“If Darwin was right, this place should not exist”

Royal Palm Hotel Galapagos
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Santa Cruz
South Pole
“If Darwin was right, this place should not exist”
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Just terrible. The rooms smell dank, the light bulbs are maybe 30 watts and the place is seedy. By USA standards this is a motor lodge. Bathrooms are a joke, and the restaurant is, well, awful. What an unhappy place, chef boyar dee spaghetti, scary fish burger, and Pathmark crinkle cut fries. This is Darwin's idea of a ghetto. Just pass this place up, you will be the better for it.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank J L
decontagg, General Manager at Royal Palm Hotel Galapagos, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment; we are sorry that we weren’t able to make you feel at home. It is a shame that you did not voice these issues during your stay allowing us the opportunity to make things better for you. It is hard to understand your comment about our bathrooms. They are some of the largest bathrooms you will ever find in any hotel; beautifully crafted in Mahogany wood with double sinks, separate showers, robes, safes, large wardrobes, iron and board, toiletries, clean white towels and some rooms have a separate Jacuzzi bath. We receive very few complaints about our food and are constantly producing new and exciting menus of traditional Ecuadorean dishes and international favorites. I’m sure that Darwin would have had a great time at the Royal Palm!

Regards from the Galapagos Highlands,

The Royal Palm Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I spent hundreds of nights in 5 star hotels in most I cannot remember – but this one I surely will as it was such a desaster. And we talk about a hotel where rooms ar up to 700 US$ per night.

It is clear, that nobody in this hotel has expertise in running such a venue and in construction the problems startet.

First night I stayed in a regular room, which has a connecting door. I could understand every whisper from the neighbouring room. (300 US$) This alone makes the room unusable.

Next three nights (now 500 US$ per night) I decided to move to a villa. The villas are very spacious, have a big bath tub, great views, a chimney etc. In detail many cheap things where used and the impression is, that everything was furnished by chance and clealy no interior designer in charge. More important: No way to control the temperature, as heating would simply be on and off. I understand many people are impressed by the size if the room and the view – so the first impression is much better than this room deserves. But anyway, the villa is absolutely acceptable and even though some things are weird almost everybody will enjoy the stay with the views etc if everything was just about the room.

Service?
-pick up from airport was 2 hours delayed and no chance to take a taxi, as Baltra ist he second airport on the planet I know with no taxis
-on arrival I was booked with another guy into a room despite a booked a single room
-my main luggage made it after 3 hours to the room
-my diving luggage I found by asking other guests in the hotel – after 2 days.
-room service constantly brought the wrong items. I couldnt order anyway, but my girlriend is a spanish native speaker and ordered for us. For one breakfast we got 2 items we didnt order and about 6 were missing. After the got back with another wrong item there were still 2 things missing, e.g. salt fort he unsalted egg. We didn´t give it a 3rd try as the eggs were cold anyway
-the preodered taxi was forgotten

That is only room service and front desk. And the worst thing: For the pick up there wasn´t even an excuse. I talked to the manager. He offered to take the 20 bucks from the invoice for the transfer. A funny detail is, that they defended the pick up at 12 am, which was supposed to be at 9:55 am, with the reason, that they thought the flight would arrive at 11 am. They seem to find it within the normal to be one hour late.

The dinner is really so so. I would never go to a restaurant of that quality again if I hadn´t to. We booked for a 3 course menue daily. On one day, all three courses were replaced by just one: A do it yourself pizza, not kidding. Everybody was doing a Pizza for himself and when it came to getting them to the table everything was mixed up. Some people insisted on a desert and got it finally – but the request for a salad was refused as any other requests as well.

The cheapest wine startet at 50 US$, while drinkable wine was for more then 100 US$ a bottle. Ok, accepted. But the restaurant was not able to provide the same kind of glass to one table with 8 Persons. Reason given: They have just a few of each kind and mix them as neccessary.

Breakfast is presented in plastic containers (fruits and cheese). Per every 5 times you order toast you get 2 and for every 4 times you order a coffee you get one. If you order an omelett with say cheese and onions the chances are a little above 50% of getting what you requested. The salt fort he egg is on a plate in the mddle of the table and all 8 persons use their fingers to serve themselves – yummy. Also a constant fight for silverware, spoons beeing especially hard to get.

Usually such single events wouldn´t do my mood very well, but after a while in this hotel we just guessed what possibly goes wrong next and we had quite good loughs. It almost never happened that anything worked just fine and come il faut.

Surely some problems are related to the location and the staff you can get there – but they should have seeked some help in interior design and they 100% need an internationally experienced manager for the untrained staff – the sad thing is that most staff actually seems to be motivated. The rooms are good but overpriced and the restaurant and service is a horror which cannot be avoided as this hotel is almost 30 minutes driving from anywhere, so going out for every meal would be quite a hazzle.

Furthermore, the hotel lies so high, that is was mostly in the mist, even though the coast had good weather. You will freeze!

Cut the long story short: Stay away!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CoppasFTL
decontagg, Manager at Royal Palm Hotel Galapagos, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, please find below the responses accordingly:

• The noise on the first room used has already been fixed, we would have greatly appreciated that you passed this complaint to the Hotel Staff while you were with us so we could have given a solution to it. Unfortunately this was not mentioned and it comes as a surprise to us on your comment.

• pick up from airport was 2 hours delayed and no chance to take a taxi, as Baltra is the second airport on the planet I know with no taxis
Let’s please take in to consideration that the taxi service was not for you or your group, this was a room reserved by your girlfriend, the transfer time was confirmed with you the day before her arrival and the fault information on transfer times came from your side. The issue that you mention that the airport has no taxis has nothing to do with the Royal Palm, unfortunately due to conservation of the National Park things work quite differently than in other places of the world, we do encourage guests to research before they come to the Galapagos so they have a better idea of the environment they are visiting.

• on arrival I was booked with another guy into a room despite a booked a single room
The reservation was made as a part of a group and rooms where assigned as double or single according to the agency and their information. Unfortunately the final information was confirmed the day before arrival of the group and it had you booked as a sharing guest and not as a single reservation. This was amended on check in by the Tour leader, but there is no way this could be blamed to the Royal Palm and its coordination.

• My main luggage made it after 3 hours to the room
This operation which was handled by me personally, did not take more than 1 hour, and again this happened due to the confirmed information given by the agency, because we received the luggage 2 hours before and was put in all rooms as rooming list from the Agency. All of this had to be changed due to the different Assignation changes upon check in.

• My diving luggage I found by asking other guests in the hotel – after 2 days.
All guests from the group where called for confirmation of their luggage arriving to their rooms and if everything was ok. We received no information or request for any misplaced luggage. Once again it would have been greatly appreciated that this request was made to the Hotel Staff so we could have given solutions. It is sad that members of the same group that arrived to the Hotel did not say that they had received the wrong luggage so that we could have taken care of it.

• Room service constantly brought the wrong items. I couldn’t order anyway, but my girlfriend is a Spanish native speaker and ordered for us. For one breakfast we got 2 items we didn’t order and about 6 were missing. After the got back with another wrong item there were still 2 things missing, e.g. salt for the unsalted egg. We didn´t give it a 3rd try as the eggs were cold anyway
I have no explanation about this complaint, other than we have taken all measures so this will not happen again. All orders will be picked up by the reception staff or the Restaurant manager to prevent this room service issues to continue. We do apologize for this inconvenience. And at the same time this was not expressed while you stayed in Royal Palm in order to compensate the guest for this. We appreciate your comments which are our best source to polish our procedures and prevent this from happening.

• The preordered taxi was forgotten
The preordered taxi was not forgotten; the taxi driver who was on the way to the Hotel to pick up the guests suffered mechanical problems with the vehicle and didn’t advise the Hotel. The Solution for this issue was given 5 minutes later when the Hotel Van was provided for the guests activities.

• The cost for the transfer service that was late due to the wrong information provided had a cost of $21,60, and this was discounted from the guest.

• All meal services where confirmed with the Agency beforehand, the 3 course meals and the make your own pizza was planned as a group activity. The Wood oven pizza is quite a popular activity within our guests, and we are sorry that it wasn’t what was expected in the guest’s point of view.

• In Ecuador wine is quite expensive due to Government taxes and import duty, in the Hotel we price all items greatly below the industry gain percentage. We have a good selection of Argentinian and Chilean wines for our guests. Unfortunately all this prices are high due to Government; this is not the fault of the Royal Palm Hotel. We do have all the inventory needed for glasses, this was a fault on service, disciplinary measurements have been taken to prevent this from happening again, we do apologize for this inconvenience

• In terms of breakfast, yes the service issues have been addressed and disciplinary measures have been taken. We do apologize for this inconvenience.

• The cold breakfast buffet is served in plastic containers due to the large number of birds that are present in the Restaurant, the containers are to prevent them from eating the food, but most important as a precaution for guest’s health due to illness that the birds may carry, so these closed plastic containers do not allow birds to get to the food.

• Unfortunately all this laugher and concerns from our guests where not passed on to the Management while in-house, and even when the remaining of the group checked out nothing was mentioned, not by the tour leader with whom staff asked about everything, and there was no negative response, then we followed up with the Agency that sent this group and no comments or complaints have come through.

We hope that these issues did not taint your whole Galapagos Experience.

Kind Regards

Royal Palm Management
Stamford CT
Reviewed September 19, 2013

It's quite aways from town, but the property and the rooms are to die for! They even have little bungalows. Loved our stay here. The restaurant was so-so, but the grounds more than make up for that! Make sure you walk around.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay and we were able to make you feel at home.

We have recently revised our menu to include a choice of local Ecuadorean dishes and international favorites too!

We hope to have you stay with us again one day.

The Royal Palm Team
Paris, France
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We chose to go to Galapagos for our anniversary, and chose Royal Palm to stay. It was a wonderful experience in such a remote place. The cabins are fantastic, located at the highest point of Santa Cruz island, which makes you admire the micro climate that blesses the "enchanted islands", as the spanish called them upon discovery. The staff is wonderful, every one of them is committed to service. As an example: on the day of our anniversary celebration they brought breakfast to our cabin in a heated carriage, even the chef came along to make sure it was perfect, which was a touch we'll never forget. The rooms are very comfortable, the bathtub with a view sensational. The bar is quiet, the restaurant is good, although many people prefer to go down to Puerto Ayora for dinner, to enjoy the town's life. The excursions they plan are wonderful. This is in fact one of the best experiences we have had in our travels to remote places. They do a wonderful job in keeping tis hotel up to standards, respect the environment, and provide a luxury service Galapagos style. I would go back again, no doubt.

Room Tip: ask for a cabin with a view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marc_An_13
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment, we are delighted that you choose us to celebrate such an important event in your lives and that we were able to make it truly memorable for you.

We work hard to make everything perfect for our guests so thank you for your words of encouragement and appreciation! Come back and see us soon!

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are spacious, comfortable and cozy with an open fire and Jacuzzi. All staff were very friendly and helpful although I felt there was a lack of follow up regarding our Internet not working and shower only having hot water, both of these issues were not resolved throughout the whole week we were there. The food was average with good service.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment; we hope that you enjoyed your stay.
We wish to apologize for any inconvenience caused by the intermittent Internet connectivity and hot water issues during your stay. Because the islands’ communication is linked to the mainland by satellite, this does mean that occasionally the Internet stops working but it is only ever for a short period of time. The hot water issues have been resolved. Thank you again for your feedback.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

First of all let me say that Carol H’s review is spot on and probably more eloquently written than mine. Grammer is not my strong point.

Ok, to start my review, let me warn you this is a long review, we stayed there for 2 weeks (i think this was a hotel record :-)) and I have a lot to say plus I will try to address some of the issues in reviews from others that I read on this website.

I choose this hotel for me and my wife, because we really didn’t want to spend 8 days in a small cabin in a small boat holidaying to someone else’s schedule. I like to be in control and we like to be able to change our plans, be flexible and capitalise on unexpected opportunities and while I can see the advantages of boating (you get to see all the outer islands) we got to see 80 to 90% of what the Galapagos has to offer with 2-3 hour boat rides from the main land to outlying islands. And besides, to dive you need to stay on the mainland or do a separate live aborad cruise as the tourist board have stopped cruise ships offering diving, its either a dive boat or a cruise boat.

Do the maths and compare the cost of 2 people in a boat for 8 days (booked in advance) and 2 people in this hotel for 2 weeks and you will see that you can have a truly amazing Villa residence experience in a wonderfully small and high class establishment with money to spare for great food and spectacular cocktails courtesy of Angel (more on him later).

I contacted the hotel directly and managed to work a bit of deal (June is low season for them) so a Villa was achievable on the budget I had set myself. The photos of the Villas online really don’t do them justice, they are HUGE!. 4 rooms, sitting room, relaxation room, bedroom and bathroom with dressing area, sink, separate toilet room and (a big surprise) a monsoon shower wet room. Each room is as big as some Spanish beach front hotels I have stayed in. The cleaning staff did a great job, coming in twice in the day to clean, tidy and turn down the beds.
The villas are nicely spaced apart and while they have huge floor to ceiling windows to view the lush island from, you never really feel like anyone is looking in due to good planning during the construction process.

It might be worth addressing the “Bates Motel” comment by one guest. This is an issue of expectations. We didn’t expect it to be busy (full there are only ~50 guest spaces) and we rarely saw more than one other group of people at either breakfast or dinner. This was perfect for us, we had all the company we needed from the day trips we took, but to be honest we were happy to be treated as if the whole hotel was there for our needs and starting referring in to it as “Our Hotel” with private dining.

I would also say that the comments from “ascoone” are spot on other than my perception of the food. Gustav is a great guy, we actually got to spend some time with him on one of our day trips away from work and he was just as friendly and polite out of work as he was in. He met us at the airport, glided us through the bus and boat ride and delivered us to the hotel informed and relaxed.

The other (and main) star of our stay was Angel who works in the bar and at dinner time. My wife wanted to smuggle him home in our suitcase but I managed to put a stop to that. If you try one of his favourite cocktails (the caipirinia) he will be your friend for life and if you have another cocktail you like, just tell him how to do it and its there! There is no cocktail menu, just ask for what you want.

Lastly the other member of staff that was outstanding was the new General Manager – Daniel Contag. He has only been there for a few months so please bear that in mind when reviewing comments from before Feb 2013 and after. Daniel is warm, friendly and truly committed to making that hotel truly worth of its place in the Leading hotels of the world family. He was happy to talk for as long as we wanted on any matter be it the weather, the day trip, his daughter or our dogs and when there was a time issue with a taxi and only just making our day trip (we had to be hurtled down the road to catch the bus in the hotel maintenance van) a lovely meal was offered as compensation. Despite the meal being free we still spent the same in the restaurant! but on wine and fine brandy 

The food for me was nearly always fabulous, the one exception being that the Galapagos cod was a little chewy on one night. My wife is a vegetarian and didn’t fancy the pasta options or the repetitive quesadilla, so she often went for the fish, but the fish was nearly always the same either cod or tuna and while good, did become a little stale after 14 nights there. That said if you are only there for a couple of nights the menu will seem fresh. The lobster we had here was an order of magnitude better than at the Giardino in town (see my other review).

Time to address the location criticism. Please use Google earth to see where this place is, it is in the middle of nowhere. So quiet and peaceful you can see the milky way at night AND you can see an owl hanging out on the outside wooden hotel map. You don’t get that staying in town with 10,000 other people. Yes, it is a 20 minute ride at a cost of $10 but how can that stop you getting a decent price on an excursion? My top tip, pay $20 to get to town and back, have four 2x1 caipirinias at the Rock for $20 instead of $40 at the hotel and this pays for your taxi ride! Sorted. I don’t have a solution for those less alcohol inclined than myself . :-) Honestly the location is one of the best things about the place and you can definitely see the sea from the Villa we stayed in.

On to the weather. What happens when air rises? It cools, as it cools it can dissolve less water in it so the water condenses and falls as rain. Air is constantly blowing over the islands, driven by the Humboldt current and other geological factors. The air hits the coast, lovely blue skies and warm days most of the time, then it moves up the island (yes people this is a big volcano island) and the water inevitably deposits as rain. If the wind is high enough the clouds pass over without raining but this is not the norm in the “dry season” may to November. With the hotel in the highlands rain and mist in the morning, it give it a Peruvian cloud forest feel in the morning and a wonderfully fresh feeling in the evening. It is a shame the pool isn’t heated as I love to swim and if it had been just a touch warmer I would have been in heaven. An alternative to heating it would be to cover it (as is done in centerparcs in the UK). This could be done tastefully and in a bio-dome type way to be as natural as possible.

Last thing on the location; the dirt track up to the hotel is very bumpy. No getting away from that, but so is every other road, other than the only two tarmacked roads (port to port), on the whole island. Go to a ranch (Rancho Manzanillo) and it is down a long bumpy dirt track, go the Cera Mesa and guess what? Yep dirt track. Need a 4x4? No problem – every and I mean every taxi vehicle on the island is a 4 x 4 pick up truck.

As I read Don M’s review I really feel sorry for him. It is like he stayed in a different place to me. I can see this experience would be worth writing such a negative review about but with the new manager at the helm I am 100% certain that this cacophony of errors would certainly not have happened. Well, all but the timings. Getting a taxi to arrive when you want it is tricky. The best thing to do is tell the reception why you need the taxi and have it arrive 10 minutes before you really do and pay the extra dollar for having it wait (if indeed it did). Our airport taxi was late because I didn’t follow this rule. I have to say that now they have a good selection of TV channels and the internet while slow 0.1 – 0.3Mbits /second on average was fully functioning and we even managed to watch a couple of our favourite shows via you tube on my phone.  There are other issues people have raised but rather than treated as a problem I would merely say they were statements of fact, birds in the dining room, over grown etc but really it is about the hotel trying to bring the nature of Galapagos into your stay. As for “Dated Décor” would you say a period 15th century French Chateaux needed to have a modern interior? No, this is a classic interior with quality furniture and pieces.

So in summary, this is a quiet secluded hotel like no other on the Galapagos. It offers a luxury that is available nowhere else on the island and makes you feel like you have been loads of times before and you are just coming home (if your home is a butler and maid filled mansion :-))

Room Tip: One word - VILLA. Get a villa at all costs.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Matthew S
decontagg, Manager at Royal Palm Hotel Galapagos, responded to this review, February 4, 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment; we are delighted that we were able to make you feel at home.
We hope to see you in a near future,

The Royal Palm Team.
West Chester, Ohio
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I booked a trip to Peru and The Galapagos Islands for our 25th anniversary. I wanted something special and didn't want one of the Galapagos cruises that are typically offered. As the only 5 star property in the islands, we opted to stay at the Royal Palm resort so we could return to a room each night, go at our own pace and enjoy the surroundings.

I selected one of the villas on the property which offered us a large bathroom, screened in deck with jacuzzi hot tub, sitting room with fireplace (if we needed it) and very large bedroom with a king size bed. The staff at the Royal Palm were very attentive and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. On our 25th anniversay, we returned from our daily excursion to find our villa decorated with hibiscus flowers along with a complimentary bottle of champagne.

The food was served in a separate restaraunt and the menu changed daily to accomodate fresh fish offerings or other special preparations by their chef. We received excellent service by staff that spoke multiple languages, including English. The wine menu was excellent and there is a stocked bar if you want to hang around after dinner for drinks and conversation.

The property itself was beautiful, filled with tropical plants and flowers and very well maintained. You feel as though you have the entire island to yourself. It was set back from the main road by several kilometers which assured privacy and tranquility but still offered a view of the ocean and nearby islands in the distance. The weather was decent for our stay but the resort is located in the highlands of Santa Cruz and most mornings were foggy or drizzly but this usually cleared off early. Most of the time, this was a non issue as you take a local taxi to Peurto Ayora for boat rides to explore nearby islands and as soom as you drive about half way into town, the elevation changes enough so you don't have any rain to contend with. A taxi ride to Peurto Ayora is about 20 minutes but only costs $10 (USD). The town is small but there is shopping, restaraunts and a wonderful fresh fish market to visit while you are there. The resort has a health club, swimming pool and tennis courts but we didn't have time to use these due to all the other activities we had planned. The staff also offered us spa services including massages with a 60 minute notice but we didn't have time to take advantage of this service on this visit.

I would highly recommend staying at the Royal Palm resort if you are looking for a land based itinerary while vacationing in the Galapagos Islands!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Djt90b
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment; we are delighted that you chose The Royal Palm to celebrate such an important event on your life; I’m very glad that we were able to make you feel at home.

We hope to see you again on a near future,