“A total and utter dissapointment”

Grand Hotel 4 Opatijska Cvijeta
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Opatija
Reviewed May 16, 2013

First of all, we stayed at the Wisteria, and the room we stayed in could hardly pass in a 3* hotel, definitely not a 4*. It was really basic, small and with a window size of a porthole in a cabin below deck..:I It was dark all day through.

When we checked in, the recepcionist generously gave us the ticket for the hotel garage and said we could use it during our stay, told us to throw away our parking ticket and obviously forgot to mention that the price for the garage is 90 kn per day, what we discovered when he presented us with the bill. They also tried to charge us for the telephone call from the room to their spa center, 2 stories below??? C'mon...

And last, but not the least, I left somethig in the room, knew exactly where I left it and called them the next morning. The cleaning lady, much to my surprise, found nothing!!! I hope the dress fits her...

Never again.

Room Tip: Not a third floor in wisteria. Porthole windows.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ivce

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have spent 2 days in this hotel and was very satisfied. As its name suggests, the hotel is located in four buildings,named after 4 most beautiful flowers of Opatija. We were accomodated in the main building (Camelia) and I guess it is the most convenient indeed, as the main restaurant and wellness are located in that building.
The room was of a decent size, with all neccessary things and furniture included, the bed perfectly comfy (the pillows were a little bit too soft and thin, tough). We took a sea view against a surcharge of 10 € per day. I think it was well worth it.
The wellness area is divided at two floors - swimming pool on the first one (take your towels at a wellnes reception before entering, bathrobes are provided in the room, no slippers tough). The swimming-pool is large, the larger part is indoors, going outdoors with a smaller part. Although, I believe they can make it be outdoors full size in summer time. There are plenty of decks at the pool and you can order drinks and food there. The "real" wellness area is located below the swimming-pool and may be entered with bracelets only which you get at the wellness reception together with 2 towels. Wellnes is actually charged also for hotel guests, but at a privileged price. No kids under 18 are allowed, so there is a perfect peace reigning down there, no splashing and jumping as at the swimming-pool. You can help yourself with fruit, fresh water and tea.There are two jaccuzi pools, small swimming-pool, saunas, Turkish bath and you may book any cosmetic treatment you might wish.
We paid for the half-board and the food was nothing but excellent, just perfect!!! Choice was enormous both for breakfast and dinner, everything was perfectly tasty so I really do not get how anyone could complain about the food in this hotel. Excellent offer of seafood, fish, Istrian specalties etc.
The location of the hotel is also very good - the long promenade is just below the hotel, there are shops and cafes nearby if you need something.
I warmly recommend this hotel and would go there again myself.
Special compliments to the staff!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ana29
Reviewed May 6, 2013

What a well run hotel! Front desk staff (especially Ana) couldn't have been more efficient or kinder. Restaurant staff, also, was superb.

I stayed here as part of a tour group for 4 nights in spring '13. The hotel is perfectly located, right on the water and adjoining a wonderful walkway via which you can stroll for miles along the coast.

My room was quite nice ... I was in #613, which has a wraparound balcony from which you could see both the town and the water. I had a little nook-like sitting area, too, and two sets of sliding doors leading onto the very large balcony. Bed was comfortable, linens were good, and room was quiet.

The spa area of the hotel is magnificent. There are actually two pools ... one which is indoor-outdoor (and it's gorgeous), and another that's solely for 'wellness' and is restricted to adult usage.

Breakfasts at the Grand are magnificent. The variety of food is staggering, and so is the quality. You can even get made-to-order chocolate pancakes. Coffee was delicious.

Opatija is paradise. What a beautiful town. I hope I can visit again, and if I do, I'll certainly stay at the Grand.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CountessCeprano
Reviewed April 26, 2013

