My boyfriend and I decided a bit last minute to do a trip to the Galapagos. We were a bit overwhelmed by the choices - island hopping cruise versus staying in one place, and if so, where - and in the end we decided to give Semilla Verde Lodge a try based on the good reviews here on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased to report we were not disappointed with our choice!
We stayed at Semilla Verde for seven nights - the duration of our time at Galapagos, and (despite our last minute booking) Robert, the owner, not only managed to organize fantastic activities for each day that left us feeling like we really had made the best of our time in this remote location, but he and his staff and family also made us feel tremendously welcome at the lodge.
Our evenings there were peaceful and comfortable, meaning that we had energy enough for our fun-filled days. From Santa Cruz it was easy to do day trips to locations such as North Seymour, Batolome, Islas Plazas and more.
Semilla Verde Lodge is a manageable taxi ride outside of Puerto Ayora. The Lodge pays for one taxi ride to or from town per day; it's easy and cheap to get a taxi yourself other times. The location is beautiful, with views down to the water on clear days. You are in the heart of the highlands, surrounded by green in all direction.
Robert is also a trained guide and his passion for his adopted home is clear and infectious. His staff is wonderfully friendly and kind, the food they cook up is outstanding. We've stayed in a lot of hotels and B&Bs in a lot of locations and breakfast at Semilla Verde is probably the best we've encountered. The coffee - grown and roasted on the Lodge grounds - is a nice bonus!
Our room was clean, spacious and comfortable. Depending on your schedule, you may end up sharing meals with other guests at the communal table - which was a great experience for us as the other guests were lovely company.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Semilla Verde is an exceptional hotel with the customs and personality of a traditional guesthouse." We believe your experience in the Galapagos Islands should be as unique and natural as you are. So, here at Semilla Verde we offer you the chance to stay somewhere far removed from your busy life and the standard hotel offering you may be used to. We invite you to step into another world, the original Galapagos, the true and enchanting islands. And, to experience the wonders of a rural forest dwelling and life alongside the unique wildlife you came so far to see. Your stay will be based in an original and idyllic rural retreat where peace, privacy and Galapagos wildlife abounds. You will enjoy one-to-one personal service, traditional home cooking, panoramic views from private terraces and exclusive access to nature trails through twelve acres of private forest where giant tortoises lumber freely and native birds thrive. At night, gaze up into the unspoilt majesty of the milky way. Nine comfortable en-suite bedrooms with AC, WiFi and DVD just 15 minutes taxi ride from Puerto Ayora town, costing just $7 e/w. All in all, an authentic and genuinely friendly and authentic land-base for your Galapagos adventure and an all encompassing alternative or add-on to a traditional cruise ship experience. Semilla Verde works with a local tour agency to offer complete hotel & tour package options too. You will visit outlying islands and local sites with qualified naturalist guides and experience first hand the beauty of Galapagos and it's unique flora and fauna - from giant tortoises and lava lizards to marine iguanas and playful sea lions, from volcanic landscapes to cloud forest. Return to the hotel at the end of an incomparable day and share your travel stories around the main dining table with other guests, whilst enjoying dinner freshly prepared in our kitchen. Indeed we don't work from a fixed menu rather we generally prepare one recipe for the group, but each guest receives a serving according to their individual preferences. The location is secluded but convenient and very safe. There is not another residence within hundreds of meters of this oasis. Semilla Verde remains true to the philosophy on which it originally built for good friends and family, ensuring a level of intimacy, small number of employees offering very personal service and home cooking your will only find in a traditional guesthouse. Semilla Verde comprises two hotel builidings some 100ft apart - the Semilla Verde Lodge (Rooms 1-6) and the Finch Wing (Rooms 7-9). They can work in unison or as separate entities for separate parties. betwen the two there is a fully equipped yoga studio where you can enjoy individual or group practice. Galapagos is famous for it's volcanic landscapes and unique wildlife, but it can also be somewhere for you to rediscover your true and unique nature, somewhere you can feel yourself again. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Semilla Verde Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Semilla Verde Galapagos Hotel Puerto Ayora
- Semilla Verde Boutique Hotel Galapagos Islands/Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz