The hotel is in a great location. It's at the end of the ocean front walkway. The tourist shops and restaurants are a stone throw away. There's sea lions that like to bask right in front of the hotel on the walkway.
The staff is ready to help you in any way, but the hotel needs the most help. We had several rooms including lower and upper floor rooms. The upper floor rooms had a balcony facing the ocean and a rear balcony facing the pool. The room was very bright and spacious. Very nice room except for the bare electrical wiring next to the water. The women loved the room.
The lower floor rooms either faced the ocean or the pool. The rooms were much smaller and seemed darker since the drapes were drawn unless you wanted everyone to be looking into your room. The left and right edges of the drapes also didn't cover the window so everyone could see into your room at night unless you put up a towel The water damaged ceiling or the paint peeling off the wall didn't help in one of the rooms. No soap holder in the shower or bathmats is a negative for me.
Some of the rooms had hot water while other didn't because they used an instantaneous hot water system for the rooms. They did try to fix it, but gave erratic results.
The restaurant is outside overlooking the ocean. The food was good especially the freshly deep fried plantains. The only problem were the little birds that would come in and occasionally leave droppings on the table.
The pool didn't look crystal clear (most likely a sand filter instead of a DE filter), but who swims in the pool while in the Galapagos. We used it get rid of the saltwater in our scuba equipment.
They also have a cistern with drinking water so you can fill up your Camelback or canteen before you take off for a day of adventure.
They have free internet. You may have to go to the front office since the signal strength isn't really strong, but it's nice to keep in touch with the real world outside of paradise.
Would be good if you know some Spanish since the staff isn't too well versed in English, but I didn't have a problem in getting everything I wanted. The staff really wants to please you.
Depending on the room you get here you'll be kinda happy or extremely happy
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The legendary Casa Opuntia is our landmark hotel in San Cristobal Island. We offer 13 comfort class rooms, some with ocean front balconies, as well as a common seating and lounging area overlooking the boardwalk. You are only a few meters away from Playa de Oro Beach and from the small, lazy port town of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno. Take a refreshing dip in our small, fresh-water swimming pool while you enjoy a cocktail before sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Casa Opuntia Galapagos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Opuntia Galapagos Hotel Puerto Baquerizo Moreno
- Casa Opuntia Galapagos Galapagos Islands/San Cristobal, Ecuador