What this hotel lacks to get an excellent rating are two things: a much better mattress deserving such grade and small refurbishing of bathrooms. Otherwise everything deserves an excellent grade, above all personell - very professional, from their apparel to their highly professional conduct and service.
The hotel is located supremely: it is right on the sea (beach), overlooking a small and picturesque port, some 150 yards from the main Opatija beach, the Slatina, below Opatija's main (shopping) street, it is easy to reach by car, with own garage (otherwise an amenity in the town).
We stayed in the main building, with a sea view, and what to say - excellent. I didn't have a feeling I was in a hotel. Rooms are rather spacious, particularly with an 'extension' when the balcony doors are open and there is the beautiful Kvarner bay stretching with Krk island to the East, then Cres island, followed by the Istrian peninsula to the West.
Since we were there on a business trip, had no time to check the spa, but the conference facility is excellent - a small, but fully equipped conference building in the hotel complex (literally 10 yards from the reception). Besides the spa, it was much better to walk by the sea.
Breakfast has it all, but since I've become attached to grilled vegetables, there the very good grade. Hotels such as this usually have a better selection of bread, and I found only white bread. However, omelettes are freshly made in an open cuisine (no smell! well ventilated!), as are pancakes. There is a selection of stuffings for omelette (ham, cheese, bacon,...), and a great selection of pancake stuffings. Really neat. Breakfast restaurant overlooks the sea, and there is a terrace along the sea front to sip coffee and just enjoy the view.
Below the hotel, there is a promenade stretching far away along the beach, and a stroll by the sea is strongly recommended - particularly towards the East, where you can reach after some 15 minutes the place of Volosko, once a fishing village, with its cozy protected port (or 'mandrač'), and with three of the top-15 Croatia's restaurants, all superb (Mandrač, Plavi podrum and Tramerka).
Rooms are spacious, perfectly clean, good new tv sets, but as pointed above, the mattress needs to be upgraded, and what is sincerely lacking is a shelf around bathroom sink, to have place for all of your bathroom belongings. Otherwise, absolutely no objections.
A very highly recommended hotel!

Room Tip: In a hotel on the sea - the best rooms are with a sea view and the higher - the better.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank happybypleasure
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Well, I don't know how to start this review.....there are no enough words to describe how we spent a perfect weekend in this amazing place. The staff is their best investment and they deserve the best grade in this review.

We were in Camelia hotel which is overlooking at the sea. The best thing is after a delicious breakfast (I can't remember what they didn't offer to the guests...from the hot pancakes to the dryed fruits and a lot...but I mean a lot of prosciutto!) you can have a quiet coffee on a terrace and enjoy the sea and the sun.

The jewel of the hotel is their spa and wellness. You just must spend part of the day there; sauna, jacuzzi, the pool. I would recommend one of the massage packages.
After that, relax in the evening in the hotel bar with a bottle of Malvazija wine, it is just perfect end of the day.

One tip: go for the lunch to the Roko restaurant which is a 10 minutes walk from the hotel. This is one of the best italian cuisine specialities that I have ever had!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ninita_bl
Reviewed April 5, 2013

four separate buildings on property off main street close to all restaurants and shops. waterfront location. Lovely buffet in dining room with live music. Don't miss their Viennese-style coffee shop, Kavana, with street entrance. Amazing cakes, gelato and coffee.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Paulette Y
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel deserves a good review in the first place because of its excellent employees who offer a guest excellent service and warm and welcome feeling.

Our 2 nights stay started at the crowded reception because of a huge bus-group that arrived right before us, but the reception gave us a room key without demanding any administrative formalities (which we sorted out 15 min later) so we could move to our room with our baby. As we were there with a little baby, we got a free upgrade to a suite which was a pleasant surprise, as it consist of two separate rooms and is very comfortable.I believe that during our stay the hotel was fully booked.

As for the rooms: Clean, with standard 4* hotel amenities and features (including bathrobes and slippers). Negative is that if you look closer you see that the rooms are not so got maintained (i.e. holes in plaster, broken fan in bathroom, standing light in the corner unplugged as there is no socket around). For my personally, the mattresses are way to soft (don't know if they are worn out or just soft).
Food: We had half-board. The dining room is big and loud, but that did not bother us too much as were there with baby. Breakfast was buffet style - rich, from live cooking delicious pancakes and omelets, cereals, hams, cheeses, etc. Dinner was also buffet style and with good selection. There were fresh fishes, prepared by the chef in front of guests, and some local and international food. Food was good, considering the buffet style dinning in a big hotel (it is of course not comparable to a la cart restaurants around Opatija).
Service: Was excellent. Staff made a very good impression. Hotel looks well managed (except maintenance, that should improve if they wish to stay at this level). Every evening there was some entertainment (first night local musicians in dinning room, and second night a duo at the bar where guest where dancing and relaxing with a glass of wine,..). In the basement there is also a kids-club which did not operate during our stay (off-season). I have to mention reception manager Mr. D.Šavron (or something like that, sorry!), who made a very strong impression with his professionalism and competence and who could in my opinion easily work in any top-brand hotel.
SPA: The hotel has a swimming pool and sauna(spa) center, which includes another quieter swimming pool to which small children are not allowed. There is a finish sauna and a turkish sauna, however they are not so big. We also had a massage which was very pleasant due to discrete and relaxed setting.
Location: is great, center of Opatija, with nice view on a small port and couple of bars. As for Opatija, you should note that there is no beach, except the city beach "Slatina" (not very nice). Therefore, guest should consider taking a bus or car to "Mevdeja" or any other beach around Opatija.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family