“Great hotel”

Remisens Premium Hotel Ambasador
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Opatija
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Overall I have to say this was a great stay. we stayed for 2 nights. The rooms were quite nice and had most outstanding view (seaside rooms are a must). Also the food was excellent, we had half board and this is quite enough since breakfast and dinner is so plentiful and delicious. The pool is 31C saltwater and not huge but big enough, especially since wife an I were at one time alone in spa facility. Opatija is very nice this time of year for long strolls and I can recommend walking by the sea in direction of Volosko and sipping coffee by the fishing nets in Volosko.
Minuses are tjhat you have to pay for parking and no drinks at all included for supper (1dl would be enough to make me happy) but since I got awesome price and the food was great I decided to give it 5.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must, if you have little more to spend choose corner suites.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ivan M

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Yesterday we returned from a long weekend in beautiful Opatija and from the Ambassador Hotel , where we were the third time. The staff is always very friendly and helpful , food excellent, fresh , lots of vegetables and fruit ... This time we stayed in a family room 614 - beautiful , spacious room with double bed, flat screen TV , large bathroom with two sinks , along with even with doors separate children's room with a bed , TV and a private bathroom . Since the room corner , we had a huge terrace associated with table and chairs and a view of the sea on two sides ; does not direct . Our stay was disturbed only because the guests above us in the toilet throwing things they should not and that is the small bathroom was a blockage . However , the hotel take care of everything , in the end we were due to this inconvenience give a 10% discount . Warning! During this period - from January to March DO NOT!!!! leave any thing on the balcony when you're not in the room . Gulls are hungry , and also from the balconies collected everything they find : lower neighbors from Italy wristwatch , my husband lighter - and that zippo and a pack of Malboro ! :) ) ) ) , my little son half donut while he went into the room , upper neighbor peanuts in the bag .... :) ) ) The pool was well heated, also a Jacuzzi, sauna decorated , clean , with plenty of fruit , water and tea ... Events in Opatija was the carnival theme, also in the hotel every night something happened ... I should also mention that every month they offering of certain massages and treatments at lower cost, while the entrance to the swimming pool and sauna is for free.. To the Ambassador will continue to go!

Room Tip: Corner suits and rooms with sea wiev
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BarbiBer
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

For relax weekend we choose this hotel choosing sea side room. View from room was spectaculous-sea wherever you look ;) Staff on front door and reception were very polite and complaisant. Breakfast was just great-you have a great choice of food. Pools have heated sea water.Negative side of this hotel is paying for parking, but this is practice also in big European cities like Berlin (4 star hotel), Venice (generally with their parking),Budapest (4 star hotel)...so we could get over it. However we couldn't get over too high prices e.g. massage prices or drink in lobby bar. Also problem with wellness is when there are more than 10-15 people it is overcrowded-you don't have space to leave your bathrobe neither to seat normal in sauna or on chairs. Also on massage I have emphasized few times to lady to intensify pressure, but all she has done was cuddling me 45 minutes-what a waste of money :(

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KMestrov
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel once again and was pleasantly surprised. The management is working hard to make constant improvements and each segment is visible. Tumbs up!
All compliments go for the organisation of mini club, although not many children are guests of the hotel. Therefore, the mini club is more on the individual basis, but with nice workshops (origami, painting on silk...). At the moment this is my favourite hotel in Opatija for short breaks in low season and looking forward to go back. the only negative thing (if this may be considered as negative) is the profile of the guests in which my family does not fit - 90% of guests are German speaking guests over 65 years old.

Room Tip: suites are great
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Issa1
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We had spent the weekend at hotel Ambasador. The hotel staff was very kind and helpful. Room we had was very comfortable, spacious and clean. We had half board. Breakfasts and dinners were perfect. They served wide variety of different food / it was very nice served and very tasty.
Hotel swimming pool should be open earlier at least at 7:30 AM; at 7:00 AM would be perfect.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zvar A
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Our three night stay was extremely enjoyable. We were given a corner room and the view was breathtaking overlooking the sea on one side and the beautiful scenery of the town of Opatija on the other. The room itself was fantastic: large, clean, with a separate sleeping area positioned around the corner from the desk and sofas. I especially appreciated the fact that the room had two TVs, meaning that my son and I didn't have to fight over which channel to watch. The staff at the hotel were great from start to finish - kind, polite and helpful.

If you are visiting the hotel with kids, make sure you enquire about the 'Mini Club' located on level -1. It was not advertised anywhere but turned out to be available for much of the day and my six year old son loved hanging out there while I went for massages and to the spa (not accessible to under 16s).

We did have some issues though. Our room was a little bit cold and the air conditioning did not work properly so we could not adjust the temperature. I complained at reception two days in a row and they repeatedly tried to convince me that the temperature in our room was 25 degrees C (according to the information on the computer) which clearly wasn't the case as we had to wear jumpers and in the room. Eventually, after the fourth complaint, they sent someone to look at it and indeed the system had to be reset as it hadn't been working properly. After this it worked perfectly well but it's a shame it had to take 4 phonecalls for it to be addressed.

The coffee machine in the room also didn't work but the kind cleaning staff promptly replaced it with another one and double-checked that it worked properly.

The pool and jaccuzi area is pleasant. The pool is filled with sea water which is quite warm (31•C) and is a bit small for such a large hotel. When we visited (January, so during school holidays), the pool was filled with families with small children. It is not suitable for fitness because of this at all, but it was perfect for my six year old to practice his swimming while I tried to do a few lengths. I read on the website that there's meant to be a children's pool but I was told at the entrance that it had stopped working long ago.

The spa area, next door to the pool, is good and very relaxing and well-designed, with two types of saunas, a jaccuzi, and a steam room (although the steam room wasn't working the first time I visited the spa), as well as a number of private rooms that can be booked by small groups. I had a full body massage which was good and relaxing but not amazing.

As for the food, breakfast is good and varied. My only criticism is that you have to queue up for freshly squeezed orange juice at peak times up to 10 minutes, as someone makes it to order (you can choose which citrus fruit combination you want). Dinner is also good and varied but understandably given the large quantities that need to be made, it is generic and not particularly high quality. There was a good selection of different dishes which is great, so there definitely is something for everyone. The squid ink bread they made one evening was just unforgettable!

In short - I loved his hotel and despite a few glitches outlined above, I would absolutely choose to go back. The kindness of the staff combined with having all the facilities you need and a great room mean that the glitches quickly fade into the background and are not such a huge issue.

Strongly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, they are large and have fantastic views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank travels_with_baby_09
Reviewed November 28, 2013

LOCATION: The town of Opatija is a well-known vacation destination on Croatian coast-line, a bit on the expensive side, and nice to visit all during the year, not only in summer. The town itself is a bit confusing if you are there for the first time, with narrow and twisting streets, crowded parking-lots – a sort of a labyrinth. But the hotel is disproportionally big (and a bit ugly), so it stands out and is relatively easy to spot. It is just above the sea and should be easy to find. Do use the help from your sat-nav, it is much better than asking for directions. WARNING: the hotel parking has to be paid, which I find to be a very bad thing, because the hotel charges its guests quite a lot of money, and I expected the parking to be included in the price. The alternative is to pay the communal parking, which is even worse.
ARCHITECTURE: This is 1970-1980's architecture, a pretty big building, and it stands out like a sore thumb among the other, more classical and mostly smaller buildings in Opatija. The building is ugly in comparison to other near-by structures, but it is functional never the less. In a more modern surroundings, in a different sort of town it would probably look OK, but here its aesthetics can't be complimented.
CHECK-IN and STAFF: we had the reservation, so the check-in process was pretty quick. The staff is very polite and helpful, with nice manners, and pleasant in communication. The reception and the lobby are big and spacious, bright and with a great view to the sea, enjoyable even during bad weather.
ROOMS: we had a suite with a big main room and much smaller secondary room, but definitely not worth five stars. There were 5 of us (3 children, one of whom was an 8-month old baby), and we had to improvise a bed in the big room (the smaller bed in the smaller room could not fit two children), and had to get a baby-bed for the baby. The smaller room is really quite small, and has one couch which folds down into a «bed». Actually, I wouldn't even call it a bed: it is very uncomfortable, not long enough for a grown-up or a tall child to sleep in, the mattress is uncomfortable, almost non-existing, and the wires protrude all over the place. I was worried that my child would be hurt by all that wiring. Definitely not a five-star standard, not even good enough for four stars. The maid was nice and helpful, though. The heating was very moderate (we stayed at the end of November), and was even turned off every night at 22:00h, which I disliked, because we had a small baby with us. Although I complained several times, the central air-conditioning system was automatically shut down every night at 22:00h. The hall just outside the room was much warmer than the room itself! Luckily, I had a small fan-heater in my car, so I could keep the temperature at least at semi-uncomfortable levels. I was appalled by this, they say it's a five star hotel, and charge you accordingly, but this was outrageous for me! Bathrooms (two in our suite) were OK and clean.
RESTAURANT: large and spacious, nice view to the sea. Breakfast was with pretty moderate choice of food considering this is a 5* hotel, and considering the price of stay. Dinner could be described in this way also. The food is greasy, semi-tasteful and salty. WARNING: everything you drink at dinner (including water) will be charged, and with ridiculously high prices. I expected at least water to be included in the price, moreover even one soft drink per person would have been OK, but they charge EVERYTHING you drink at dinner. I was very disappointed by this. Also, when I asked for a child-seat so that our baby can sit and eat, they could barely find one, and even on that one the belts were ripped and the child could not be adequately secured. It looked as it was found somewhere in the street, unattended and unwanted. Five stars? I don't think so!
OTHER FACILITIES: the hotel has a spa and a beauty center (which I didn't try). It also has a small indoor swimming-pool with heated sea water, which is a good thing, but the pool might have been bigger, considering the size and capacity of the hotel. When there are more than 6-7 people in the pool, it already feels crowded. There is also an outside pool at the terrace, but we didn't use it because it was out of season. Every night there was live music at the lobby, it was very tasteful, and it certainly was one of the hotel highlights.
CONCLUSION: Croatians have much to learn (from Turks, for example) about the concept of the upper class seaside hotel tourism. Although this hotel is marked as a five-star type, it clearly doesn't deserve all those stars because it delivers in the term of maximum three stars: the food is greasy and salty, not as tasty as we expected, there was no heating in rooms after 22:00h at the very end of November (when with a baby in the room, this is a pain in the neck), the bed in the smaller room in the suite could not even be called a bed, it was uncomfortable, bordering on dangerous and couldn't be slept in, the hotel charges its guests everything they drink at dinner (including water), there was only one (and this one was dysfunctional) baby chair at the restaurant, they charge for vehicle parking, the swimming pool is much to small etc, etc. I would not recommend you to stay at this hotel, especially for the price they charge. There are probably many hotels in Opatija which are better than this one, and this one definitely doesn't deserve five stars. Additionally, knowing the Croatian standards in terms of service and price, I would recommend everyone to avoid Croatia in general and just go to Turkey or Greece and enjoy their holiday.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel all together! If you really want to go there, then ask for a warm room with a sea vi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family