“Not first rate at all”
Review of Hotel Milenij

Hotel Milenij
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Opatija
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I hope they read these reviews because they're in a great location and they could be a super resort.

First off, the room key didn't work. Went back down to front desk to ask them to reprogram. Was told in a condescending brusk manor that we needed to put the key in and out quickly. We told him that we did and he made another key for us that worked.

The beds are terrible. Old, squeaky and I don't think they've been replaced in years. The sheets were very soft and nice though not very attractive. Overall room decor, well, my first thought was early communist period.

We booked a double room which has a small bed for two people if you are thinking you're in a five star hotel. Only one large towel in the room. Looking forward to facing the front desk guy again to get a second towel.....

One last small detail-please provide hair conditioner. Your female customers will appreciate it.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hsheffield1
There are newer reviews for Hotel Milenij

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Milenij Hotel Sv. Jakov looks great from outside, our room on 1st floor was with balcony over the kitchen :-( That was awefull.... Breakfast is not for diabetic people, so be carefull if you need diabetic food. You don't have many choices of different kinds of food, if you stay for few days, like we did, for five days, then you are forced to eat almost every morning the same kind of food. Personnel are so serious, you won't hear from them "good morning" so easy. Only one guy, he was chef, was nice. Only restaurant design is great! In caffe restauran Wagner which is located in main Hotel Milenij I have ate cake and I got poisoned by the cake :-( I was so sick for three days and was in emergency room. I won't go back to this hotel any more ever. I don't have much nice to say about this hotel. Hotel Bristol with 4 stars where I was last summer, is so much much better choice.

Room Tip: Specifically tell them you don't want room on side where kitchen is.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ZeljkoVu
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We had a company event there, and it was alright but far not excellent. We had issues like:
- the garage was full therefore they took away the cars and we sometimes had to wait 20-30 minutes to get the car back
- my room (101) was terrible. I had a folding bed which could be closed as a closet... it was not that convenient
- my room was just above the main entrance there it was pretty noisy if I opened the window
- some of my colleagues were not able to set the air conditioning therefore theyx had 27 C in the rooms even overnight
- if you want to go to swim in the see you need to cross first the hotel's restaurant, then the promenade where man people walk up and down, then an another restaurant - and you do this is a swimming suit or bath-robe
- it took 10 minutes to pay at check out
- the food was okay, but nothing special (I expected much more fish)

all in all the place is quite an average one but comparing to the 5* sign it is rather poor.

Room Tip: do not take 101!!! try to grab one with seeview
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank gabor_bona
Reviewed September 5, 2012

this is not about the hotel - it is about its restaurant Argonauti - supposedly it is part of the five star hotel and supposedly it should provide five star service – consequently the food and service there should be of adequate quality - supposedly...
Our waiter had bad attitude from the very beginning - maybe we were interrupting his siesta since we were only guests in his area of the restaurant/terrace – food was disappointing – we had to return oysters because most of them were tasteless (literary washed out) and smelled of chlorine – explanation/excuse was that chef is submerging oysters in tap water to keep them fresh – and the entire Adriatic sea is only the steps away from hotel kitchen – in addition waiter was literary interrogating us how many we have eaten before returning the plate, and how many of those that we swallowed were actually good – obviously in attempt to have us charged for god ones (!!!) – btw. I ate two and only one of those two was good – second one was awful and the other three I tried I had to spit – my friend gave up after the first one… And I thought oysters are foolproof order – now I know that is not true…. Grilled Adriatic scampi were our main course (until our plate arrived we were not sure how much we are getting because one of waiters that were presenting the fish had doubts whether they would have enough scampi to fulfill the order - it is ridiculous order was for only 1kg or slightly more than 2 pounds. Scampi were well prepared – but w did not receive adequate silverware/tools to eat them – five star hotel should know better than to present them with standard fork and fish knife - we had to break shells with our teeth… We were craving for a glass of wine because our waiter totally ignored my remark that we would like to have a glass of white when he got us a main course… Sparkling wine we had as an aperitif was gone and no one followed up either to refill our glasses or to suggest or offer another wine with the main course – after a while we finally spotted a live soul and ask what white wine they have serve per glass – the answer was “I do not know but I will send my colleague” – finally in the middle of the main course we got our wine and some more attitude… after espresso I asked for the check and when I returned signed credit card slip waiter was looking at me and asked if that is all – told him it is – did not want to tell him that tip is not given category, it has to be earned – and considering our tab was topping $100.00, 20% of that would be a nice tip (it is paid in cash and is not taxable) especially on a very slow afternoon – luckily they did not try to charge us for oysters… And when I thought it cannot get worse I went to hotel pastry shop to buy some hand-made chocolates (which were really good) still the packaging (cheap paper box in small plastic grocery bag) was very disappointing for hotel that is adorned with five stars – is a little style too much to expect? – I wanted to purchase a cake and have it on the spot and I have been told that I can get it to go but not on the plate – if I want my cake plated I need to sit and order it from the waiter – at that time I was so not into encountering another waiter…. Seems like a culture of “yes” is entirely displaced with the culture of “no” and that is unacceptable. As the result hotel has lost some revenue, waiter did not get any tip and the worst of all we left the place disappointed and with a bitter taste in our mouths. Maybe is time to reconsider rating of this place or credibility of rating criteria…so disappointing….

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank robert_dc
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in August: broken air conditioning, disappointing room quality, poor facilities and totally indifferent attitude from the staff/management.

Disappointing room arrangement:
Booked sea-view room 8 months in advance, but only got informed the room was not available when we actually checked in. We had no choice but to stay in a non sea view small room. From that moment, the hotel staff's attitude was indifferent and negligent. After first night, we got a chance to move to so called "sea view" room. BUT that just a room over see a huge tree (the sea view was totally blocked by this tree). There was not even a bath in that room!

