“great location”

Angermeyer Waterfront Inn
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The views from our second floor balcony were unbelievable, the views from docks are great. The staff was very helpful in making any arrangements that were needed before our stay and while on the Island. Definitely a place worth staying at when you make this trip and long trip down to the Island was made better by staying here!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank danofboston

Reviewed April 8, 2013

You won't want to leave. I sure didn't. I stayed in the "Boobie" suite, a second floor, two-bedroom / 1 bath suite overlooking the water. It was perfect. Very comfortable bed, extremely clean and the staff could not have been better. I was doing a lot of diving while in Puerto Ayora but had scheduled a few days without diving so I could rest... and hanging out around the hotel (on the beautiful restaurant patio, on the room's deck overlooking that water, whatever) was perfect.

As noted, this hotel is a very short water taxi ride (500 meters??) away from the town's main pier. To me, this was a BIG plus... far enough from the action to give peace and quiet but close enough that it is right there when you need it. "Catching" a taxi is trivial and the hotel can radio one for you in the unlikely event that one is not sitting there waiting. Cost is 60 cents per person all day except for after 7:00 pm (I think) it is a $1.

NOTE: The water taxis are NOT owned, run, or managed by the hotel at all, but one comment is warranted given that in order to get to the hotel, you have to use them. The water taxis are not a white glove service so don't expect the water taxi driver to help you on and off the boat. They may help if asked, but logistically it is tough - water taxis don't 'tie up' when picking up / dropping off. They just drive the stern of the boat into the dock using the engine's forward thrust to maintain contact while people step on / off. Waves will move the boat up and down as they tend to do. A non-issue for most people, but if you have trouble moving around / trouble with balance, it might pose an unwelcome challenge.

Another review mentioned airport transfers, taxis, no a/c in the taxis and complaining about the costs. This is not really related to the hotel at all. Getting to and from the airport is very easy and inexpensive (e.g., a 45 minute taxi ride from airport canal to Puerto Ayora costs $18... it would cost > 3x that in most cities). But, as I found in several unrelated experiences in PA, if you want a service that is one-off (e.g., help with bags from Airport terminal to bus to ferry to taxi... or an a/c taxi), the costs will go way up. That is just the way it is in PA... no fault of the hotel.

The restaurant's food was great. Very good and ample breakfast buffet. Solid lunch and dinner options. And having a cocktail at happy hour (with their filtered water ice cubes) is a great way to end they day.

Air conditioning in the room was more than ample... and daytime temps were in the 90s F when I was there.

They leave a carafe of drinking water for you in your room everyday. Many other South American hotels leave water bottles, but this is the Galapagos and they rightfully have an emphasis on environment when doing things like leaving water for guests. Bottled water is for sale at the bar if you want and you can always buy large bottles in town for very little.

I do not speak Spanish. If you are like me, you will appreciate that the hotel staff is comprised of very strong English speakers.

As noted, this was a 5-star experience. That said, given you are in the Galapagos and perfection is very hard to achieve, I'll note:
- Some of the rooms seemed like they might have less privacy than others. As I said, Boobie was GREAT from a privacy perspective. But ask when booking.
- Boobie is close to the kitchen so I could hear them early in the morning as they prepped for breakfast. Easy fix was to close the bathroom door at night (in Boobie, it was the bathroom window that let some noise in from the kitchen). Problem solved. No fuss.
- The hot water / cold water balance was tough to achieve in the shower.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Malcolm P
elou3192, Manager at Angermeyer Waterfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we do appreciate your thorough review which explained about some of the issues with the water taxis and airport transfers. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and invite you or your family and friends to visit us in the future. Elsie

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Angermeyer Waterfront Inn for three nights before our cruise began and were very impressed by the hotel. It was the perfect beginning to a great holiday in the Galapagos. We stayed in the Media Luna room and loved the private balcony with a view of the harbour. We spent a couple hours each evening watching the boats and the blue-footed boobies diving. Moreover, our room was kept spotlessly clean and was an adequate size.

We found all of the staff to be friendly and professional. The breakfasts were delicious with a good selection meats, cheeses, fruits, cakes, etc. and you could have eggs made. It was enjoyable to have breakfast on the covered patio near the water. We also had lunch there one day, which was good.

