“A Beautiful Hike!”

$800.00*
Galapagos Islands Explorer Package from Santa Cruz Island
Ranked #5 of 25 things to do in Isabela
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I did the 12 mile hike up the caldera and around to the lava flows with a group of students, and I can honestly say it was one of my favorite activities out of the 14 days we spent on the Galapagos Islands. The climb up was a bit rough, but the views were absolutely worth it, and the fog/rain was appreciated to keep us cool. Once we got to the top, the sun came out and the views were just stunning.

This is a must-see if you are spending any time on Isabela, and you don't mind getting a bit tired and muddy for a day!

There are newer reviews for Sierra Negra

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We went on a great day, it was sunny and dry with great views. Our tour guide did a vote for english or spanish for the tour and spanish won. I knew enough to get by, and the guide would walk by us and update us in english on anything we missed. Also there were several other bilingual tourists who also helped translate. The crater was very nice to see, but walking to Volcano Chico was impressive. We had a lot of loose rock and big rocks to climb in which case an older woman had to turn around and wait for us further back on the trail. I wore chacos and did ok, but boots of course would have been better. Bring plenty of water! it was fun to look out and see the other side of isabela island and some of the surrounding smaller islands from the top. We paid 70 dollars for the tour and were provided a box lunch.

1  Thank mbhdIowaCity
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were lucky to have walked on a bright sunny day after two continuous week of non-stop rain. We had the gumboots on at some part of the hike, but the view of the caldera, the second largest in the world, was definitely worth the 16km trek.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Part of a package tour, this was definitely a highlight of Isabela. Even though it was foggy, we saw an impressive vista of the crater and from a distance, Volcan Chico. The hike back was especially muddy and my shoes were caked through and through. Definitely bring good hiking shoes you don't mind getting mucked up. An alternate way to see this is via horseback, but we hiked. There would not have been enough time to see Chico up close but that was part of the original itinerary...beware since you would not make it back to do the second part of the day's tour at Las Tintoreras.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I have seen pictures of Sierra Negro, and I think it is a beautiful volcano. I am all for a hike, especially one with an amazing view at the end. However, the day our group was scheduled to ascend the volcano, it was too foggy to see anything from the first lookout about 30 minutes up, so we decided to just go back down. We left Sierra Negro with no caldera pictures, but PLENTY of mud in our shoes.