“Fantastic!”
Review of Beachside Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dili
Beachside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 24 Dili B&B and Inns
Tampere
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

This place is absolutely fantastic! Its clean, cozy and by all means up to western standars. We stayed here in october with 8 ppl, and we had 2 rooms (4/5ppl). Kathy and bruce are the best hosts i have ever had, they are super friendly and very helpful with everything!

Food is good and healthy, nothing deepfried.

If you have the chance i recommend to have a few beers with bruce and kathy and chat, they are great company and very considering towards the guests (the bar nearby had some kind of charitydinner/evening and they told us right away to join them in this event). Nice add in a place you dont have much to do except lay in the beach and enjoy great weather!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I recently returned from East Timor and the Beachside Hotel is a true delight. The location is on the beautiful Areia Branca Beach, a few miles outside of central Dili. This is a plus and a minus. The area is much nicer and cleaner than downtown but you are much farther from the stores, restaurants, and activities in Dili. It is easiest if you have your own transport although there are several good restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel.

Bruce and Kathy, the owners, are exceptional and truly go out of their way to make you feel at home. I felt like a member of the family while I was there. They have done a great job training the staff in the finer points of customer service but, this is still East Timor, after all, and there are still a few challenges. All in all, you will find the service here superior to elsewhere in Dili.

The rooms at the hotel are just wonderful. They are of a good size and you won't feel cramped. There is a refrigerator that is quite good size and you can keep plenty of food and beverages in there. The electricity is very reliable. I was there at the end of the dry season when it was brutally hot. The air con worked faithfully throughout and never went out. The water is also reliable and there was no time when the water went out, either. No amenities are provided in the bathroom so you'll want to be sure to bring your own shampoo, lotion, etc. I also had brought my own soap for which I was grateful. The small soaps provided (they are locally made) are not large enough to wash your big toe so be forewarned. The TVs are new flat screens and there are 60 channels on offer on the cable. And yes, you will spend more time in your room than you think, because the intense heat will get to you and you will be looking for respite. The rooms are kept immaculately clean by the housekeeping staff.

The food at the hotel was nothing short of fantastic. The breakfast that is included with the room rate is wholesome and filling. You can also order a la carte at an extra charge if you want something different for a change. Be forewarned that the restaurant is a favorite with locals and expats and is especially crowded on the weekend. Food service is painfully slow during these times so make sure you aren't on the verge of starvation when you show up for your meal. Getting anything on a "special order" was a particular challenge but I started writing down what I wanted and that seemed to help. I was able to get exactly what I requested.

All in all, with only minor glitches as mentioned above, The Beachside is a great small hotel and a marvelous choice for any traveler heading to Dili.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dili, East Timor
Reviewed December 29, 2013

There may be more than one hotel with a beach less than 30 seconds away, but this is the only one with the best beach. I sat at a table and had eggs benedict + Timor coffee. Lots of people to talk to or just as easily quiet time to read and just look at the scenery or read.

The owners, Kathy and Bruce, are frequently chatting to guests and that is a nice touch, Kathy is really on top of the menus.
A drive of 10-15min from Dili itself, yet close enough to be in touch

No pool, but there is the sea!
No fitness center, but the alternative is an excellent shore walk to the famous Christu Rei and up the steps to the giant statue of Jesus

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Stayed here for a week waiting for my motorcycle to arrive from Darwin, excellent hosts who went out of their way to assist in all matters. Rooms large and very clean, laundry done for you as a bonus! Breakfast on the beach a great way to start your day and the cafe lunches and cakes are the best in Dili. Kathy and Bruce introduced me to their " community of friends" and I had a great time here during my enforced wait for the ship to arrive. Cannot reommend this place more highly. I have stayed in three other places in Dili, this is by far the best.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Margaret River.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I loved this place. Bruce and Kathy were friendly warm and welcoming and made my stay relaxed. I hate the 'theme park' feel of big resorts; this was far enough out of the city to be away from the hustle and bustle but close enough to access anything I wanted. With the beach right outside the front door, my poached eggs for breakfast served with a warm smile and everything feeling helpful but unobtrusive, I can't recommend this highly enough.
If you like a high tempo place...this isn't it! If 'chill' is your thing, you will love Beachside.

Room Tip: All good. All the rooms (there are only a few) seemed equally good. Traffic or other noise is not an...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Ireland
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed one night and found the hotel friendly and clean and pleasantly located just across the quiet road from a lovely stretch of golden-sand beach with lots of shade trees. Unfortunately, the night we stayed there (a Friday night) we were bombarded with loud music from properties either side of the hotel (nothing from the hotel itself). We were assured that it was a once-off and it may well have been, but we decided to move anyway because the office that I had to get to was on the other side of town. However, I can imagine that it could be a lovely place to stay if you have your own transport as it is a little way out of town. While the beach is lovely, it should be mentioned that the sea is shallow for several hundred metres out as far as the reef; great for lounging in the almost-bath-temperature water but not very exciting for swimming - although there is good snorkeling within relatively easy walking distance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We just spent 2 nights at The Beachside Hotel. After a week in the districts, it was an absolute dream! Beautifully appointed rooms (we were very excited to have a shower!) and amazing beachfront location - not to mention the amazing food and service! (My husband raved about the BLT's!) Sundowners on the beach with icy cold beer is an absolute must do! Overall, we were very impressed! Especially considering that, Kathy even dropped us back to the airport!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends