“Great location”
Review of Blue Marlin Hotel

Blue Marlin Hotel
Ranked #13 of 27 San Cristobal B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed only one night in this hotel while on tour with G Adventures. I loved the set-up of a central courtyard. It felt very secure and homey. The rooms are very large and clean. I found the staff present and very helpful. They spoke little English but why should they? We are in their country... I had no problem communicating any needs or requests. There are couches in the office where I sat to use the net. It is only 2 blocks from the main street. I could hear roosters crowing but thought it part of the island atmosphere. Bring ear plugs. We had a terrific breakfast every morning and filled our water bottles from the jug. Loved it!!

Room Tip: Ground floor is more convenient
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Blue Marlin Hotel

Reviewed July 29, 2013

After a month of great experiences in the Galapagos Islands, it was disappointing to end it at this place. I booked the hotel for my dad and myself after our cruise thinking that it would be nicer than the hostel where I stayed since it cost more than twice as much. Boy was I wrong.

The rooms were bigger, there was a flat screen TV, and there was a small pool, but other than that, the Blue Marlin didn't offer much for the price. The water in the shower, while plentiful (and wasteful) was not always hot; the sheets on my bed were stained; and the wi-fi never worked the whole four days I was there. But the worst part was that when I went to the front desk to ask about the internet I was told by the girl up front that her phone worked just fine.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EricaHamilton2012
Reviewed June 25, 2013

First of four islands in the Galapagos that we stayed on - a welcome start, to recover from the long trip from the UK - and to take in all around us. Perfectly pleasant breakfast and attentive staff. Nice room and good shower - nice and clean

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bobzeeBrighton
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and was not at all impressed. The room was big, but a little dirty, several spiders, and there was no cloth mat or rug for the shower, just a rubber pad. No matter how hard you tried, water leaked onto the bathroom floor from the shower and there was no rug to soak up the mess. Plus, they give you only 1 bath towel and 1 face towel. I was not going to waste those on the floor. So I had to live with water puddles in the bathroom and wet feet. I tried to get another towel; I normally use 2 per shower as I have a lot of hair, but the girl at reception told me, from what Spanish I could interpret, that I was only entitled to 1 towel. She even pointed outside and started naming prices, indicating I could go somewhere and buy one. By the way, no one on the staff I encountered spoke any English.

I had tried on 2 previous occasions to ask for another towel, but both of those times, I decided not to enter the reception area as this same girl was busy making out with her boyfriend on a chair, sitting in his lap. So by my third attempt, I was already pretty annoyed. Clearly, she was not interested much in her job.

And I should mention all the noise at night, which made it extremely difficult to sleep. Roosters were crowing and dogs barking. A tour guide on another island later told me it was illegal to house roosters and chickens in residential areas. So I am not sure why this hotel has done nothing about it.

The final straw came at check-out; there was no check-out. The office was locked and closed and my tour guide had to just sit the key on a window sill so I could leave and not miss my boat to another island. All of these inter-island boats leave at about the same time in the morning, so why is no one at reception in the morning? And I was not the only one who encountered this; there were two other sets of room keys on the window sill before mine.

Also, the wi-fi service is awful. They apparently turn it off at night and most of the morning, plus you cannot connect from your room; you have to be standing right outside the office. That was disappointing.

The island itself was beautiful, but there must be better places to stay here.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed a week in february and loved the hotel. Clean and modern rooms, hot water, and even wifi...pretty good for galapagos. Staff was all very nice as well. There are not many options for hotels in galapagos and hard to find better at this price point.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on San Cristobal without prior booking and found most mid and top range hotels fully booked. We were really lucky to stumble accross Blue Marlin - you get new spacious rooms and huge bathrooms for half the price of the few top range hotels! Stayed for 5 nights and enjoyed every single one. The pool and relaxing area are really nice, breafast area as well. Loved the fridge/minibar. We heard some other guests complaining about the noise (nearby bar, rooster next door) but all was good in room no 8 where we stayed. Perfect ending to our trip and fully recommend this hotel for everyone! Very good value for money. Hint: the beds in twin rooms (cheaper) are big enough for 2.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank EveTrav
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed here for two nights with our tour group. Rooms were large, clean, and beds were comfortable. Breakfast was good. The bathrooms have locking doors and the keys are in the room, so we could lock our belongings in the room when we were out. My only complaint is that whoever cleaned the room unlocked the bathroom door and put the extra keys, which I put inside the bathroom, back out into the room. It is an easy walk to get anywhere in town but it is located in a quiet area away from the main streets.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple