“Recent visit to Cotacachi, Ecuador”
Review of La Cuadra Hotel

and 1 more site!
La Cuadra Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Cotacachi B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I just returned from Cotacachi, Ecuador where \we had a very enjoyable stay at the LaCuadra Hostal. Jairo Gomez (General Manager), speaks speaks English and Spanish was very friendly as was his staff. The premises were spotless. Our room was nice with the basic necessities. Beds were firm and sleeping was no problem. We opted for a private bath, but there are rooms available with a communal bath. The internet was suitable, however, when many people wanted to use it it slowed down a bit. This was around the end of the day when everyone got back from shopping, etc. and wanted to check emails, etc. In an hour or so, things cleared up and the internet was fine. The second floor had a large dining room, TV viewing area where cable tv was available as well as DVD both in Spanish and English. Plenty of places to sit and two [2] large dining room tables. It was nothing to see a couple of families all gathered around the dining room tables chatting, having a glass of wine or drink; and, even eating their meals. Everyone just worked together. There was a large shared kitchen where dishes, silverware, glasses, pots and pans etc. were furnished. Everyone shared the refrigerator. The people we met that were passing through or just spending time in Cotacachaci were pleasant and all in all LaCuadra was a restful, peaceful, safe and friendly place to stay. Jairo took the time to help us in search of some items in Cotacachi and even offered to take us to the store in his vehicle. He was very helpful. I would highly recommend LaCuadra to anyone visiting Cotacachi. The prices were very reasonable as well. Roger and Jody Rosenthal

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Roger R
There are newer reviews for La Cuadra Hotel

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My family and I are moving to Ecuador and from all the good reviews about this one we decided to stay here till our house is build. Amazing is the way to describe the service here. Jairo (owner) is the best person to help you out and goes above and beyond the requirements to make sure you have what you need. You could waste your money at some designer place with terrible service but why do that when you can have the best service for a reasonable price. The hostel does not feel like a hostel but more like when you stay at a family or very close friends house. Jairo treats everyone the same, like family. The hostel is adding 18 more rooms, a jacuzzi, and a resturante. With Jario in charge it will just as amazing or (if it can be) better. Need I say more the hostel is the way to go, you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank JubJubBird_11
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Spent two weeks in January 2013. Room was immaculate, good price, and the owner, Jairo was a great host. He speaks English, works hard for you and makes every effort to make your stay comfortable. He helped us with reservations and recommendations. The front of the hostal has street noise but it is bearable. Jairo is building an addition in back which will solve the problem and every room will have a private bath. We recommend this stay in Cotacachi.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I arrived in Quito in Mid September. Our intended destination was Cotacachi because of its small town atmosphere. We stayed in a small hostal in Quito where we met two wonderful older sisters who raved about staying at this hostal in Cotacachi and the excellent service they received while staying there. We wrote the name down while we talked over breakfast.

Upon arriving in Cotacachi, we went to the recommend hostal which turned out to be the La Cuadra. We were greeted warmly by a smiling gentleman named Jairo Gomez. Jairo (hi-row, roll the r) yes, that was a mouthful for us as we are unfamiliar with Spanish. Fortunately, Jairo speaks English as he has spent time in the U.S. We were happy to converse with Jairo as he filled us in on a multitude of subjects concerning Cotacachi. He taught us so much about this small town that we decided to settle in. His recommendations on restaurants, culture, shopping, markets, sights, banks and so much more were spot on and welcome. The informational crash course saved us time and money and he helped us feel more prepared in dealing with the changes that lay before us. We can not tell you the importance of an English speaking friend in a Spanish speaking country. We were, and still to this day are happy to have met Jairo and his wonderful family.

Let us convey the depth of Jairo’s kind nature. As luck would have it, I succumbed to travelers disease. Being sick and dehydrated, my wife called Jairo and said I needed to go to the hospital. He immediately took us to the local hospital and translated the necessary information and conditions affecting me. I needed to remain at the hospital. Jairo returned after 1:00 AM with my wife to pick me up. As luck would have it I had to go to the hospital the very next night and again Jairo came to our rescue! We don't know what we would have done without him!

My wife returned to the states to finish work and I remained at La Cuadra for an additional 4 weeks at which time Jairo has been an inspiration and a great friend. We treasure our friendship with this special person who continually goes above and beyond any call of duty! We continue to see him from time to time.

In my five weeks at La Cuadra, I had been placed on the second and third floor. The rooms are clean, modern and very much up to date. The beds are quality made and firm. This is the one of the requirements that I have in selecting a hotel/hostel. I also love taking long hot showers and at La Cuadra, they have gas fired tankless heaters which means you will not run out of hot water! Heavenly!

Many of the hostals here in Cotacachi are housed in old buildings some in very old buildings. La Cuadra is new, modern and up to date. We enjoyed our stay in La Cuadra and have met many expats from numerous states in the U.S. The view of both Mt. Imbabura and Mt Cotacachi from the rooftop terrace is amazing and perfect for photographing. There is an entertainment center on the second floor. A large flat screen, surround sound and a huge selection of DVD’s for your entertainment. Watch what you want, when you want, we love that. The wireless Internet is also included. There is a kitchen that you may have full use of any time day or night.

His cleaning staff, notably a local indigenous lady named Maria is polite and superb at her job. She cleans the rooms with great efficiency. Our stay at La Cuadra has been a blessing to both my wife and I. We would not hesitate to recommend this fine Hostal to any and all visitors of Cotacachi, especially if you are not familiar or fluent in Spanish.

This letter of recommendation was created by Ray and Sandy Ching, formerly of Florida. We are real people and currently reside in Cotacachi, Ecuador. We are currently building our house and intend on living here. We are not employed or have any business relationships with La Cuadra or Jairo Gomez.

We are planning a blog- (ray and sandy in Cotacachi). We hope to have it up soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank kalo4u
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this property for 3 nights starting January 17th. The rooms with bathrooms are booked in advance so we had a shared bathroom which was fine. The owner was great and a interesting and friendly guy who spent many years in the states...if you need info on your trip he is a great source. This hostel has shared kitchen and dining area and most of the gringos there were plotting to relocate to Ecuador....so it is a good place to exchange info if that is your plan. The only downside is the internet which was a constant battle for most people. The router had to be reset numerous times...apparently a normal occurrence. Try to get a room on the backside or 3rd floor or bring earplugs. All in all....for the local knowledge and cost the best place to stay in Cotacatchi.

Room Tip: Ask for off street room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My choice for this "hotel" was based on the very positive reviews made on this web site. What we shiuld know before going at La Cuadra is : the majority of rooms do NOT have a bathroom so people share bathrooms and carry the towel (to clean hands) and the toilet paper when using a bathroom; there is no hot water only in the showers where water is warm not hot; the hotel is located on one of the main streets so buses and trucks pass by non stop; the wi-fi works only on the main floor and the common area on the second floor (there are 4 floors); noise from any floor is heard every where so when a guess watch tv in the common living room area, you get the booming sound in the room; school starts at 7h a.m. so we ear the school siren at 7h every morning of he week days. The two positive points are : the cleanliness and the owner Jairo :bhe is very helpful, he knows places, people, restos and is always there for info. So when making reservation, ensure that get one of the few room with a private bathroom and be ready for noises and noises from the street.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank hopes-it-helps
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I found this place by chance, a cop recommended it. It's a great place, and a real bargain. They clean the hostel top to bottom every day, it's spotless. And Jairo is a great guy. The kitchen is huge and very well equipped.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank peripatetic74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cotacachi
La Mirage Garden Hotel & Spa
#2 of 11 in Cotacachi
Land of the Sun Hotel & Spa
Land of the Sun Hotel & Spa
#6 of 11 in Cotacachi

Been to La Cuadra Hotel? Share your experiences!