“6 steps to Perfection...”
Review of Konoba Fiume

Konoba Fiume
Ranked #21 of 165 Restaurants in Rijeka
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Croatian, Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The tavern is located in Rijeka's market and is a good choice for a short break with delicious fish and meat dishes, game specialties and boiled lamb as one of the most sought after dishes.
Reviewed November 11, 2016

Well, most of You already understood this tavern is located right next to the city biggest fish market...so, since I'm blond, I made 'my math'... it takes six steps: from fish market, to the kitchen and then to the table. Can it be more...fresh?
I assure You... not!
So, for the first time, I came here today. It was one of those typical 'tsunami rain pouring day' in City That Flows called Rijeka (River; literally :D). Today really flew and after calling several 'proven' places for 'fish and such' type of food (for foreigners, Croatia is still very Catholic and many ppl (not us) feast on Fridays), thereby we were sure that 'our places' would be pretty stocked. Alas, by 01:00 p.m. most were out of their specialties (weirdos, they could have made a fortune today) and we came here...in good hope.
And Bingo...! Not the food, but first impression... a Real typical Tavern. At same time I was smitten by casual but warm greetings from the owner (Nena, u just can't miss Her, look for one very pretty dark haired Lady that 'flies' around the place) and the rest of the personal, decorum and...and that flawless fragrance, bouquet, scent...of fresh grilled, stewed, marinated whatever u wish for Adriatic sea can offer on your plate and palate.
After a brief consulting, we were offered with... ok, I got lost at about 10th of...everything, in every possible variation! Ok, now I will try to cut it short, I promise!
Since we are on a diet (LOL), I managed to stop one of the funniest (in a good way!) waitress (sorry, I didn't catch Her name :/ ) waitresses I ever met and we ordered grilled devilfish and... damn, now I have a problem... baby shark that is not a baby but it is just a small shark type fish and I assure u they were NOT BABIES, just small, ok? (hope PETA won't sue me) and I tired to find out exact name of it, at no use obviously, but if u speak Croatian, it is called 'pas' ( which is even worse, as literal translation would be, oh dear, 'dog' and Im a dog breeder, go figure) and if u do not speak our outmost complicated language... just ask: 'small shark steaks'.
But then I saw something I haven't seen in ages, I'm not overkilling, shrimps so big I had to google: lobster/shrimp hybrid on my phone just to make sure.... so two were added on top. And two would be two too many if they weren't sooOMG!
That confirmed, we went for 'usual' drinks. That means: 'mead rakija = medica' ( google that first of all before coming to Croatia) and 'their' house red wine. First was excellent but wine...since I'm a huge fan of semi dry red wines... they just 'killed me softly' with some Istrian blend, forgot the name as we begun with half litre and ended at 3. ('nuff said?).
In 15 minutes (trust me, for a really fresh sea food that is more than enough if grilled) everything was served and... naaah, u must try it yourselves. There are no words to describe it neither my photo can illustrate it...!!!
Then, we ordered a 'cod fish stew' ('brudet od bakalara') for take out...that 'diet of ours' couldn't handle more but, damn, even warmed (little) up for a dinner... it was just amazing after such a rainy day but Im sure it would be as amazing even after a 'honeymoon' first night. Yep, that good ;)
It took me "few" more than 6 steps to go out but... hope it describes how wonderful experience this was!
I wish it will take You u even more :D
Only thing u must consider... this place is open only till 6 p.m. (but for larger groups, booked in advance, there is a bigger 'room' and a possibility to have a blast even later).
In any way... do not miss this place! 10/10*

2  Thank NataSharPei

Reviewed November 8, 2016 via mobile

Went to the restaurant once and the decour is nice, most of the time we order lunch to go, and pick it up and eat at home. Like the food, fresh and good

Reviewed October 20, 2016

We ate at Fiume Restaurant in old town Rijeka and were almost everything ok. Tasty food, good domestic wine, nice and friendly stuff. A lot of locals because Rijeka market is nearby.
But warning for tourists: CHECK THE BILL twice!
2 DCL of wine can quickly become on the bill; 2 Liters....
Many better konobas in Rijeka!

Reviewed October 9, 2016 via mobile

This is an awsome restaurant where you can not only delicious food but also best service and big hospitality. Fish meat are very fresh and tasty, homemade paste with shrimp is unforgetable. Prices are good. Best food and best prices. Easy to go to Fuime, just near the fish market. The owner of Fiume Mrs. Nena is a friendly lady. If we has a chance to visit Rijeka again Konoba Fiume is the only place we will go for lunch and dinner even everyday.

Reviewed September 29, 2016

This is a fish restaurant with excellent selection of fresh fish from the Adriatic. Cuttle fish risotto is highly recommended. Obviously, you can't go wrong with fresh scampi caught / fished less than 12 hours before being served. Alas, these are not cheap. Most locals go for calamari - also local and freshly fished.
Table wines are pleasant and cheap.
Salads variety could and should be richer.
Service is cantina style (more like an inn than a restaurant).