“The best place we've stayed in South America!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Iguana Mar y Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Cristobal
Casa Iguana Mar y Sol
Ranked #3 of 25 San Cristobal B&B and Inns
“The best place we've stayed in South America!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Luis was an amazing host from the second our taxi rolled around to dump our bags mud tour until the second we left. We only wish we had longer to stay here & enjoy Luis welcoming smile & the best breakfast since we left Sydney! The room was the best we've had from the comfy bed to the exquisitly handcrafted window shutters. Patricia & Luis have thought of every detail down to a normal bar of soap & bottle of Pantene in the shower! Luis homegrown coffee was the perfect morning pick me up! Thanks Luis & Patricia you'll be high in our memories of the Galapagos.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Keywebird

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We spent 3 nights at the Casa Iguana and liked it more and more the longer we stayed. Luis and Patricia the owners, were very accommodating and super-friendly. Patricia baked a cake and gave us some afternoon tea and even offered to wash some clothes for us, so nice! We had the smallest room (I think) but it was spacious, clean and very comfortable. Nice breakfast and good wifi, though it only works in the main living area. The deck upstairs was really nice for having a drink in the sunset.
The only negatives were that we were a bit surprised that our bed was not made each morning and the floor on the deck upstairs was quite dirty (we realized when we got up to do some yoga in the morning).

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to be very nice. The bigger rooms had a some sofas and sort of a lounge area...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sessa79
spiralstaircase, Owner at Casa Iguana Mar y Sol, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
We value so much our guests who travel from so far at great expense to visit our island. When our guests are out of their room for an adventure, we tidy the beds and clean the bathrooms., Sometimes this is in the afternoon. Being good stewards of the scant water supply on our desert island, we have long adopted the policy of bed linen changing 2 times per week. I wish I had communicated this norm better to you. Since San Cristobal is windy enough to support wind-generated electric energy , it has also the negative effect of covering all surfaces with lava dust at a maddenly constant rate ! I am sorry you had a lava-dusty experience on the tile terrace surface. Dirty it was not, irritatingly lava dusty, certainly. In this case I wish I had pre cleaned your area of exercise prior to an unpleasant experience, Thank you very much for coming to our home, and the comments which will help me better advise future clients.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Casa Iguana Mar Y Sol for one night. When we arrived we were met by our gracious hosts, Luis and Patricia. The main salon was well appointed and very clean, as was the room we stayed in. Overall the facilites were at higher than typical standards for the area. The room we had (the smallest available) was large with a large and comfortable bed and a private bathroom with a large shower. The room had a fridge which was stocked with cold bottles of water.Large windows allowed for a wonderful cross breeze which blew in off of the ocean.

The home was well cared for and our hosts clearly took a lot of effort to maintain it. On the uppermost floor there is a lovely veranda, offering a spectacular vista of sunsets over the harbour. Patricia speaks both Spanish and English and was able to give us good information for our stay in the town of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno. We were suffering a bit of gastro upset and Patricia offered us some meds to help us out and both she and Luis went above and beyond to make our short stay a pleasant one. The breakfast (included in the cost of the room) was home cooked and very nice, with pancakes and sausages, juice and coffee. The coffee served is home grown on property belonging to the owners and they roast it and serve it to their guests.

I wholeheartedly recommend this lovely home with a beautiful view of the harbour, conveniently located close to everything, far enough away though to offer some relief from the inevitable harbour sounds.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank wprincess4
St. George, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

On our Dec 2012 to the Galapagos, we were able to book a night at the Casa Iguana before meeting our ship for our week long cruise. The owners were working in the yard the evening we arrived and really made us feel welcome. Luis and Patricia showed us around their beautiful Casa (designed and built by Luis). We stayed in a beautiful, open room; a wonderful introduction to the Galapagos. After a great breakfast cooked by Luis, Patricia walked us to the pier to make sure we connected with our travel group. Staying at the Casa Iguana was the prefect start to a perfect Galapagos vacation. Thanks, Patricia and Luis, we hope to return some day!

Room Tip: Take to Patricia if you have any special needs; all rooms seem to be spacious and well designed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Thomas P
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

May be the nicest hotel in town! In the absence of a 5 star and 4 star hotel, this is a welcome surprise filled with love and hospitality that made us feel right at home. It's not just a hotel but a home and a labor of love and we are glad we stayed here. Rooms were clean, breakfast was cooked to order, the coffee, grown and roasted by Louis, who built the entire project, was the best and the kitchen refrigerator was stocked with treats and drinks and edible ice cubes! The garden is beautiful and growing and getting better by the minute. Patricia has thought of your every need. Enjoy your stay here; its a special place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MagTravels
Kamloops
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had a terrific stay at the Casa Iguana Mar Y Sol. Quite possibly the cleanest place we have ever stayed in all of our travels. Pride of ownership really shows here. Luis and Patricia built this B&B from the ground up and the workmanship is very impressive. I should also mention the breakfast that Luis cooks were fabulous and the decorating was perfect. A cab from the airport is $1 and everything else is within waling distance. We were made to feel at home and would certainly love to come back again for another visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LuckyGuy55
LONDON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

It would be hard to find fault or criticise the Casa Iguana!
The love and attention to detail that has gone into every aspect of the building and which is carried through to the service and welcome is really beyond anything I usually experience.
I must say that I don't often stay in guest houses or B&B's as I tend to prefer the amenities of larger hotels, but this came highly recommended by my agent (Imagine Latin America) and for 2 nights I decided to give it a whirl.
I had read all the reviews so knew pretty much what to expect... and really they live up to it. Patricia is very knowledgeable and helpful and she and Luis have a lot of pride in their house and their produce.
My room was lovely - I had the Lobo suite and the minute I saw it I knew I would sleep well there (which is the main thing after all).
The breakfasts (and the famed coffee) were copious and offered with the utmost hospitality. Luis is a cheery chap and sat with me each morning (despite my poor Spanish) and kept me company whilst I ate and made sure I didn't want anything more. I have rarely had such big breakfasts and his cheese omelette was amazing!
Location is excellent - just 30 secs to the seafront and about 5 mins to a very pretty beach with bar and facilities.
I would definitely recommend to anybody visiting San Cristobal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo