“Nice stay on a lone island”

Floreana Lava Lodge
San Francisco, California
“Nice stay on a lone island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The "hotel" was comprised of small, wooden cabins by the sea. The bathroom was very small, everything was very primitive. The room was clean. There was no tv, no coffee maker, no Internet, no phone reception. All these gave a special perspective of the Galapagos experience. Just walk out of the cabin, it was the ocean. I saw seals swimming and lots of colourful crabs walking around. The next morning, I saw blue herring standing at the tip of the pavilion outside of the cabins. It was such an interesting stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ydenw

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Red Mangrove Lodge on Floreana are individual cabins -- Nothing more, nothing less. It was exactly what I expected after looking at the on-line pictures and reading the description. Do not expect the cabin to be anything like a hotel room stay. I would describe the cabin as something you would find in a campground, only much smaller. Our bedding was clean, the airconditioner worked well, but the bunkbed did wobble a bit, so of the 3 of us traveling, we decided to have the least heavy person stay in the top bunk. I agree with a fellow reviewer that the bathroom could have been cleaned better, but we were fortunate to have packed a package of Lysol To Go Wipes and we used them here and there (I found this item in the travel size section of my home pharmacy for @ $1.50) All of the water on Galapagos Islands is a treasured resource, so these wipes, along with a small bottle of purel, I think are worth the minimal cost and slight weight to a suitcase. Dinner at Lela's restaurant (the only restaurant on the island) was fine. We were served a small portion of swordfish that we were told was carried with us on our boat ride to the island. The road to the cabins is quite bumpy, so holding on tight while traveling in the chiva was necessary, but we chaulked it up to the adventure. Bugspray for the mosquitos is mandatory - this is another item that comes in travel size. Even with the bugs, this is one of my favorite islands from our trip. We sat outside in the morning and listened to the calming waves, loved the island's history, and the snorkeling was fantastic!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank pixann
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I almost got thrown into the water and crushed by the boat upon arrival since I was the first one getting off from the front deck of the boat. The only thing that save me was my good balance from teaching snowboarding for many years. Their staff got all excited ,yelling in Spanish as the boat rocked away from the docking site by the incoming wave. This happens shortly after our boat to boat transfer in the open sea that end up with a guest twisting her ankle and needed to go to the local hospital
They don`t have any proper facility for docking at their docking site. The boat just keep rocking in and out of the cement slab by the wave. (No rubber absorbent on the dock either) The worker on the dock will just grab you when the boat was pushed in by the wave.
The cabin at the Floreana Lodge is just horrific! From the outside, the cabin is kind of cute and lovely. My daughters were so excited initially! Our daughters were being assigned a cabin far away from us even though we requested a room next to each other.Soon we discovered that there are dead and alive bugs everywhere. Yes, I know it is Galapogos! I am talking about dried up dead bugs underneath our bed sheets which were there for at least a few months! Should it be detected and removed long time ago if their staff change the bedding when they clean up the room. The pillow and blanket smell so badly , I just don`t know how many guests have share that same unwashed pillow cases! My wife and I end up sharing a single bed that night ( It has fewer dead bugs,hopefully less bed bugs too underneath that bed). We were wearing long john ,socks and hoodies so our body would not contact any of their materials. A huge 4 inches cockroach jump down from the ceiling and landed next to my feet when I came out from my shower. Out of panic, I crushed it with the hotel slipper. It was so grossed that I just covered it with their waste basket in the middle of the room.
We noticed that the waste basket was never moved and the bed sheets were not changed for the next guest when we have to pick up our hiking stick from our cabin after the room is cleaned for the next arriving guest.
This is totally unacceptable consider how much money we paid Red Mangrove!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank dennisk32
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

The complex of cottages looks very cute and it is in a great location with beautiful ocean views. However, cottages themselves are not exactly comfortable - they are small and unbarebly hot (AC could not catch up with the heat). As they are made of wood, floors are creaky. The bathrooms are tiny. There is only sporadic internet connection near the outdoor sitting area. Insects are relentless, particularly around the sunset. Food is served in a decent, family owned restaurant in town.
Complaint: I notified the company in advance about my sea food allergies, I even got a braclett of a certain color which apparently warns staff about my dietary restrictions when I checked in, and yet there was nothing but sea food for dinner in this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Leotar
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I enjoyed the remote Red Mangrove Floreana. The island is barely populated, only about 120 people. The cottage were quaint but needed better fans/cooling. The view was beautiful and it was nearly silent but for the waves and birdsong. There is no restaurant on site and the road to reach it is a bit treacherous but it was worth it for the site. All the Red Mangrove Lodges we stayed in were very good and I would return without hesitation. Our Red Mangrove host, Raphael, was excellent and took very good care of us.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Yes the rooms are hot and poorly designed. The shame was that it was really nice outside but you couldn't get any breeze in the unit because there is no cross ventilation. I felt I wasted my precious time going to this island when I could have been seeing wildlife and snorkeling somewhere else. The snorkeling was bad, but I think it was because they took us late in the day and the visibility was very poor due to the lack of light. Some other people who stayed there another time said they saw enough to be satisfied. The good points are you can see the turtles in their natural environment and the stars are spectacular at night.

The local restaurant you have to eat at is pitiful. They don't serve enough food for the group - ie one bowel of granola for six or more people served family style, and the quality is very basic. Vegans had an impossible time. There was alot of booze at this island and I think that is to placate the lack of anything to do.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank peskykitty
Niwot, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Our family of five (two teenage girls and a 20 something boy) absolutely loved this spectacular and isolated beachside retreat. You can't beat the location of these cabins on the ocean, at the end of the dirt road (one of only two or three roads on the whole island!) on this most isolated of Galapagos islands. This was by far our favorite of the Red Mangrove lodges, and, like most of those who come here, spent one night, but we would have really liked to have spent more time here. The food at the local restaurant was fantastic, and the feel at this family owned place could not have been better. The snorkeling at the beach and bay about a 10 minute walk from the cabins was spectacular, including the chance to swim with sea turtles and sea lions. Don't miss the chance to watch the sunrise over the island at this same snorkeling spot, where we could not decide whether to watch and take pictures of the beautiful sunrise or the sea lion cubs covorting not more than 10 yards from our chosen spot on the beach. This spot provides for all of the best we were hoping for in our Galapagos adventure: great wildlife viewing, isolation, island beauty and a chance to enjoy our time together.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Floreana
Hotel Mar Azul
#2 of 20 in Puerto Ayora
Hostal Rincon de George
Hostal Rincon de George
#7 of 10 in Isabela

Been to Floreana Lava Lodge? Share your experiences!