“Exceeded all Expectations...”

GreenLeadersGold level
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Exceeded all Expectations...”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Imagine waking up to a view overlooking a lush canopy of Scalesia trees with the ocean as a backdrop, smelling the brew of coffee that is grown on site, and sitting down to a hospitably served breakfast each morning. Our trip to the Galapagos and our stay at Semilla Verde were once in a lifetime experiences. We were celebrating our 26th wedding anniversary and my husband’s 50th birthday. My husband had read the reviews of Semilla Verde and had carefully chosen the perfect setting for our special celebrations. Robert (owner of Semilla Verde) made certain that our 7days were expertly booked to provide just the right mix of adventure (snorkeling with sea lions, frolicking in Tortuga Bay, wildlife spotting, and walking tours with knowledgeable guides) relaxation (blissful boat rides), and excellent Ecuadorian meals (thank you Evelyn and Daysi). After full days one was able to retire to the peaceful, romantic setting at Semilla Verde to reflect on the excitement of the day, or to stay in town for a time to soak up the local culture. Our stay at Semilla Verde exceeded our expectations and made the memories of our celebrations unforgettable. (thank you Robert and crew)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Paris, France
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Your host at this lodge is Robert. He is a pleasant guy and a veritable walking tour guide for his island home of Santa Cruz. I had many questions about this mysterious island that managed to elude detail and description of its activities and attractions, even from within Ecuador. Robert quite patiently answered all of my 250 emails that I sent him with a least as many questions about it (JOKE...I am joking!)

Robert organized my arrival and a typical local lunch was provided to me once there. He accommodated my vegetarian diet preference AND a severe food allergy as well (It is indeed a daunting task to cook for me and many dare not). The meal was delicious and served to me by his charming staff- two endearing local women who always smiled at me no matter how badly I mangled and destroyed their beloved Spanish language.

Rooms were well appointed and I had probably the largest wooden room closet in a lodge that I had ever seen before..wow..at least 6 other people could have used that closet with me and I would not even have noticed them! My bed was large and comfy and I had a beautiful hammock from which I watched the stars at night and listened to the sounds of the highland forest in the day. The ensuite bathroom was expansive and was thoughtfully equipped with the needs of the travelling unwashed. The room provided many conveniences that I did not even use like a hair dryer, tv, safe, etc....SOAP teehee.

Although I travelled alone this past trip, this lodging concept is very well suited to groups and in particular, yoga groups as it boasts a separate yoga studio on the grounds. Within the lodge there are many common areas to convene with your group and/or friends. There is a kitchen available as well which I appreciated very much.

Semilla Verde is situated a little outside the port however it is but a quick 15 minute cab ride away and Robert was kind enough to reimburse my daily trips in and out of the town. The commute afforded me the privilege to chat with probably all the island's cab drivers and gave me a unique opportunity to spread my bad Spanish over a wider region.

Would I return? DEF! AND I have been taking intensive Spanish classes since I returned home so watch out when I do return because I have added more vocabulary with which to torture native speakers!

Thanks again, Robert! (or was it Fred...JOKING) See you again within the year!

Superfood Chef Michelle

Readers: Thanks for reading my review and if it helped at all please hit that button below and give Trip Advisor feedback for this.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank thesuperfoodchef
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Situated on Santa Cruz in the highlands in a lush coffee plantation . Simple but lovely rooms, clean. Plenty of hot water. Lots of communal space to use. Rob organised a really good itinerary for us which was excellent. We had a few really excellent meals at the house which i would heartily recommend. Breakfasts were lovely though a bit of variation might have been nice as we stayed for 8 nights. Lots of lovely walks around the plantation and birds and tortoises. One free there and back taxi to the local main town included which was great. Lovely staff. we would certainly recommend a stay here and I would go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our 3 nights in Semilla Verde were really enjoyable. Being first-timer of Galapagos and not exactly planning much to do, we spent a lot of time in the property. The rooms are nicely decorated and very clean. Evelyn did a fantastic job to prepare us delicious breakfast and lunch. My wife was not well and she had to spend most of the time in the room and there was always care and concern showed by the owner and helper to make her feel better.
When my wife and daughter had to see a Doctor, Robert and Daysi made sure that we visit the Doctor that theytrusted and gave instruction to the taxi driver to accompany us to the pharmacy after the visit.
Our children had such great fun playing with Robert 's children, its just a coincidence that they are about the same age. The compound is safe and we have no worry about letting the kids play on their own.
With Robert, there is nothing too difficult to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I know Semilla Verde will definitely be my choice if I ever visit Santa Cruz again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Five of us stayed at Robert's hotel for little under a week and it could not have been better. The hotel came highly recommended by a friend and we are so glad that we decided on this place instead of the random hotels in town. The spacious and clean rooms, view of the ocean, quiet plantation with tortoises, great food and the awesome home grown coffee make this place great. There are plenty of open space where we hung out until late at night as well. Going to stay here again next time when I go back to Galapagos. Also Robert is probably the best tour guide that we had during the whole time here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I just stayed for a week and all the other reviews are correct. This is a great place to stay and it's out in the country away from all the noise. A few highlights:

ROOMS: All the rooms are very clean and well-kept, as well as being big enough for two people to spread their stuff out as needed. Plus, they all have decks with a different view; you'll never get tired of the views.

GROUNDS: The Lodge is located on a very sizeable property with trails through the coffee plants. Very beautiful!

FOOD: Delicious! As was the coffee.

HOST: Robert does a fantastic job as host AND guide; he'll go out of his way to make sure you're having a good time and have everything you need.

WIRELESS INTERNET: Free!

I'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: It all depends on what you like. They have it all.