Broken air-condition during our whole stay:
During 38C degree summer nights, the central air-condition was broken for 4 nights. The indoor room was over 30 C degree. According to our other friends who also stayed in the same hotel, their room was 35 C degree during night! No way we can sleep in this temperature. We had really bad sleep quality during our whole stay. Again, the hotel staff can do nothing but gave us a small fan. NIGHTMARE, totally.

We requested to change a room but the hotel staff told us "hotel fully booked". Ironically, their website still showed plenty of room available to book...

Dirty indoor air:
My friend got bad cough when stay indoor too long. The air-condition will automatically turn off if we open the window. When he came back to London, he went to see the doctor and confirm that the cough was caused by stale/dirty air-condition...

Hotel bill:
What kind of 5 star hotel will have a broken air conditioning in the middle of summer while still charge its guest the full rate?! They refused to gave us any financial discount, not even on mini bar. We have to drink lots of water/juice to cool down in such a hot room in the middle of night. In the end of the day, their only compensation was a free box of chocolates from the hotel shop and free car parking (13 Euro per day)... not much compensation for no sleep and getting a chest infection!

These issues aside, the hotel location is fantastic, the outdoor terrace/cafe is extremely nice and the restaurant is very good quality food. So, good place to visit for food/drinks, but definitely not 5-star as a hotel and certainly not 5-star staff/management - visit, but stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank prawn Y
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Opatija has it all to get this feeling of Imperial Austrian summer residence and with a Croatian small city charm on top of it. Lovely architecture and even the buildings which are not renovated look impressive.
You can read a lot about multiple parks but in reality they are really small. The Angiolina one is the biggest & nicest. The one around the hotel could not be considered the park but just some greenery which is also fine.
Hotel has a best location in Opatija. Has 2 buildings and they are different but both nice. But its not 5 star hotel but solid 4.
Reception: well, you can be lucky with the guys over there or not. Some are very smiley and willing to help & giving you advises on where to eat, where to go, some are not welcoming at all. But you meet it everywhere. You can expect upgrades for a longer stays but not here. And, of course, you can expect more luxurious approach in 5 stars hotel in general.
Cleaning could be better as our room was never vacum cleaned but the bed sheets, towels were changed daily and bathroom was in ideal condition. Nice smelling shampoo, shower gel, balm from English brand Penhaligon. Towels are new and great quality. Some bed sheets were with the holes at the same time - again, not 5 star level.
Beds are very comfortable but not the pillows. You can expect to have a choice of pillows as you have in most of 5 stars hotels nowadays. If you have a se view it is very quiet.
Musical evenings were lovely and although it is not the fault of the hotel but some artists were not singing together before the performance and during it tried to show their level of their own voice without taking into account the partner. If you are sesitive to it you might be not very happy. We enjoyed it anyway.
You do have a lot of happenings in all the hotels around.
Breakfast is the main attraction of the hotel and great start of the day (especially at the gallery): variety, freshness, service, environment - simply fabulous and you are not getting tired of it day by day. 2 kinds of Champagne, fresh juices, fresh fruits. You can come even 10 min before the end of breakfast and you will see tables full of food, anyway - you cannot find it in all the hotels. Female waiters (tall blond lady especially) are extremely nice & polite, very fast & efficient. I would not say it always about male over there.
What is shocking is that you have to pay for the gym, well there is no gym, actually, just few cardio threadmils... It does exist even in 4 stars close by - 4 Opatija flowers.
Be ready to pay extra for the sun beds at the hotel premisses - unexpected I have to say...
The hotel beach does not exist and you have to go to the public one, you can rent the beds over there and some are for free. Public beach is always crowded but the sea is amazingly clean. In general, you have to know that there is not a beach destination as you have few platforms, lots of secluded rocky places, one small sand beach opposite to Tantra bar in Angiolina park.
Did not try SPA - so can't say anything.
On Opatija in general: I was really impressed by the bus station: met lots of the employees over there and all of them were extremely helpful and doing the job of a travel agency, actually, giving lots of tips where & when to go, local events, etc. Really pleasant surprise.
Lungomare promenade just in fron of the hotel could be used instead of gym - 12 km long - I would recommend the direction towards Icici but it is a must to visit Volosko opposite direction. Cute small place with great restaurants. We loved Can go to Kastav as well up at the mountains. Rieka is great for all type of shopping & handy 30 min bus drive. Buses are very reliable and schedule is perfect.
Eating out: the hotel has great restaurant, cafe.
If you would like to experience different ones outside there is max 5-10 min walking distance. Istarka, Roco & Ruzmarin are the right addresses to enjoy food & atmosphere.
Although in tiny Roco you have to hurry up to eat as there are always waiting lists but the service and food is really impecable. They still are able to keep romantic atmosphere in such a rush! Istarka is pure local one. It is not that crowded as it is a bit off main road but the portions, service is just great! Ruzmarin is also good but at the 3d place for me: both - service & food wise.
I would recommend to stay in Milenij hotel for couples & solo travellers.
I would recommend to visit gorgeous Opatija

Room Tip: Sea view only & the high floor 4-6, even though on 4th you have more of trees view but without t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 23explorer10
Reviewed August 12, 2012

A lovely hotel situated by the sea, our stays vas very nice. Personalized wanted, but a little confused somethimes.
Excellent breakfast, superb food, homemade cakes. All credit to our lovely waitress Petra.
Access to the sea from the terrace by the restaurant is maybe not the best solution ...
I recommend it highly