We just returned from the Galapagos where we spent seven days on a ship(the Eclipse..great choice) and two nights at the Royal Palm. After seven days in close quarters with every minute regimented, it was great to have a huge room with all the amenities and no wake up call. We were upgraded to the Royal Suite which was gorgeous and included our own outdoor hot tub. The grounds were lovely with an inviting pool.
Having said all this I would not recommend that you use this as a base for really seeing the Galapagos. Some of the most interesting islands were those too far to see by day excursion from the hotel. The hotel is located about 40 minutes from any water or town so there is a limit to how far you can go. I would highly recommend a stay before or after a Galapagos cruise. It would have been a perfect way to recoup after coming from the rigors of Machu Picchu prior to a cruise.
If you go, be sure to go to Tortuga Beach. It is a lovely walk to a beautiful beach and swimming lagoon. You might see some marine iguanas and boobies. Have lunch at Angermeyer Point in Puerto Ayora.
The only negative we came up with was the food. It was if the flavor had been removed from everything. I have never had such bland food outside a hospital. When I left my entire dinner on the plate the restaurant manager finally came over to inquire about the problem.
She said that the cook intentionally cooks bland food because the clientele is mostly older and doesn't like spicy preparations. She said the cook could prepare the food any way we wanted , but we needed to ask. It would have been helpful if we knew this in advance. Also, you can order off the lunch menu and need not have the four course dinner if you don't want it.
The staff was wonderful and will get you anything you need. Overall a great place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Palm Hotel is a private family-owned hotel enjoying the quiet seclusion of its own 190 hectare estate in the lush Miconia Highland Forests of Santa Cruz. Located adjacent to the Galapagos National Park, the Royal Palm was built in 2002 and combines elegant colonial style with traditional island design. This boutique estate comprises 21 Casitas and Villas including family accommodation; the largest villa is named in honor of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales who stayed at the hotel in 2009. The hotel has the relaxed and informal charm of an Ecuadorian Hacienda offering a unique sense of natural space. The Hotel is a member of Leading Hotels of the World and is the perfect location for both land and sea exploration of the Galapagos Islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Prestigia and Hotwire so you can book your Royal Palm Hotel Galapagos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Palm Hotel Santa Cruz
- Royal Palm Santa Cruz
- Royal Palm Hotel Galapagos Galapagos Islands/Santa Cruz, Ecuador