“Probably the best hotel in Croatia”

Wellness Hotel Aurora
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mali Losinj
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stay in this hotel this summer and all I can say this hotel is a perfect for people who want everything on top level . They have spa zone on the -2 floor and it is included in stay, the food is just perfect. When we stayed the AirCond drop death and the mechanic is not in the building when that happen. We ask for the new room and we get it without problems.

The beach near the hotel is like a postcard, I recommend a spa zone and a pool outside with sea water . Sauna and big whirpool .
I'm going back to this hotel as soon I can ...

Room Tip: Take the park side rooms because the see view is only at the top floor of the hotel. And the noise i...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank manrobe
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Wellness Hotel Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Dear manrobe,

Thank you for being our dear guest, for your fabulous words and for choosing our hotel Aurora for your vacation.

We are pleased that you enjoy. It is nice to see such a kind words for our departments, which is very motivating for us, made us happy and proud to hear that we’ve met your expectations.

With the hope to see you soon, kind regards.

General Manager, hotel Aurora

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Went there for two nights for our wedding anniversary and we were delighted. The rooms are clean and the breakfast is perfect ! We also used indoor and outdoor swimming pools which were very tidy. The surrounding area is just magnificent ! The beach has a blue flag, so it tells a lot. All in all, liked it very much. PS. Only remark I have is WiFi, which I didn't have in my room, only in the loby. Guys, sort it out...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Globos
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Wellness Hotel Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thank you very much for the positive comments. We work hard to offer good food and friendly, efficient service, and I’m so glad your visit was enjoyable. I will pass your feedback on to the team, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is quite large and situated next to another large hotel. Small beach nearby very crowded and impossible lo get a sunned. 100+ steps down to beach so need to be fairly fit. Flat rocks below hotel good for swimming off. Very small outdoor pool and large indoor pool (seawater). Lovely walking along coastal promenades. 20 minute + walk into the town.
Food good but dining room very busy and often a bit of a scrum. Not enough coffee stations in dining room at breakfast time.
Cleanliness was very good. Free Internet but rather slow. Beach towels provided.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank pegidaw
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. This hotel is good price quality, but could be better!
The hotel complex is very nice, well maintained, the location is great and the hotel itself is clean. The food is very good, above average, nothing to complain about. Rooms are nice too.
I have some remarks though: First of all, it is really annoying when the hotel staff suggests that everyone speaks German...You guys work in tourism, first language is English if you don't know what language the guest speaks! (I work in tourism too) Another problem was the internet, there was wifi in each room, but not in mine. Luckily there were 2 computers in the lobby with internet connection, for free. There was a bad smell too in the room each time we entered. After a few minutes we were getting used to it..Some of the staff could be more friendly too. Half of the staff doesn't like their job for shure if u see their faces :) They have a good variety of coctails, but when we asked one before dinner, the answer of the barman (don't know his name) was: first eat, then coctail?! And a last little thing: do provide more coffee machines. Getting in line every time in the morning to get a cup of coffee is not pleasant.
They have a beautiful terrace at the bar & there is a small shop in the hotel itself. The restaurant is nice and like I said before, the food quality is outstanding. But there was some sort of all-in people mentality. People would run over you to get their food, afraid they wouldn't have enough.
The natural environment of the Islands Mali Losinj & Krk are just beautiful. It is lovely to drive around a bit with the car. Do mind which roads u take as they can be very small & dangerous (If u follow your GPS). Nice villages to visit are Veli Losinj, Osor and Lubenice! From the hotel you can take the stairs to the beach and from there you can walk in both directions along the sea for several hours if u want.

Normally I would give this hotel 3 stars, but due to the food they get a 4th one :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank DennisV
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Wellness Hotel Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thanks for alerting us to this. We work hard to offer good food and friendly service, and I’m sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. I hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We didn't expect much from this hotel, but we were pleasantly surprised. Having had all kinds of experiences with Croatia's four star hotels, we expected a bleak hotel in the middle of nowhere. We got a nice room overlooking the sea. The hotel was quiet and is set in a wonderful pine forest, which was a great plus. It was September, so the hotel was full of elderly guests and we didn't mind at all, since there was no shouting and screaming of children. A naturist beach is 200 m away, which was a plus for us. Breakfast was perhaps the biggest surprise, since there was everything you could think of. We will be back for sure, since this hotel is just 4 hours away from where we live. This is a nice place if you are planning a relaxing break by the sea, if you wish to enjoy wild parties, I recommend a different place.
Mali Losinj itself is a quiet town, just a 15-minute walk away. We went to have dinner in town and it was nice, but a bit overpriced. We will therefore most definitely have dinner in the hotel. The hotel offers nice walks around it, which you can use for jogging too.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kreni

