“Good spot to meet others, helpful manager”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dili
East Timor Backpackers
Ranked #9 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Dili
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This seemed the best budget option in Dili, and was a great spot to meet other travelers over a beer in the garden area, which is what made the stay for us. Rita, the manager, knows all you need to know for traveling in East Timor and is super helpful.

The place could do with a bit of TLC, which likely hasn't happened due to a lack of competition for the backpacker dollar, but his is where we'd head if we're lucky enough to visit East Timor again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for East Timor Backpackers

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I've rated the East Timor Backpackers 4 stars as while I do try and compare all the hostels I stay in with each other I also have to consider the location of the hostel as well. So while if located in pretty much any other country I would have rated this hostel lower, East Timor is still very much a developing country and as such don't expect something super slick and shinny when you arrive. The rooms/showers/kitchen etc were basic but everything was clean and in working order. Yes the wi-fi is limited, you'll basically be able to check email and that's about it but again remember were you are, I've stayed in much more high end places that didn't have free wi-fi. The main appeal of the hostel is the staff and the other guests. I was traveling alone and was able to get information from other travelers and staff as to what to check out and how to get around and there are loads of cheap eateries within walking distance and always fellow travelers willing to join me for food.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank CliodhnaZtoical
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I visited this hostel and am trying to be fair in my review given the very reasonable price and lack of suitable alternatives in Dili, but overall I was not impressed. We stayed in a dorm then moved into a double room the next night. I barely slept in the Dorm it was cramped and lack of power points and an AC that was so loud that we had to turn it off.
I was hoping the private room would be better but I would describe it as shabby and tired ( which was how I was starting to feel after two nights) The sheets were musty and when I lifted my pillow there were blood stains on the sheets.

The free wifi was frustrating and non existent.

The free coffee and tea was a bonus and the local information available was helpful. The location is good too. The manager Dan went out of his way to be friendly and extremely helpful which we appreciated . However The other stuff that worked there were so rude that we certainly would not come back.

If you are on a tight budget this place might be only viable option in Dili but that's not saying much, the rude staff really put us off.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 56mph
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

The location is good and the layout is in such a way that makes it easy to meet other travelers.
Although quite dirty and old, there is a good ambiance.
Would get 5 stars if it would go under a small makeup, improve showers, and take care of the mosquitos.
There is a tv room with plenty of movies and series.
Free coffee in the kitchen.
Staying at the dorms is very cheap, in Timor Leste terms.
I will go back if I will visit Dili again.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed September 5, 2013

At $12 for a shared room or $20 for a private room, the price was exactly right. You can also store stuff there if you're going off to other parts of TL and pick it up later. Very friendly hostel atmosphere, easy conversation with other travelers and with the staff. Easy walking to a number of sites in Dili, plus taxis going by all the time, plus you can rent bicycles there.

It's as rundown as the other reviews say, but the showers work and the sheets are fresh and clean on the bed, and there's Internet. For me, though, the best thing was the helpfulness of the manager and the staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Two of us stayed there in June 2013 and we payed $12 a night. As a place to throw your bag and have a cold shower it was ok for that rate. ( Dili and Timor have about 4 diferent economies on the go at the moment, courtesy of an ever increasing corrupt Government and useless UN administrators over the last 12 years) The staff were friendly enough but couldn't comprehend a refund for key deposits on checkout. The kitchen consists of a few pots and plans with a gas burner. If you want to heat a tin up it would be ok. We never used it. The common room has a couple of couches in it and a TV locked on whatever the relatives of the managers spread out on the couch want to watch. The dorm room we stayed in had a very loud AC rattling away all night and the beds werent long enough for me at 180cm to fit in. Had to pull the mattress onto the floor to sleep. The showers and toilets are in a disgusting state. Before I'm accused of my expectations being too high for the country I'm in and the price payed, I'll just say that I've been to countries still at war that have at least worked out basic plumbing. The showers here are solar heated apparently but given that I tried having a shower at midday on a nice sunny day and the thing was still cold I'm skeptical. The toilet pans weren't secured to the floor properly and finding one of the two of them blocked was a regular ccurrence. I'll finish on a good point which is the outdoor common area. Great for chatting to other tourists and the Wifi was terrific. Good luck!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Accurateinfo
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is the only hostel in Dili and offers cheap nightly/weekly rates in a clean, safe and hospitable environment. I spent two weeks in the hostel and couldn't of been happier. Rita and Dan were perfect hosts that had a wealth of information on what to do and how to get around Timor-Leste. It's only a small hostel so e-mailing prior is probably a good idea. All-in-all, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo