Open today: 7:00 AM - 6:30 PM

Reviewed June 26, 2019
jgrrsa
New York City, New York
via mobile
snorkel tour to Espanola island - New wetsuits - Experienced boat captain - good guide

Reviewed May 30, 2019
kathmandu91
Sydney, Australia

All reviews kicker rock fish sea lions espanola wetsuits school diving guide tours equipment island
Selected filters
Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

Our family of four (including 12 year old daughter and 14 year old son) had an amazing experience on our Kicker Rock excursion. Our guide Christian and captain Gustova made it a once in a lifetime experience for us. They were super knowledgeable, flexible, and fun. When my daughter wanted to fish, they included it in our day, and she caught 2 snappers! The most unforgettable highlight was Christian safely guiding us to snorkel through the channel of Kicker Rock. It's 600 meters deep of ocean, and we saw the most incredible biodiverse marine life. We swam with sea turtles, sharks, sea lions, and fish of all colors and sizes. I am a poor swimmer, so the thought of swimming across the channel with currents was somewhat scary. But, Christian was very reassuring--pausing when needed and allowing my daughter and I to rest on a lifesaver that he brought along. This excursion is one of the best, if not the best, of all our experiences during our Galapagos trip. Definitely a must if you visit the Galapagos Islands!

Date of experience: August 2019
1  Thank Kam W
gustavotoursa, Director Comercial at Galapagos Fishing Adventures Gustavo Tour S.A, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you. We appreciate your detailed response and positive feedback. We always try to offer the best experience to our customers on their vacations. Safety is our first priority no matter if you are an experienced or beginner snorkeler, diver or swimmer. We would be happy to welcome you someday in Galapagos again.

In the name of Gustavo Tour we wish you and your family all the best!

Reviewed August 1, 2019 via mobile

My friend and I went scuba diving at Kicker Rock in late July and it was with out a doubt a terrifying, scary experience. First of all, we were not given depth gauges. So it was impossible to know how far we were going underwater. We just had to “trust the instructor”. Second off, half of my mouthpiece was chewed off so I had to hold the mouthpiece with my hands to keep it from coming out of my mouth underwater. Third, my friend ran out of air on BOTH dives within ten minutes. He had to use our instructor’s, whose name was Juan, rescue air. As soon as you are using someone’s rescue air you are supposed to come to the surface immediately. We were asking Juan to take us to the surface. And he would literally tell us “no” and ignore our requests. So my friend was using Juan’s rescue air for up to 20 minutes. At this point in time, I was at 300 psi (you’re supposed to surface at 700). At this point, my friend and I are beyond terrified. We’re running out of air and our instructor is refusing to take us to the surface. The dive was reckless and chaotic. 10/10 do NOT recommend.

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed June 26, 2019 via mobile

We were very happy with our experience with this tour operator for a Kicker Rock tour. Our guide Carlos was friendly and knowledgeable, the boat and equipment were in good condition, the crew was great, lunch was decent and everything was as advertised about stops, timing and what was included (snorkel mask, fins, short sleeve wetsuit,towel, lunch and snacks). Only complaint was the beach stop after lunch was short and unpleasant due to overwhelming number of biting flies.

We had tried to book a 360 tour the evening before our last full day and were disappointed to find every spot on every boat was sold out. The Kicker Rock tour ended up being a great alternative that let us see lots of Galapagos wildlife and at a more affordable price.

Overview of the day:
We left approximately on time at about 9 am in a group of about 10. We stopped on the way to try to find a mother and baby humpback whale that had been spotted earlier, but unfortunately no such luck. When we got to Kicker Rock we heard a bit about the animals and got some safety instructions and then set off for the first snorkel of about 30 minutes. We saw tons of turtles, plenty of fish including big schools, blue sea star, sea lions and some sharks from small to big including a hammerhead spotted by our guide (but we weren’t able to see) and a big black-tipped reef shark that most of the group saw. The water was 19C and we were shivering in our wetsuits towards the end so it was nice to come back on the boat to hot tea, coffee and snacks to warm up before round two.

Most of the group went for a second round but I’d seen most of what I wanted to so opted to stay on the boat and had a very pleasant time reading sitting on the front of the boat admiring the view.

After round two for the snorkelers and divers we headed to Puerto Grande and had lunch on the boat. Lunch was plain tuna, rice with some butter and a cabbage salad with a creamy dressing. Not very exciting, but good and filling.

Then we were all sent onto the beach and within minutes everyone was slapping away large biting flies. Our guide offered a nature walk but I had to skip out about two minutes in to curl up under a towel to try to avoid the flies. Some followed suit and some waded into the water to try to get away and other seemed mostly unbothered. Fortunately the beach stop was short (which would have been disappointing if not for the flies).

We got back to the dock a little after 3, and on the whole had a wonderful day.

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed May 30, 2019

Experienced and helpful people at Gustavo tours. We got seasick on the 2 hr each way to Espanola. Needed to cancel '360' round the island trip booked with different company for next day. Gustavo radioed his shop, they sent scout to our hotel, hotel sent staff to other shop who cancelled the trip on late notice. Thank you Gustavo!

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed February 14, 2019 via mobile

Great experience!
My last dive was almost 2 years ago before I did this dive at Kicker Rock! Great and very helpful Dive instructor (Daniel)... I felt really really safe...
Most of the equipment seemed to be new and Daniel brought a GoPro to the dive and took some photos of us while diving.
The people on the boat were a mixed group of 12 people (10 Snorkeling, 2 Diving).
So my girlfriend did Snorkeling, i had a really great dive with some hammerhead, white and black tips ....
Recommendation!!!