“Top notch!”

Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Quito, Ecuador
“Top notch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Doesn't matter how you look at it, service, room quality, views, amenities, noise... It's all perfect. Staff was very helpful. We went diving, biking, trekking... Everything went perfect. Galapagos is a true World Heritage Site... The Hotel was a huge part of our amazing vacation. Will try to go back again this year. Thanks guys!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GringoCLM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

I should first note that I didn't pick this hotel: it was a thoughtful gift, and one which was greatly appreciated, but we didn't research and select this option.

The upside: spacious grounds, long walks between villas. It was nearly deserted, with perhaps only 2 or 3 other couples on the property beyond our group. Felt very relaxing and romantic. We stayed in an ordinary lodge room, which was very nice, but the villas looked beautiful. We saw an owl sitting outside one villa, and a handful of canaries.

The other upside for me was the highlands climate: noticeably cooler than Puerto Ayora. Since it was swelteringly hot at sea level, this was a nice break! Of course, it was usually cloudy and rained quite a bit in the highlands (more than at sea level), but I didn't mind: it was nice just to be cool. Puerto Ayora is far enough away (25-30 minutes by taxi) that we only went back there once.

The front desk staff are super friendly and helpful. The pool is pretty and nice for a swim, but entirely unstaffed and doesn't have towels available: you have to ask the front desk. The restaurant staff were friendly but the food was impressively bad: we ate many dinners at the restaurant and a few breakfasts, and had trouble finding dishes we were excited about. The menu descriptions sound lovely, but the dishes which are served sometimes are missing some of the ingredients or simply don't live up to the descriptions (try the mushroom gnocchi, which aren't bad). The two restaurants we tried in Puerto Ayora were pretty bad too, so there might not be any better options: you don't visit the Galapagos for its food. The breakfast buffet was surprisingly weak, just a few warmer trays, anemic fruit, cheese, and good juice. Eggs weren't offered by the wait staff, but I asked for scrambled eggs and the staff politely agreed to prepare some. Lukewarm and not tasty, so I didn't ask again the next day.

Rooms are extraordinarily spacious and the giant shower/tub is excellent. One excellent point of service is their airport transfer: they accompany you on the rustic ferry across to Baltra island and provide a private car on the other side, which means you can check in before the public bus arrives.

The Galapagos aren't a foodie/luxury destination, but if you want a close approximation, the Royal Palm might be your best choice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gradientdescent
Bogotá
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed with my husband for 3 nigths and we had a lovely time. The staff is always making efforts to make your stay more confortable. We liked that the Hotel is in a really peaceful place where you can rest and forget about everything.
The Island is beautiful I recomend it to everyone who enjoy animal and wild life.
Would definitely go back again-

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marisavela
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

If you have been cruising around the Galapagos Islands and what a place to just relax and catch up on rest this place is perfect, but if you don't like complete solitude this is not for you. Also take into consideratioin that there are no car rentals , moped etc on these Islands you have to rely on taxi service so when you want to leave this hotel you must call at least an hour before you want to go so that your taxi is waiting for you at the time you are ready to leave. These taxis need time to get to the hotel from Puerto Ayora which is about a 25 min car ride from the hotel plus when you are in the town of Puerto Ayora you have the 25 min back.

I am not interested in night life so this was not a big problem for me I

Had I had "other" needs then it would not have been my first choice.
I enjoyed this hotel very much but it indeed needs a face lift , the property is beautiful but needs a serious update. Just to start with the pool there are only 2 lounge chairs available and 2 tables with 4 chairs so only 2 people can sit by the pool in a lounge chair I found that weird considering this was a Leading World Luxury Hotel ?? There were no towels easily available you had to ask the front desk for them and it took like 15 min to get them when they should be in a basket ready to go by the pool. Also if you are looking for pool cocktails and food service they do have it but it also take a long time though once they get to you they are gracious and nice but very very slow pace.

The rooms were spacious and very nice , love the over sized large shower and bathroom , the views were amazing and the staff I must say were all very helpful and gracious willing to please.

Must check out the Lava tubes that are on the property and they will try to have you go with a guide but we did it on our own it it was fine, so unless you need an explanation about it do it on your own, just ask for a complimentary bicycle from the front desk and go for it.

Would I stay there again probably not I would stay closer to town mostly for the reason that we were there for 4 nights and did not want to dine at the hotel every night so if I was there for 1 night or 2 I would say sure but for more than that staying in town is a better option you have many dining choices plus you can walk just about anywhere it is all close.

Room Tip: free internet in the villas
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank travelthroughmyeyes
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

Dispite the very willing and friendly staff, by far the worst value for money I have ever experienced. I am amazed to see the positive reviews on this spot, have they been anywhere else?! Or the reviews are not so recent, becuase you could see that this once was a nice place. But no longer. We stayed in the Prince of Wales Suite (for a tremendous amount of money...). The functionality was good, but the styling extremely outdated. The dining room was boring, no other guests and we could understand way.... Guaranteed bankrupty within a few years of no serious action is taken... Sorry for a once nice spot on a beautiful island.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Esther K
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

As it happens many of the really negative reviews about this hotel have some merit.
It is remote. Wildlife viewing from your room is difficult at best. It is a haven of senior citizens that play cards rather than enjoy what most other people come to the Galapagos for.

The food and drink are very good, abundant, well prepared, well served. So as a hotel and a place to eat (going anyplace else after dark would be complicated) it is fine. If you just want to sleep in for a few days why go to such a remote and expensive place?

In my case I wanted to see the Galapagos tortoise. I wanted to see lots of them in their habitat and not in a zoo. Not far from the hotel I did just that.

I saw about 25 of one species.

There are also underground tunnels and caves to be visited nearby and you will find Santa Cruz bird life to your heart's content. Remember that each of the Galapagos Islands has its own species of birds which almost always differ from the species found on the other islands.

For one night on Santa Cruz, this hotel fine.

I am not interested in night life and I don't look for trendy places to hang out.
I don't go looking for quaint little shops to buy over priced jewelery or touristy "stuff".
That is why this hotel was fine for me.
Had I had "other" needs then it would not have been my first choice.
As it is I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Bear in mind that unless you have some sort of package deal the price of everything (room, food, drinks, souvenirs) is extremely high.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank cho10
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

This is the place to stay in the Galapagos. I have stayed all over the world in many of the Leading Hotels of the World and this is by far the best. We own a house in Playa Panama Costa Rica and know how difficult it is to keep a facility like this up. Whatever minor flaws can be found believe me you do not know what effort it is to keep this hotel up. The food was very good. We could have taken a taxi in any day to town ( they are more than willing to provide you with taxis) but choose to eat here most days for breakfast and supper. Most of our lunches were on our tours. They are excellent at selecting tours. I know the guide book says you might could hang around Puerto Ayora and get a last minute deal on some of the tours but with seven in our group and this being a once in a lifetime trip we were not chancing on it being ruined. The staff was even able to accomodate us changing our schedule so that we could scuba along with snorkeling. They even got us the best boat on the island. So when you go to an equatorial nation like Ecuador know that this facility is the BEST. We looked at many of the overnight boats and this is the way to do the Galapagos. Stay here and go on day trips. Yes this hotel is in the park itself and stays in a cloud forest. That just adds to the charm. It is great to be 65 degrees Farenheit and at the equator. ( Little know fact 100 meters of elevation here equal 700 meters anywhere else giving Santa Cruz 8 climate zones.

Room Tip: I think the verandas are the way to good if you are in a group. If you are on a romatic honeymoon o...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family