“Great food, service could be better”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Mandrac - CLOSED

Le Mandrac
Cuisines: Seafood, Mediterranean, European, Croatian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Rijeka, Croatia
“Great food, service could be better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

According to the reviews, Le Mandrac seems to be one of those places you either love or hate. I recently dined there for the first time and my expectations were very high, since the restaurant is constantly mentioned among the top Croatian restaurants. And I must say that I was almost completely happy with everything.
The food was wonderful. My husband and I had the degustation (tasting) menu, and some of the creations there - especially the raw seafood dishes - were truly amazing. Some were a little less to my taste - in the fish soup, the taste of fish was overpowered by tomato, and the steak tagliata at the end was an unnecessary addition to the sequence of fish dishes. The dessert was nice, chocolate cake was a true explosion of taste in my mouth, but it's a shame they used whipped cream from a can instead of the real thing - unworthy of such a dessert.
However, they seem to have a problem with the service. When we arrived, the terrace was full and there was only one waiter who seemed nervous, overworked and surly. We waited too long between the dishes and had to ask the chef to speed up. In the end it took us over 3h to finish the meal, which was a bit too long, even for a romantic dinner.
The restaurant itself is very nice, and the little port (or mandrac, as it is called by the locals) of Volosko in which it is situated, looks magical in the evening.
The prices are high, but we expected that. The only thing that is ridiculously overpriced is the water - 3,3 € for 0,75 l bottle.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank hrcaksmrcak

• Polish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Probably the best haute cuisine in the country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I had the degustation menu (tasting menu) when I visited here last year and was not disappointed. The kitchen takes you on a tour of the best that they have to offer. From single shrimps cooked perfectly, to succulent scallops, you taste a wealth of food knowledge from the region in amazing surroundings and with truly great wine pairings.

This restaurant isn't cheap, but if you feel like splurging it offers incredible haute cuisine.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank PtownNick
“Expensive and terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just wanted to run away. Went for a dinner and got a terrible, totally unprofessional waiter. Darker skin tone, dark hair, really conceited and every minute giving us unnecessary comments which made us unable to enjoy the food, which was nicely prepaired, but not worth the money we paid. He was constantly interupting us in our conversation, making really rude comments about us and giving names and insulting other guests.The restoraunt is beautiful, but not worth comming back. At least not in this waiters shift.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Crogirl7
london
“nice view, shame about everything else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

wish i'd read some more of the reviews of this place before deciding to treat ourselves to what I thought would be a good experience. the look on the waiters face when we ordered soft drinks should have been enough to make me get up and leave. or the look on his face when I had the audacity and obvious crassness to ask if the sea bass was served with any sauce. He brought black bread which looked interesting, so I asked what it was. I was told it was bread. to start I had anchovies which whilst beautifully presented were way too vinegary and I love vinegar. We both decided to have the sea bass, it was chalked up outside as a special. We ordered one potato and one vegetable side dish. We were served two potato dishes but after waiting for so long I really didn't have the inclination to complain. Overwhelmingly average. Out of the three tables he was serving ours was the only one he didn't come and ask if everything was ok, we just weren't the right sort of clientele. Desserts looked tempting but I didn't want to give this place another penny so we quickly ordered the bill which when it arrived was extortionate. the sea bass was charged at 90 kuna each rather than the advertised 70 kuna. we had two juices, a large mineral water (heaven forebid if you asked for tap water in this place!), one starter, two mains with side dishes and it came to double what we'd paid in other places for twice the amount of food. By far the most expensive and by far the biggest disappointment,

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank CandySaysLondon
Split, Croatia
“terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Very poor service. Poor choice jela.Poor selection of drinks. There was no mineral water (Thursday night, the preseason?) The waiter did not want to clean up fried fish, we ordered and we had to do it yourself. Sad atmosphere in the restaurant because it was empty. All in all: we do not recommend it in any case.

• Visited May 2013