“Best value for money, clean & friendly”

Land of the Sun Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 11 Cotacachi B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have stayed in El Meson ( now called Tierra del Sol) in two occasions this year. On the first occasion we got a room that was too small and uncomfortable but soon found out that there were a few bigger rooms and comfortable ones to rent if booked early enough. This we did on our second trip which made our stay comfortable and enjoyable. The hospitality and cleanliness is good and the church bells did not bother us very much. Yes, the floors are creaky ( what do you expect in an old villa) but by evening it is very quiet and our sleep was never disturbed until morning. Franklin and the employees are very helpful and they do their best to keep their guests happy. It's definitely the best value for money and furthermore, you help support the local community in quaint Cotacachi.

Room Tip: Room 111 or the apartment on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Minie R

Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here 2 nights a few weeks back. Thanks to the reviews I was adequately prepared for the church bells. They start ringing at 6am and go every 15 minutes until 6:30. The floors are squeaky without a doubt. Also, our room was along a very busy street in which people hung outside talking and it is a main thoroughfare for bus traffic as well.

However, it is a quaint place with a polite and friendly staff. You have to remember people....you're not in Kansas anymore....it's Ecuador. Stop expecting all your American amenities. Enjoy the time, culture, history and most importantly the people. Cotacachi is a great little town and you are a .45 bus ride from the markets in Otavalo or even the bigger town of Ibarra.

Would I stay here again....sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Michael T
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Coming to Cotacachi after being in Quito, the crisp, cold, and clean air was refreshing. The room was very clean and the real queen sized bed was very comfortable with a firm interspring mattress. The bathroom was a little on the small side, but also nice. Yes, the church bells go off at 6AM, but not as loud as I thought they would be. You can hear the road noise, but it wasn't very often. The room had neither a phone or television which can be a plus or minus depending on your point of view. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank fongball
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Spent the night. Room was comfortable and clean. Bathroom was decent although the shower drained slowly so left us in an inch or so of our water during our shower.

Breakfast was adequate. Dinner was nearly inedible.

The town is quaint, quiet, and not worth more than a night stay and an hour or two stroll. If you love leather, stay longer, but otherwise, you come for a quick afternoon and little more (if you must).

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Having been to Cotacachi 4 times now, I always stay here, it feels like home to me. Reading other reviewers comments ... yes the floors are creaky & the church bells do ring, occasionally you hear a car roaring down the street or dogs barking as well. It's my opinion that these things stick out as being "noisy" because otherwise the place is so quiet, abnormally quiet from where I live at least.
It's not a five star chateaux relais, (though there is one in Cotacachi, La Mirage which is wonderful if that’s more your style) but it is a five star experience and treatment from the staff, in the setting of an old (updated) Hacienda style home with large center court yard and a fireplace room (which the will light for you if you like). The staff (who are all local indigenous people) here are some of the most courteous, warm and friendly that I have ever come across. For me I love this place ... I travel for experience and culture of a place and to meet the people, this place does that for me. It's clean and safe and for me quite comfortable.
If you decide to go here, you might enquire ahead of time if there will be a large group like one of the posters mentioned and schedule around it or go elsewhere. Each room is diffrent so ask ahead for a room that meets your needs (i.e.: the quietest room you have) And if things are not as you hoped, ask the guy at the front desk if its possible to switch rooms, in my experience they are very accommodating and will do whatever they can to make your stay pleasant.
The name has changed to Hotel Tierra del Sol, but as far as I can tell the rest remains the same.
All the best, and have a great time in Cotacachi.

Room Tip: Some rooms have street side windows (more noise but also a view of the street and life below), while...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank spfoto39
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Our first trip to Ecuador, our first hotel and we were so excited to finally get there and get some rest. Not to happen. Firstly on walking in with our luggage and giving them our name, they did not have our reservation. And we were also signed up for a tour through them, which they did not have our name on that list either. They were swamped with a group from Quito's International Living visitors, that decided to drop in...they took us accross the street to a 2 bdrm apt. they owned, and showed it to us asking if we could share this with another lady?!? lol We declined. Mind, our reservations were made months ago...well, they finally juggled 4 other people around, and gave us a room. We were shocked about how noisy it was...the whole place was a huge echo chamber...and the wooden floors squeaked horribly. We could hear the staff, on the bottom floor, in the kitchen starting their day, right after the church bells (right next door) go off at 6 a.m., they do not just ring 6 times either, they go on and on and on .... second morning, no hot water & that nite when it rained heavily the power went off in the sockets we were using for the floor heater and my laptop. Well, bottom line, we think its highly overpriced and highly over-rated. I've never had to write a review before, but I do know people truly like to know from others about their experiences, I know I do.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank DRobinson16
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We had high hopes based on Gary Scott's websites, but were disappointed. The hotel is an old, renovated building but still has the (presumably) original plank floors which are very noisy (at least on the 2nd floor). They creak and groan with every step, and the noise woke me up in the middle of the night when my wife went to the bathroom--even though I was wearing silicon earplugs! Rooms are sparten; ours lacked even a single comfortable chair, no table or desk, no TV or telephone. When traveling I like to get up early (before dawn) and walk around a new town, watching it come to life. I woke up my wife (and likely our neighbors) with the loud floor squeaks in our room (and later as I walked around the wooden balcony to get to the stairs, I felt guilty for disturbing the occupants of all the rooms I passed). Then, when I was ready to leave and opened the door to our room, it, too, squealed like a banshee (this is an oil exporting country, and they can't oil the door hinges?). When I got to the dark lobby around 6 am, I found I was locked in--I waited and finally a sleepy staff member appeared and unlocked the front door. Forget early coffee or food, the restaurant doesn't open until 7:30--tough luck if you want to get an early start on hiking, etc. Another major problem was that the staff speaks very little English (despite this being the base for Mr. Scott's seminars which target English speakers). They can decipher simple phrases but cannot carry on a dialogue or understand non-routine questions. (By the way, they also bungled an airport pick-up in Quito--we finally had to take a taxi.) Despite having planned to stay longer, we checked out after two nights (I was locked in again the second morning), and moved to a delightful small hotel in Otavalo (a $5, 15-minute taxi ride). My advice to attendees of Mr. Scott's seminars is to stay elsewhere and just show up at the hotel for the meetings. (See our review of La Posada del Quinde in Otavalo for a much more comfortable place to stay.)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Gary31310
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cotacachi
La Mirage Garden Hotel & Spa
Hacienda- Hosteria Chorlavi
Yellow Guest House
Yellow Guest House
#2 of 11 in Cotacachi

Been to Land of the Sun Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!