We didn’t inquire about any excursions because we already had a cruise planned and went to Tortuga Bay and Las Grietas on our own. However, there was no pressure whatsoever from the staff to sign-on with any excursions that they are affiliated with as some other reviews have mentioned.

Do not let the fact that you need take a water taxi scare you. It is 60 cents during the day and a dollar at night and only takes a couple minutes. We never had a problem getting a taxi – there were always boats around - even late in the evening after dinner. Personally, I thought the water taxi was part of the fun.

There is no pool but there is a small beach about five minutes away. However, I would recommend going to Tortuga Bay and Las Grietas if you are interested in swimming and snorkeling. We also walked past Finch Bay Resort, and personally I thought Angermeyer had a better view.

I would, however, pass on their airport pickup. If I remember correctly, it was $65 one way, which seems expensive. It is very easy and much cheaper to get there by taxi. A bus takes everyone from the airport to the ferry terminal (whether you get the airport pickup or not). You take the ferry across from Baltra to Santa Cruz for $1. At the ferry terminal on Santa Cruz, there are numerous taxis waiting. It costs $18 to take a taxi to the docks in Puerto Ayora (ask about the price before you get in!) and from there you can catch the water taxi to the hotel.

Overall, I would highly recommend Angermeyer. It may be more expensive than some of the other hotels in Puerto Ayora but I felt that it was worth it.

Room Tip: The Media Luna room has a private balcony and a great view of the harbour.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TAabG
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My daughter and I recently returned from a trip to the Galapagos (March 2013). The trip was planned by EQ Touring Company so I did not actively choose the hotel. However, I was very pleased with their choice and have no complaints whatsoever. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was also very good. We spent most every afternoon sitting at the waterfront watching the water taxis come and go - people watching for the lack of a better term - having a light snack and afternoon drink. We never felt rushed for ordering food or drinks and could sit in the restaurant all afternoon and night if we wanted. It is an outdoor restaurant so we saw many blue footed boobies and marine iguanas just hanging out as well...very relaxing after a day of diving. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and offered a nice variety.

One evening we noticed that a couple wanted to have dinner closer to the water on just a small outlay of rocks that could only hold a small table and two chairs. That was not a problem at all for the staff. They simply picked up a table and two chairs and put it where the young couple requested. Thus, they had a private dining experience! Really sweet and cute young couple. i am sure they were happy!! My point here is that the staff is very accommodating.

The room was a suite and very spacious with the beds being really comfortable. There was plenty of room to place our dive equipment, luggage, etc. We were never stepping over each other like we have done in the past when staying at chain hotels. This suite had a balcony overlooking the water - really nice. It also had a ceiling fan and air conditioning. The room was very clean, the bathroom was large and bottled water was provided for brushing your teeth, etc. Wifi was "okay". Could not always get service but not their fault.

You have to take a short water taxi to the property from P. Ayora. I thought this might be a problem but it never was. They are always available on both ends and we never had a problem getting back and forth in a timely manner. It only takes about a minute or two to get back and forth so really no big deal at all.

Lastly, this property does not have a pool but there is beach area around the corner that I think the locals use. I would not count on this as your only beach experience in the Galapagos. There are more beautiful pristine beach areas than this one.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite if you can. They are very large and have balconies overlooking the waterfront.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 904LB904
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Spent 4 nights recently. Reading (albeit, years previous) TripAdvisor posts, I had thought the water taxi to/fr P. Ayora pier was included in the price. These water taxis are precarious (particularly at night/rough waters and don't use their lights). No one will assist w your bags on/off the water taxi, unless you prearrange w the hotel for transfers (triple the rate of arranging your own water/truck taxi to/fr the airport on Baltra).

