“A fantastic place to stay in Dili”
Review of Discovery Inn

and 1 more site!
Discovery Inn
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Dili
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have just come back from two days in Dili as a tourist, curious to find out a bit more about the town. I was lucky enough to stay at the superb Discovery Inn which went far beyond my expectations.
It is spotlessly clean, has wonderful bright rooms with so many extras included and the breakfasts are very generous, with lots of hot and cold dishes. For main meals, the Diya restaurant is one of the best restaurants I have used in this region of the world, as the food is always first-class and the Happy Hour in the afternoons is a welcome addition.
As the hotel mainly has business clients, there are suitable facilities for their use.
Free airport transfers were very welcome and above all, I was so impressed with the attitude of the staff who are so professional and always smiling.

Room Tip: Try a room with a Double Queen bed.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
ZeenatAwan, Guest Relations Coordinator at Discovery Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear David L,

Thank you kindly for your very positive review of Discovery Inn. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed every facet of what we have on offer and that our hotel catered to your needs.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The fantastic team at the Discovery Inn made my trip to Timor Leste all the more enjoyable. The staff were friendly, efficient and helpful and rooms impeccably clean and well appointed. The level of cuisine in the Diya Restaurant is a pleasant surprise for anyones taste buds and happy hour at The Deck Cafe & Bar helps lubricate the evening with free drinks & gourmet canapés for in house guests. A definite recommend for all.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Nichollsg,

Thank you so much for your review of Discovery Inn on Trip Advisor.

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff and facilities met all of your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Dili.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I’m happy I’ve found so terrific place to stay in Dili as Discovery Inn.
Rooms are pleasant, clean and modern, with fast internet. Staff are very polite, helpful and kind, always smiling, dealing with all your needs.
The hotel guarantee free airport transfers.
I’ve enjoyed delicious, simple breakfast – fantastic deck upstairs.
The hotel is centrally located, walking distance of a couple of good restaurants. I’ll be back there for sure.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear GrzegorzWisniewski,

Thank you for your taking time our to provide feedback on Trip Advisor. We are so pleased that you enjoyed all that Discovery Inn has to offer and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at the Discovery Inn with a colleague in a twin bed deluxe room while on a business trip from 19-21 March. This was an 'upgraded' choice for us as we had managed to secure promotion price air tickets on this trip.

The hotel is near the Presidential Palace and there is a branch of the ANZ bank and some restuarants around the corner. The waterfront is a 5-10 minutes walk away. I would not comment on the location as I had my own means of transport from my local contacts,

The hotel is spread over 2 floors with Diya restaurant on the 1st floor and a open-air bar (that doubles as the breakfast room) on the 2nd floor. From my estimate there are 10-12 rooms per floor. Pre-booking and checkin were commendably quick, and we very welcomed the complimentary orange juice drink as a respite from the Dili heat. We also noted the security guard posted outside the hotel that reassured us.

The room itself is decorated quite perfunctorily, but everything is clean and well-organised. The room and toilet were smaller than I thought they would be though. Everything worked very well and we have no complaints about the shower, toilet, water pressure, aircon, television, lights, internet etc. The wifi/cable signal was strong enough for us to work on our laptops while in the room.

As mentioned, breakfast is served in the 2nd floor open-air bar. The choice is adequate but I was impressed with the standard of the egg omelette that I ordered. Kudos to the chef.

Do make sure that you arrange a complimentary airport transfer with the front desk, they will send you back to the airport in a nice SUV which will take 15-20mins. All in all, we feel that the staff give really good service. We would consider staying back at the Discovery Inn while on the next business trip if there was some form of promotional rates for online booking.

Room Tip: Request for a room on the 2nd floor, restaurant customers will pass by some of the rooms on the 1st...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kingoasis
ZeenatAwan, Guest Relations Coordinator at Discovery Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Hello kingoasis,

Thank you very much for taking out the time to review Discovery Inn on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate it.

Thank you also for your feedback. We have taken it on board and have particularly passed on your compliments to the Chef at the Deck. We are pleased to see that you made the most of everything that Discovery Inn has to offer and look forward to welcoming you next time you visit Dili.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

located close to the water and the delightful wi-fi enabled seaside rendez-vous that attracts Dili's young people on the weekends, this hotel is a welcoming, comfortable and convenient place to stay. All the staff are welcoming and helpful, and the room comes with a pleasant buffet breakfast, as well as a happy hour that includes 2 free drinks and some very nice hors d'oeuvres each evening. Another big plus is the Diya restaurant on the premises, which has excellent food and service. A "supermarket" is just around the corner, the ANZ bank across the street, and a couple eating options are literally a minute or two away by foot. A very nice stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ZeenatAwan, Guest Relations Coordinator at Discovery Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Hello Rob B,

Thank you for your recent post on Discovery Inn's Trip Advisor page. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed all facets of your stay. Discovery Inn has only recently implemented a daily Happy Hour, so it is wonderful to hear that you are enjoying our newest feature.

Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have to say, the thing that impressed me the most about the Discovery Inn is the service. I arrived the first day and was worried about the location of the room and the front office staff truly did go above & beyond to find me a different room that I was more comfortable in. I appreciate that so much! The breakfast is simple, but very nice. The executive chef from the restaurant adds special treats like chickpea curry and fresh made-to-order eggs. We also had dinner at the hotel restaurant the first night and it was superb! They even have a great wine selection.

I can't stress enough how wonderful and helpful the staff was here. That is usually, for me, what sets a hotel apart. I can stay in the most swank 5 star hotel in any city in the world, but if the service is lacking, it just falls a little flat. Dili is a city that is still developing and the country is still recovering, so finding a nice little tucked away hotel that is clean and well run in this city is a true find!

The only thing that kept this hotel from getting a perfect score from me is my little mushroom garden in my bathroom. It would seem there is probably a pipe leak, so there was quite the hearty mushroom collection in the bathroom when I arrived. In all fairness, the staff was trying to clean it up, but the only way to get rid of it will be to fix the pipe.

Room Tip: Some of the interior rooms are windowless and feel a bit like a cell. If you are even a bit claustro...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Hello lawgeek77,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Discovery Inn. It pleases all our staff to hear that your needs were met throughout your stay and that you were made to feel comfortable.

Thank you also, for having drawn our attention to the maintenance issue in your bathroom. This was passed on and immediately rectified.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed at Discovery when I first came to Dili in late September. I had found it to be a very good place to stay back then as well. I stayed for about two weeks but had to move to a serviced apartment. I had family coming over and needed the extra space.

I moved back here yesterday and was dazzled again by the professionalism of the staff. It's not easy to find such professionalism in Dili. And also, everyone is always smiling. The bed and pillows are comfortable and the bed and bathroom linens are clean and soft. The restaurant is one of the best in Dili. Breakfast offers a variety of dishes. Also the hotel's location is very convenient. If you become tired of having the same food every night, you can always step outside and find a number of restaurants within the same block. The ANZ Bank is right across the street with all its functioning ATMs and K-Manek supermarket has a small branch a few steps away from the hotel as well.

So, I feel at home here! I I highly recommend Discovery Inn and will myself stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose one of the rooms next to the restaurant, offers more light.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Hello mermaid 0226,

Thank you for your loyalty to Discovery Inn and for posting your positive comments on Trip Advisor

It is great to know that you have been pleased with your experiences on each stay and I have also shared your pleasant feedback with our team.

We hope you enjoy the rest of your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again and again.