“Loved it!”

and up
5-Day Galapagos All Inclusive Classic Isabela
Ranked #3 of 37 things to do in Isabela
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We loved this hike. It was interesting and a very cool experience to see an active volcano. Although it was a very long walk, it's not particularly strenuous if you are a hiker. Most of the trail is flat. Being from Colorado, I would compare this to a long day hike in the mountains, except with better weather and way more oxygen. After the hike, we went to Campo Duro for lunch in the Highlands, which was great! It's a beautiful place and they have a land tortoise refuge.

It took us 4 1/2 hours round trip with breaks to complete the hike to Vulcan Chico. The caldera is cool and the extra hike to Vulcan Chico to see the recent lava fields is worth it. The one warning I have though is that once you get to Vulcan Chico, there are a lot of loose rocks and its hilly, so be sure to bring good shoes. If you are considering doing this hike but are unsure because of the activity level - I think it'd be good to consider whether you would normally be comfortable walking 6-12 miles on a normal day with some hills. The elevation gain is considerably minimal, but it's a long hike.
Also - our guide did tell us older people tended to struggle with this though.

Overall, we really enjoyed it and I recommend at least making it to the caldera if you can do it!

3  Thank Ann R
"geological formations"
"leisurely pace"
"passion fruit"

Reviewed March 22, 2013

i spent over two weeks doing land based travel and this is probably the worst value for money.
its super expensive to have a guide walk you through mud for 80% of the time, and then only get to be on the actual basalt for 30-40 minutes. plus the trail is crowded with every person who has to be in a group with a guide so you aren't actually able to see birds etc b/c the nature is so disturbed with all the tourists.

the trail is clearly marked and is a shame that they make you get a guide and an expensive cab fare. its far from town and although the view is nice, and the crater is big, it was disappointing

if you do go, make sure to find a place to put your hand in the earth where the heat is pumping out of the volcano, that is pretty cool.

4  Thank kayrez
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We loved this hike! You first go up a dirt path and come to the volcano's caldera. It's just huge and quite a sight to see. You continue walking along one side of the crater's rim and head through vegetations to the trail leading to the barren lava fields. This part of the hike is very uneven, over sharp loose lava rocks, but if you can handle the terrain you will not be disappointed. The whole landscape looks like it was created for a science fiction movie: jutting rocks, weird plants, lava tubes, multi-colored rocks, huge sink holes, and then when you get to the top, a view over Isabella Island that is breathtaking! We thought it was amazing!
But be warned: We passed a lot of very unhappy, weary looking hikers...you will need to take lots of water because you climb uphill a lot of the way and the trail is completely in the open. You will get no shade at all so it can be very hot! Also, it is listed as a strenuous hike, and while we found it fairly easy, we are in good shape and do lots of hiking. This is NOT a hike for someone who is not physically fit!
But if you are, then don't miss this one...it is a fabulous hike all about the landscapes and the views!

1  Thank Irene A
Reviewed February 26, 2013

SO if you have boots wear them if not good sneakers. Whatever you wear it will get wet and muddy. Our socks were so gross we had to bring them back in ziplock bags, which is a good idea for lots of wet stuff ect. It is a very nice hike to the first volcano with a stop for lunch (packed sandwiches an apple and juice) under a shade tree. We had good weather, lots of sun wear sunscreen! Bring a rain coat though it rained the last 1/2 hour down and we could see the rain coming from the top. The last part of the hike to volcan chico part (hour out hour back) is hard work we stopped to rest and let the rest of our group go. My husband had been sick all week and we thought it best he rested and I decided I had spent most of the tour watching my feet so I didn't fall that I wanted to look at the scenery for awhile so I waited with him. This is a long day-five hours I think. We went snorkeling at tinoraras after which was tiring but welcomed after the long hot climb. We are in our mid-thirties and decently active. All I could think was I am glad I am doing this while I am young! But there were much older people doing it (although they looked like they did this kind-of thing all the time). Only one bathroom at starting point be aware.

3  Thank Danielle O