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We just stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for my boyfriends birthday. It is really a very nice, big and clean hotel. The rooms are very nice. They have a great air conditioner, a small refrigerator and a big sized bathroom. We got there a bit early and they offered to store our luggage for us while the room was getting cleaned. During the day, everyone goes out front of the hotel and finds their place on the rocks somewhere. The hotel provides lounge chairs and umbrellas along with towels. There are several activities you can pay a fee to do in front of the hotel, things like getting pulled by a boat in these tubes, paragliding, paddle boats etc... We booked through an agency ahead of time and i wanted to make sure we had an ocean view because it was my birthday present for my boyfriend. When we went to the front desk when we arrived i again asked to make sure we had an ocean view and they said yes we did. When we got to the room it was on the first floor and from our balcony you could barely see the ocean through the trees. But somehow they consider that an ocean view. So if you really want an ocean view you must book a “Premiere room” which is on the 4th floor at the very top! Our other favorite thing was the food they provided was absolutely fabulous. They do a HUGE buffet style for breakfast and dinner. This was considered half board when we booked the room. We are both vegetarians and were concerned there would not be much selection but there was plenty for us and more. We saved a lot of money not going out to eat 2-3 times a day. We had met a man who has been coming to The Aurora Hotel for 10 years and at first when he said this i thought why and by the end of our stay, i could easily see why he does.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view, book a Premiere room on the 4th floor!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie C
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Wellness Hotel Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give usyour feedback. We are pleased that you chose to celebrate souch a special occasion with us. Happy birthday once again!
Snježana Baljak & Aurora team

Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is a well-managed quality hotel, set in an aromatic pine forest tumbling into the sea. After our cruise ended in Venice, I came here (via Pula) for an extra week of downtime at a quiet resort where I could relax and work out. It turned out that I liked this hotel so much I extended my stay for a second week.

As usual, I found out about it on Booking.com. It surprised me how relatively affordable it was, given the high TA score. Intriguing. I was able to bring the cost down even a little more by booking it directly on the Jadranka website. It was a bit of a gamble to book at the last minute in high season -- but it was definitely the right thing to do.

The hotel was renovated just a few years ago, so it makes a good first impression. I was particularly delighted with my room. Almost everything about it was right. I was a little worried because I had booked a single; however, the room would have been large enough for two people. It was modern and upscale. The bed was and large comfortable. Hot, high pressure shower. Safe. Hair dryer. The A/C was perfect (once you get the front desk to set the desired temperature). My package included free and fast internet (through a LAN cable). This is a huge plus in a country where the internet quality is hit or miss.

I had paid a bit extra for a room facing the sea. (You can do this on the Jadranka site.) I was also fortunate enough to get a corner room on the second floor (what Americans would call the 3rd floor). The room had ceiling-to-floor windows with sheer curtains and German-style window shutters. There was a nice little balcony with good table and chairs. The partition fully blocked the neighbours, but the glass balcony I had pines right outside my room, through which I could see the sea (and the sunsets). It was beautiful. Not all of the rooms have this though.

The flat-screen TV was on the small side and had only three English stations, and they were all news channels. This is one point for improvement. Fortunately, the Croatian stations had occasional English programming.

I booked half board. Indeed, given the low extra cost, it made little sense not to do so. I thought the buffet meals were great. Indeed, I was blown away the first few days. Every night there was a huge selection and an endless supply of salads, meat, fish, vegetables, desserts, and so on. The cuisine seemed to be mainly local, but there was Italian and German food as well. It was just as good as the cruise ship. The breakfast was equally impressive.

Sure the buffet set-up had a traffic problem and it grew repetitive after a while, but that’s to be expected. The meals are served in a large air-conditioned smoke-free dining room at level -1. (There is a sea view terrace for smokers.) There is no dress code, but the guests are Europeans who generally are used to dining. On most evenings there was a performance in the evening.

I did a lot of walking while I was there, but I also relied heavily on the “hotel bus” to get around and explore the area. A week pass cost only 70 kuna (around 10 euros). The bus’s route brings you to Cikat, Punta, Veli Losinj, Mali Losinj (bus station & port) and the upper part of Mali Losinj. It was all I needed. I organised my activities around the published hotel bus schedule. I was able to coordinate this with side trips to Silba and Ilovik on the catamaran ferry. Expensive tours are also available if you want to take one.

