“Good value & Comfortable Stay”

Semilla Verde Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Semilla Verde is several kilometres ( a short taxi ride) from the nearest township (Peurto Ayora), and one must be grateful for that. Whereas the town is hot and humid, Semilla Verde is located higher in the hills and much cooler and far more comfortable. Sleeping accommodation is good, breakfasts are adequate, mine host Robert is both affable and knowledgeable, and taxis are promptly available when required. He also doubles as a very good tour guide.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed here for about a week in July 2012 and enjoyed every minute of it. The property is fantastic -- a few miles from town, but the distance from the touristy town of Puerto Arroyo was much appreciated. I took several day trips throughout the islands and always looked forward to my return back to Semilla Verde to relax and recharge. Robert and his staff bent over backwards to make sure my trip was enjoyable. I had a delicious breakfast every morning and had the optional lunch and dinner once each -- each meal was excellent and quite enjoyable.

The primary purpose of my trip was to photograph the islands (http://jasonowatson.photoshelter.com/gallery/Galapagos-Islands/G0000KegqFS.Y.pY) and Robert's highland tour was by far the most enjoyable / educational. He got me ahead of large tour groups so that I could photograph giant tortoises without a lot of people around -- quite a cool experience.

I would definitely stay here again next time I visit the Galapagos.

Room Tip: Room #1 is outstanding.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in July '12. Best experience in 8 days galapagos. Very authentic place, recommend if you're into high quality guesthouses.

The host delivered our best tour experience of galapagos with a sparkling story about the local flora and fauna during a walk in the highlands with tortoise spotting.

We stayed in room 1, which was spacious and had a nice balcony overlooking the forest

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We traveled to Galapagos with our whole family and found Semilla Verde to be the perfect spot to enjoy the islands while feeling at home. Robert and his family were very warm and helpful hosts. We had a last minute change of schedule which could have ruined our excursion plans and he was able to work things out for the best (even better than the original plans). Wonderful home made meal on request ... the best Ecuadorian food we had on the trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I would like to start by mentioning that this is my first TA review. I have stayed in some great hotels over the years, but unfortunately writing reviews is not something I've previously got round to. Our stay at Semilla Verde was so amazing that I made a promised myself that I would get round to it on this occasion.

Semilla Verde is situated 20 mins outside the coastal town of Puerto Ayora, set on a private hill side estate with stunning views all the way down to the sea. There are nature walks on site that are often visited by tortoises.

Prior to booking, our only reservation was about the isolated location, but I must say this was not a problem. A trip to/from town is included in the price and taxi's are inexpensive should you wish to go more than once.

The owner Robert, lives on site with his family. Semilla Verde is his project, The Galapagos Islands are his passion. He is extremely knowledgeable and his enthusiasm is infectious. He was always on hand to give suggestion and could organise trips at short notice, which was extremely useful. We particularly enjoyed the highlands tour. Diving on the islands is expensive, so if you are on a budget I would suggest going down to town to haggle.

The staff were brilliant! The food is restaurant quality, we particularly enjoyed the cerviche. The rooms are clean, spacious and have on-suite facilities. All the luxuries that you would expect from a hotel, but with a much more personal service.

If you are looking for somewhere to stay in The Galapagos, look no further.

If you read this Rob - thanks for making our honeymoon so enjoyable! We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlexQuinn
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I have to say that I was totally impressed with Semilla Verde. Robert is a most gracious host and the man is a master at providing for his guest. The grounds and view are out of this world beautiful. There are tortoises on the property as well as lovely wander paths that take you through his orchards of bananas and coffee. I can imagine that some would be cautious about staying so far away from town, but it was not a problem at all. The drive takes just a couple of minutes and Verde is careful to help you make sure you aren't over charged by cabs.

For what you pay, this place is a massive deal. Although judging from all of these glowing reviews the secret might get out.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view.
Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I went to Semilla Verde to scout out the location for our groups (yoga and otherwise). I could not have been happier with the location, people, food, layout... with all of it! The Travel Yogi is excited to be in league with such an amazing property.

This was my second trip to the islands (the first being a boat trip) and I can say that I prefer the quiet of the highlands, the cool and mosquito free location and the amazing amazing stars at night (there's no ambient light at all!). The luggage gets taken out of the room once you are unpacked and it really feels a bit like home. The lounge areas are comfortable with an amazing view from the patio and the people... the people are what really make SV someplace special.

Expect to be amazed by the nature, soothed and relaxed by the islands and the highlands and pampered at Semilla Verde. We'll send our groups, take our own families and continue to enjoy the Galapagos for years to come.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business