More on transport later; the hotel's grounds, architecture are meticulous, meandering, and what one expects of a 6*. I stayed in the Mockingbird suite. Though only a peek-a-boo ocean view & trek up an incline, it does have privacy from the other units. Perfect for a family; I was solo & entirely too large for one person. I did not have hot water any day, though I had notified the front desk twice. However, it was so hot (yes, there is a ductless a/c unit, but is very loud), I could take a cold shower. There is a kitchen space, but no dishes nor utensils. As is usual for the Galapagos, only a carafe of boiled water (high sodium content) is available for drinking/hygiene. Keep it sealed...otherwise, the little, sugar ants will find their way in; don't worry, they don't bite. Again, not really the fault of this hotel, as I discovered this to be ubiquitous in hotels around the islands, as well as the need to place your personal toilet business in the trash & not to be flushed.

My sister (who stayed w me 1 night) and I were well-received by Claudia w a nice passion-fruit drink. However, I overheard Elise receiving others & Elise told the other clients about the beach there on the spit as well as other amenities of which I was not made aware of earlier.

The restaurant's fare was above typical Galapagos cuisine quality and fairly-well priced for a hotel. The menu is static; doesn't change from day to day. I had read many reviews wrt wildlife spotting from the deck, though over the 4 days I saw 1 marine iguana and maybe 3 boobies.

I was very impressed with the attention to detail in the gardens, landscaping, and main area w the deck. The Mockingbird suite, I enjoyed the wood-beamed & very high ceilings. It contains 2 twin beds and 1 king bed, 1 large shower, nicely-appointed washroom (granite countertops). Appliances worked very well.

Claudia was extremely helpful when I limped-into the hotel gardens from a nightly-dropoff from the water taxi. The water-taxi driver assumed I'd already landed on the steps that constitute the launch. I hadn't. I fell & slipped down the lava rock, busting-open my knee. Claudia obtained some gauze and alcohol to assist me in cleaning-up my wounds.

Claudia, Elise, and the other receptionist were extremely attentive, I never waited to have any question/request answered. This is atypical in most Galapagos hotels. My only concern was the lack of telephone, so I had to continually trapse down to the lobby area to ask a simple question.

Lastly, it is convenient to have your airport transfers added to your bill (so you can keep that cash on-hand for most of the vendors whom do not take credit cards). However, I paid $65 for a transport (from the lobby to the airport counter) whereas I had done previously, one-way, with the bus for a total of 60 cents (P Ayora water taxi), $1.80 for the bus, 80 cents for the Baltra ferry. And, the $65 did not include an air-conditioned (truck) taxi. You will have your luggage conveyed out in the elements, regardless of which mode of transportation...so, check the weather...

I would have given a perfect score for this hotel had they corrected the hot-water issue (or, provided some follow-up/compensation) and had they apologized for no, a/c taxi for $65 (I told all 3 receptionists, as I know the Galapagos way: Unless you tell the person who is there at the specific instant you need the service, you won't get it).

Room Tip: All rooms face west, so it will be hot in the afternoon. I was relegated to closing my curtains &am...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Birder1CocoaBeach_FL

We are pleased that you chose our hotel for your visit on Santa Cruz and that you took the time to write a review. We are always trying our best to make our guest's stay as comfortable as possible. We apologize for falling short in dealing with your issue with the hot water. We appreciate you telling us about it at the time. We have discussed this and will try to be more diligent in dealing with such problems in the future.
The drinking water in the rooms is not boiled, but bottled water. Perhaps when Claudia said "bottled" it sounded like "boiled" All of our water used in the hotel is bottled and our ice cubes, drinks, etc are made from purified water.
We do value your comments and hope that we will have an opportunity to have you or your family and friends as our guests at another time. Elsie

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Angermeyerpoint Waterfront for our last few nights in the Galapagos & it was worth every cent, especially when compared with Finch Bay & Hotel Sol y Mar. The staff were wonderful, friendly & helpful. The food was better than Angermeyer Point restaurant & the drinks & cocktail menu more extensive. We had the Mockingbird family room & it was lovely with sea glimpses. The wifi was slightly flaky in the room but ok in the main bar. Beds were the best we've had on our South American holiday! They also did my laundry after I left the form on top of the pile without time to complete.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Keywebird
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Very interesting hotel with great service. The owner was on site and personally changed our room for a standard to a beautiful room.. Media Luna... With a great view over the busy bay. The family history is woven throughout the hotel. Food was better than average with an attractive breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Call ahead, the hotel is popular
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple