“Could be so much better”
Review of Dili Beach Hotel

Dili Beach Hotel
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Dili
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Firstly, I booked through their website, which included airport pick up, this was also confirmed by email a few days prior - no show at the airport, had to make my own way at my own cost.

When mentioned on arrival, this was meet by a shrug of the shoulders by the surly, quiet rude receptionist - denied all knowledge even after I showed her the email confirming collection from the airport.

I booked a standard room, which on their website looked quiet spacious, but was given a tiny box room, and had to make a lengthy complaint before getting moved to something more representative of what was advertised on their website.

It's a shame, I wanted to like this hotel, the staff in the bar/restaurant above where friendly and helpful.

Lastly check your change carefully in the bar, I was given an old style $5 note, which was unusable anywhere.

• Stayed: January 2014
6  Thank Bobbby83
There are newer reviews for Dili Beach Hotel

Reviewed January 5, 2014

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank Bobbby83
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I love when a hotel is well located, and even more if it is waterfront. Add to this a swimming pool and a sports bar, where lots of foreign get together to watch games and have a beer.
The hotel is simple, but just right if you look for an informal beach atmosphere.
Even though I used to live in Dili, I stayed at the hotel a couple of times when I stayed late at the bar with friends. It just makes your life so easy when you can combine accommodation and fun!

Room Tip: There are different rooms, ranging in prices, but all nice and clean.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

As solo backpacker, I've booked for a bed in backpacker room. Two beds in a backpacker room. According to the staff, hardly anyone stay here. I can conquer the room by myself.

Backpacker Bed rate: USD 20 per night. Comp laundry and simple continental breakfast and airport pickup.value for money that's for sure.

Facilities: tv, living room, kitchen without stove, huge bathroom with good hot or cold water. Functioning toilet.

Dining: one floor up above the hotel lobby. Cafe for hotel guest or walk in. Full beach view with main trunk road. Serving international food. Price consider ok if compared to Singapore. I should not compared though. For Timorese it will cost a big hole in the wallet. Nearby have few beach front cafe. Almost same price. Regular patronise by Australian or New Zealand support army personnel.

Hotel lobby:
Buying exchange book for USD 1. Awesome for book worms like me. There is a travel agent beside the lobby. They only assist with air ticket arrangements. Not Timor tour. A small corner shop selling Timorese Tais product. Some Timor Guide newspaper free distribution.

Staff:
Can speak Tetum, Bahasa Indonesia, Tagalog and English.

Around the hotel:
Small smal stall selling drinking water and soft drink. Some sells packet cookies. Brilliant idea to earn money. Approaching sunset, mobile fish seller walking around.

Courtyard:
Simple and good seating area with some ancient Timorese photo display.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank nigel_choi
Reviewed October 15, 2013

In 2011, my children and I stayed here for 3 nights, as we were new visitors to Timor-Leste, and didn't know our way around. For the Family price that we paid, $109, we received a large room with 2 bedrooms. The accommodation was very run down, and the music above us in the evening 'nightclub' was too loud and ongoing. What the 2 most disappointing experiences we had at the Dili Beach Hotel (which was the deciding point to not stay overnight again), was the cockroach that my 5 year old found in his scrambled egg on one morning at breakfast, and the young girls (waitresses?) constantly hanging around my children asking them all sorts of questions (is that your mum? how old are you?) with long, flirty tones and batting eyelashes. It was just wrong!

Yesterday, we returned to the hotel to have a look a their gift shop. The same woman, 'matriarch', whom made my son's scrambled egg on that morning 2 years ago, was attending the counter and was equally ambivalent. After explaining what we were looking for, she replied in a long, drawn out voice, ' Nawww, we don't haaaaaave thaaaaat!" I thanked her, and as we were leaving, my now 7 year old son called out, " We are staying at a different hotel!"

Room Tip: Ask the staff to be accommodated away from the 'nightclub/ restaurant.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Celeste D
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Hi we just spend 3 nights here we found it well overpriced $90 / room/ night you can get much better accom for less. Breakfast was included which was small juice or coffee with 2 eggs, extra cup of coffee or juice $3 . Meals were 50% over priced compared with other restaurants in the area. Rooms were large enough but bathroom plumbing poor hot water not working in sink, toilet water continually needing to be fixed. We moved out to Rocella Hotel for $45 /night breakfast included with cerals , bread rolls , eggs and as much coffee / tea you wanted a much better hotel. In general accom in Dili is expensive compared with other Asian cities do your homework before you book ?

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank David Y
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Restaurant and bar over priced and just average quality. Rooms OK but need maintenance over-haul to justify the cost per night. Out look from bar area not the best in Dili, traffic noise tolerable but continuous. You can do better in Dili regarding position and costs incurred for accommodation and meals.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo