My wife and I designed a trip that started in Buenos Aires and then we spent time in Patagonia. We were thinking of going to Machu Picchu on our return to the States, but we opted instead for the small town of Cotacachi in Ecuador. After exchanging several emails with a very polite, helpful and charming Clemencia we decided to try something a little different. We spent 3 nights at La Mirage and our choice for picking an out of the way spot was rewarded with a very special paradise that my wife and I were able to enjoy.
We were picked up at the new Quito Airport by Rafael who safely drove us to the hotel, stopping at the Equator and pointing out all that was interesting. We immediately hired him to drive us around the area on Saturday and show us the sights including the marketplace in Otavalo. We arrived in the evening and were told that they upgraded us (for no reason) to a suite. Our suite was amazing ... it consisted of two rooms, two bathrooms and two working fireplaces. The suite was furnished very tastefully and we were very happy staying there. My wife and I usually stay at "high end" hotels and La Mirage clearly stands up to the very best. The restaurant served us amazing breakfasts and dinners. The menu was diverse and we were amazed by the quality of the food along with the talent of the chef. By the way, the chef stopped by our table every evening to make sure we were happy with his dinner.
Breakfasts are very good and very enjoyable. We ate watching peacocks and humming birds just outside our large picture window that overlooked the gardens. There are gardens everywhere on this large property and it is truly an oasis in Ecuador.
One of the nicest touches that the hotel offered us was at the end of the dinner. We were asked while signing the check if we would like a fire in our fireplace and if so, which one or both. We opted for a fire in our bedroom fireplace each night, and when we walked back to our room, there was a blazing fire that had just been lit for us.
We found that staying three nights and having two full days to explore the area was perfect. Rafael gave us a wonderful tour of the marketplace, the culture and the volcanos. We also spent a day wandering the main street in Cotacachi which is a fascinating town with friendly people. Living in New York City, we rarely end up buying things on our vacations, but Cotacachi proved to be the exception. Stylish high-quality leather goods can be purchased for very little money. We bought leather jackets and coats for our kids and my wife bought a few for herself.
This is a very fine resort with an amazing staff. My very strong suggestion to anyone who reads my review is to "take the leap" and go to this off the beaten path resort. If you do, then you too will be rewarded with a great experience. This is a spot that my wife and I will always remember fondly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Mirage is a contemporary resort built on the grounds of a 200-year-old hacienda. Wander through the extraordinary fragrant hummingbird-filled gardens, watching peacocks strolling by. Enjoy delightful regional and international cuisine. Relax in the unique and elegant spa for a variety of 11 different treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your La Mirage Garden Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Mirage Garden Hotel And Spa
- La Mirage Garden Hotel Cotacachi
- La Mirage Garden Hotel & Spa Ecuador/Cotacachi