries ( custom itineraries!) but they also take great care to make the whole trip pleasurable and hassle free for you!

4 Thank vpip

London
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great value local experience in the Galapagos, tailored to our needs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

We didn't know where to start when we decided on a trip of a life time to the Galapagos. Then we discoved Jill & Javier at Galapagos Alterative. They wanted to know what we liked and then tailored our 8 day adventure to ensure we did everything that we wanted to do. It was a trip of a life time with Volcanoe walks, snorkelling with Sealions, watching the amazing wildlife, mountainbiking & horse riding just to mention a few. You choose what you want and theycome up with the itinerary!

We stayed in local hotels that were of excellent quality. Whilst we had planty of free time our guides were always on hand to send us off on our next adventure.

We chose this trip instead of staying on a live aboard and we did not regret our decision. The company uses local guides and hotels so you feel you are putting somehting back into the community.

2 Thank jimmyjamesone
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Galapagos Alternative offers special adventures and care!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2010

Javier and Jill are the young dynamic duo who offer the most interesting and fun Galapagos itineraries. Everyone knows them (and genuinely likes them) on Santa Cruz Island, and they excude knowledge, organization and warmth. Seven of us from two families spent the first 5 days of 2010 in the very capable hands of Javier, Jill and their great stable of guides, naturalists, and fishing gurus. We did everything from kayaking, mt. biking, hiking, snorkeling, swimming, to fishing (where Javier and Capt. Felix made us fantastic ceviche from our fesh catch) in the beautiful, warm turquoise waters. Javier and Jill arranged everything; flights, transfers, activities, rentals, accommodations - all for one reasonable price per person. Highly recommended from this well traveled New Yorker.

5 Thank madrasmusik
Washington DC, District of Columbia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“The adventure of a lifetime!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2009

My son and I decided rather last minute (booked and paid for the trip Monday and arrived in Santa Cruz on Thursday!!) and Jill and Javier did an AMAZING job for us. I told Jill what was on my MUST do list, gave her our budget and let her know the type of traveling we enjoyed. She came back with an itineray that met all my goals and objectives. When my son's arrival in Santa Cruz was delayed a day, Javier and Jill took care of all the arrangements -- bookings were pushed back a day and air travel from the mainland to the islands was rescheduled -- and we didn't have to miss a thing! They treated us like family and we couldn't have asked for a better vacation. During our many strolls around town we would see Javier's smiling face and just felt at home with the entire trip. Two thumbs up for Galapagos Alternatives.

2 Thank TropicalTravelere
Uk, London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“My best trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2009

Galapagos alternative was for me by far the best way of seeing The Galapagos Islands

It has been a dream of mine to visit Galapgos. Javier and Jill have excellent local knowledge and this adds so much more to the visit.

I snorkelled, scuba dived and went on horse back to Sierra negra. The snorkelling in Floreana was amazing

I know consider Javier and Jill good friends of mine. I loved hanging out with them.

The organisation of my trip was completely slick and the activities that were arranged were perfect.

If you are ging to visit Galapagos, don't stay on the oversized expensive cruise ships which contribute nothing to the island's local economy. Island hopping is the way forward. You won't regret a minute that you spend with Javier and Jill. They are awesome and really know there stuff!

5 Thank AnupUk