If you come by ferry (from Pula or Zadar), the bus station is 500 metres to your left when you get off the boat. On the way you can stop at the tourist office to get a map and a bus schedule. Pay 10 kuna for your first ride, but then buy the week pass at the hotel.

The hotel is located on Suncana Uvala (Sunny Bay) on the outskirts of Mali Losinj. This is an hotel and recreation area on the west side of the island of Losinj, facing the Adriatic. Hotel Aurora and Hotel Vespera are situated next to each other and are owned by the same hotel company (Jadranka). So it is all effectively a single large complex, the guests at one hotel being able to use the facilities of the other. This isolated, large complex concept was all very open and relaxed, slightly institutional in its feel.

These hotels are located on a pine-covered ridge overlooking the sea, i.e. about 50 metres inland from the sea and 50 metres above the water line. The hotel grounds blend into the surroundings, so the effect is of being in a pine forest.

The land slopes down from the hotel to a rocky shore. The pines provide plenty of shade to sun bathers. Ladders and concrete paths and platforms have been installed in and along the rocky shore to help provide water access. At a few places in this area there are sand or pebble beaches suitable for lounge chairs and for kids to enter the water. During the high season these spots are crowded though.

The bay in front of the hotel is ideal. The water was clean, crystal clear and warm in July. I snorkelled extensively, but there was not all that much to see. The swimming is excellent all over the area. The pools at the hotel are salt water, so bring or buy goggles. The indoor pool in the hotel is 20 metres long. The outdoor pool at the Vespera is 30 metres long. Even in high season I was able to do laps without any difficulties here.

Along the shore there is a walking/cycling path extending along the shore around much of the island. Runners, walkers and cyclists are out every morning. There is also a network of pine-covered paths heading inland towards town and the undeveloped part of the island. From the hotel it’s about 1 klik to town, an easy walk except that it is uphill coming back.

The gym is too small and ill-equipped. I took the hotel bus to Punta and worked out there every other day. However, even this gym (the best in the area) is not that great despite the new equipment. There’s also a gym at Bellevue, but I can’t report on that. Apparently it’s got older equipment.

They have a full and proper spa here. I thought it was excellent, with one small comment: why were the two jacuzzis both cool to lukewarm? Was that intentional?

There is a bike rental on the beach, but it was something like 90 kuna per day. You can get it cheaper in several places in town. Despite what they tell you, the biking situation on this island is not ideal. The roads seemed too narrow and winding. However, there were plenty of cyclists about.

I was there during high season, so the hotel was filled with well-behaved middle-class European families and couples. This hotel is quite multinational, but (like most of the hotels in this area, I suspect) you couldn’t say the guests were a truly diverse group Most of the guests are Croatians, Slovenians, German-speakers and Italians. There were few English speakers. However, the hotel staff speak English and all the signs are in English, English being apparently the de facto lingua franca at this polyglot hotel.

One point though: when the weather is nice during the high season, the competition for deck chairs is fierce. I don’t want to be ungracious and long-winded about this, but I’ve never seen a hotel where this anti-social behaviour had such free reign. For me, this was the hotel’s most serious demerit. If you want to relax all day on proper lounge chairs, you’ll have to set your clock for 7 a.m. and then claim your spot. When in Rome…

In this case, the hotel is partly to blame: there are not nearly enough deck chairs and umbrellas and there are no posted rules. The large shoreline is unmonitored and open to all, including non-guests. Many people had brought or purchased padded mats and lay on them instead. There’s plenty of shades in the pine woods behind the shore. The mats are also useful for laying on the rocks.

A final word about the staff. I’ve never been to a Croatian resort. I was so impressed at the quality of the staff and the level of service. I had just gotten off a cruise ship where the service was also excellent, but in a superficial sort of way. The service here was deep, “old Europe” service. The people working at this hotel are older, experienced people who really know what they’re doing. The guests generally seemed to ignore each other, but the staff always greeted me with a smile and a pleasant “dobra utra” every morning.

In a nutshell, book this place with confidence. You’ll have a great holiday. It’s a four-star establishment, but I’m giving it an extra star to reflect my positive experience.

Room Tip: If you want pine in front of your window, I would recommend a room on the top two floors in the bloc...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Boutique Hotel Alhambra & Villa Augusta
Villa Kredo
Villa Kredo
#11 of 13 in Mali Losinj

Been to Wellness Hotel Aurora? Share your experiences!