“terrible”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Very poor service. Poor choice jela.Poor selection of drinks. There was no mineral water (Thursday night, the preseason?) The waiter did not want to clean up fried fish, we ordered and we had to do it yourself. Sad atmosphere in the restaurant because it was empty. All in all: we do not recommend it in any case.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Unfortunately,our experience is totally different as some of those written here....i wish for those.A few days ago we were there trying to celebrate husband 50th birthday. As have already try some of really good Restaurants in Opatija we deceided, after reading most of the good reviews, to try Le Mandrac.After two days telephoning without any answer, finally someone pick up the phone and took my reservation for a nice table in the Restaurant as we are celebrating...Must say, not really polite way of taking the reservation, but anyway...i said to myself...maybe is just me...When we arrive there, the Restaurant was empty...No guests, no staff.On the entrance we were waiting for someone to come...after a few minutes the bartender came and he took us to the table...we ask if is possbile to seat somewhere where is warm, because belive me, the conservatory was really cold!he has turned on the heating and the warm air was coming out:)when he came with the menus he has explaned to usvthat a lot of things - dishes from the menu is missing...i do understand that the main season is far away but...please...there were 3 of 7 dishes missing from the tasting menu, there were no scampi, no octopus, no fresh fish...when the waiter took the order for the drinks, we were disapointed again....no Gin, no tonic, no peach juice...it was alredy complitly clear that we will left the place. when the waiter came with the drinks, coca cola,juice and still water,we said to him that we are disaponted and will have dinner somewere else..must say, he was very polite, afterwards its not his fault.when we ask for the bill, he came and said that the drinks are on the house. iam very disapointed having such a first impression and experience but must say...although nice way of them for the drinks.

2  Thank JASSYKA
Reviewed November 20, 2012

When I go back to Croatia to visit my family, I tend to stay fairly close to our home near Rovinj when eating out. This is because there are many good restaurants nearby and nobody wants to drive. (we all like a glass or three of wine) For special occasions though, we will travel further.
I have been to Le Mandrac a few times and returning there always excites me. There was three menus, Mini Degustation, Exploring and A La Carte, with vegetarian choice as well. To give a few examples, we had scampi sashimi with olive oil and lemon emulsion, oyster tempura with bloody mary sauce, scallops smoked at our table, fillet of wild fish cooked sous vide, fritaja with poached egg and truffle foam, seafood platter, black polenta with cuttlefish. We did not eat meat on this occasion. You can choose your own wine, but they will choose glasses of wine to go with each course if required.
The first time I ate there, it became my favorite Croatian restaurant, it still is. The food this time was less experimental but still interesting and full of flavour.

1  Thank TowerofFlour
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The chef at Le Mandrac certainly lives up to his reputation for cooking Croatian classics in a modern style, and the food is all the better for it based on our experience. We thoroughly enjoyed eating there two yaers ago and returned to find that their high standards have been mantained.
The fish is so fresh, and given that the boats land their catch in the harbour nearby, it should be. We ate Orado fish, Bass, Kvarner Bay scampi, Shrimp pasta and Risotto, all sublime.
The setting by the water is lovely and the walk along the Lungomare is worth it alone.

2  Thank Lilypond_10
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Seafood with a touch of class and elegance, and flavours to match. In my opinion this is one of the best seafood restaurants this side of the med. The view is on the harbour, the service is good and the ambiance good but not exceptional. Le Mandrac (pronounced Mandrash) was awarded two toques (chef's hat), out of a maximum four, by the influential Gault Millau restaurant guide. I can't recommend it highly enough.

2  Thank al29252