After 4 grueling days of boat trips, guided tours, etc. we stayed at the Semilla Verde for 3 days. It was great! If you like the hustle bustle of tourists areas, noise and lots of people, then stay in Puerto Ayora. If you like like serenity, a beautiful home and gracious hosts, then I highly recommend Hotel Semilla Verde.
Breakfast there was fantastic with lots of fresh fruit and Robert's coffee which is grown and roasted on the property. The morning coffee is great!
Actually it's very easy to get into town. The room fee includes a taxi ride into and back from town. We hung around the S.V. until late in the morning taking in the view, catching up on the email and doing some reading after which Robert arranged for a taxi to take us into town. I really liked the very quiet, dark nights for sleeping and the quiet mornings to catch our breath before diving into Pt. Ayora which actually has its charms and good beaches to hike to (Turtle Bay and numerous beaches near the Darwin Center).
Another advantage we found with S.V. is that it is somewhat cooler than being down in Pt. Ayora. Having two giant land tortoises on the property and lots of well maintained, but not extensive trails was nice too. The facilities are spacious and have a nice shared high deck on which to sit and enjoy coffee plants, natural vegetation and a distant ocean. I believe each of the 3 rooms has a private deck too. We did not get the ocean facing room so if a room view is important to you, be sure to ask. Using the front community deck gave us a beautiful view when we felt like we needed it.
For food, check out the non-tourist restaurant kiosks about 3 blocks off the main port area for some great local eating. There are many small restaurants lining a 1 block area you can choose from and you can have a table in the middle of the street. We never spent more than 1-2 minutes to hail a taxi to take us back to the lodge when we had enough of town and it was time to retreat to the cool quiet of S.V.
You cannot ask for more accommodating hosts. Robert & Daysi go the extra mile to make sure you have the information you need to get around, arrange for taxis, tours, etc. Our rooms were always well made and the facilities are clean and comfortable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Semilla Verde is an exceptional hotel with the customs and personality of a traditional guesthouse." We believe your experience in the Galapagos Islands should be as unique and natural as you are. So, here at Semilla Verde we offer you the chance to stay somewhere far removed from your busy life and the standard hotel offering you may be used to. We invite you to step into another world, the original Galapagos, the true and enchanting islands. And, to experience the wonders of a rural forest dwelling and life alongside the unique wildlife you came so far to see. Your stay will be based in an original and idyllic rural retreat where peace, privacy and Galapagos wildlife abounds. You will enjoy one-to-one personal service, traditional home cooking, panoramic views from private terraces and exclusive access to nature trails through twelve acres of private forest where giant tortoises lumber freely and native birds thrive. At night, gaze up into the unspoilt majesty of the milky way. Nine comfortable en-suite bedrooms with AC, WiFi and DVD just 15 minutes taxi ride from Puerto Ayora town, costing just $7 e/w. All in all, an authentic and genuinely friendly and authentic land-base for your Galapagos adventure and an all encompassing alternative or add-on to a traditional cruise ship experience. Semilla Verde works with a local tour agency to offer complete hotel & tour package options too. You will visit outlying islands and local sites with qualified naturalist guides and experience first hand the beauty of Galapagos and it's unique flora and fauna - from giant tortoises and lava lizards to marine iguanas and playful sea lions, from volcanic landscapes to cloud forest. Return to the hotel at the end of an incomparable day and share your travel stories around the main dining table with other guests, whilst enjoying dinner freshly prepared in our kitchen. Indeed we don't work from a fixed menu rather we generally prepare one recipe for the group, but each guest receives a serving according to their individual preferences. The location is secluded but convenient and very safe. There is not another residence within hundreds of meters of this oasis. Semilla Verde remains true to the philosophy on which it originally built for good friends and family, ensuring a level of intimacy, small number of employees offering very personal service and home cooking your will only find in a traditional guesthouse. Semilla Verde comprises two hotel builidings some 100ft apart - the Semilla Verde Lodge (Rooms 1-6) and the Finch Wing (Rooms 7-9). They can work in unison or as separate entities for separate parties. betwen the two there is a fully equipped yoga studio where you can enjoy individual or group practice. Galapagos is famous for it's volcanic landscapes and unique wildlife, but it can also be somewhere for you to rediscover your true and unique nature, somewhere you can feel yourself again. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Semilla Verde Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Semilla Verde Galapagos Hotel Puerto Ayora
- Semilla Verde Boutique Hotel Galapagos Islands/Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz