“A pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Mali Losinj
London, United Kingdom
“A pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We didn't expect much from this hotel, but we were pleasantly surprised. Having had all kinds of experiences with Croatia's four star hotels, we expected a bleak hotel in the middle of nowhere. We got a nice room overlooking the sea. The hotel was quiet and is set in a wonderful pine forest, which was a great plus. It was September, so the hotel was full of elderly guests and we didn't mind at all, since there was no shouting and screaming of children. A naturist beach is 200 m away, which was a plus for us. Breakfast was perhaps the biggest surprise, since there was everything you could think of. We will be back for sure, since this hotel is just 4 hours away from where we live. This is a nice place if you are planning a relaxing break by the sea, if you wish to enjoy wild parties, I recommend a different place.
Mali Losinj itself is a quiet town, just a 15-minute walk away. We went to have dinner in town and it was nice, but a bit overpriced. We will therefore most definitely have dinner in the hotel. The hotel offers nice walks around it, which you can use for jogging too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kreni
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Wellness Hotel Aurora, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you very much for the positive comments. We work hard to offer good food and friendly, efficient service, and I’m so glad your visit was enjoyable. I will pass your feedback on to the team, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Snježana Baljak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We just stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for my boyfriends birthday. It is really a very nice, big and clean hotel. The rooms are very nice. They have a great air conditioner, a small refrigerator and a big sized bathroom. We got there a bit early and they offered to store our luggage for us while the room was getting cleaned. During the day, everyone goes out front of the hotel and finds their place on the rocks somewhere. The hotel provides lounge chairs and umbrellas along with towels. There are several activities you can pay a fee to do in front of the hotel, things like getting pulled by a boat in these tubes, paragliding, paddle boats etc... We booked through an agency ahead of time and i wanted to make sure we had an ocean view because it was my birthday present for my boyfriend. When we went to the front desk when we arrived i again asked to make sure we had an ocean view and they said yes we did. When we got to the room it was on the first floor and from our balcony you could barely see the ocean through the trees. But somehow they consider that an ocean view. So if you really want an ocean view you must book a “Premiere room” which is on the 4th floor at the very top! Our other favorite thing was the food they provided was absolutely fabulous. They do a HUGE buffet style for breakfast and dinner. This was considered half board when we booked the room. We are both vegetarians and were concerned there would not be much selection but there was plenty for us and more. We saved a lot of money not going out to eat 2-3 times a day. We had met a man who has been coming to The Aurora Hotel for 10 years and at first when he said this i thought why and by the end of our stay, i could easily see why he does.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view, book a Premiere room on the 4th floor!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julie C
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Wellness Hotel Aurora, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give usyour feedback. We are pleased that you chose to celebrate souch a special occasion with us. Happy birthday once again!
Snježana Baljak & Aurora team
Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is a well-managed quality hotel, set in an aromatic pine forest tumbling into the sea. After our cruise ended in Venice, I came here (via Pula) for an extra week of downtime at a quiet resort where I could relax and work out. It turned out that I liked this hotel so much I extended my stay for a second week.

As usual, I found out about it on Booking.com. It surprised me how relatively affordable it was, given the high TA score. Intriguing. I was able to bring the cost down even a little more by booking it directly on the Jadranka website. It was a bit of a gamble to book at the last minute in high season -- but it was definitely the right thing to do.

The hotel was renovated just a few years ago, so it makes a good first impression. I was particularly delighted with my room. Almost everything about it was right. I was a little worried because I had booked a single; however, the room would have been large enough for two people. It was modern and upscale. The bed was and large comfortable. Hot, high pressure shower. Safe. Hair dryer. The A/C was perfect (once you get the front desk to set the desired temperature). My package included free and fast internet (through a LAN cable). This is a huge plus in a country where the internet quality is hit or miss.

I had paid a bit extra for a room facing the sea. (You can do this on the Jadranka site.) I was also fortunate enough to get a corner room on the second floor (what Americans would call the 3rd floor). The room had ceiling-to-floor windows with sheer curtains and German-style window shutters. There was a nice little balcony with good table and chairs. The partition fully blocked the neighbours, but the glass balcony I had pines right outside my room, through which I could see the sea (and the sunsets). It was beautiful. Not all of the rooms have this though.

The flat-screen TV was on the small side and had only three English stations, and they were all news channels. This is one point for improvement. Fortunately, the Croatian stations had occasional English programming.

I booked half board. Indeed, given the low extra cost, it made little sense not to do so. I thought the buffet meals were great. Indeed, I was blown away the first few days. Every night there was a huge selection and an endless supply of salads, meat, fish, vegetables, desserts, and so on. The cuisine seemed to be mainly local, but there was Italian and German food as well. It was just as good as the cruise ship. The breakfast was equally impressive.

Sure the buffet set-up had a traffic problem and it grew repetitive after a while, but that’s to be expected. The meals are served in a large air-conditioned smoke-free dining room at level -1. (There is a sea view terrace for smokers.) There is no dress code, but the guests are Europeans who generally are used to dining. On most evenings there was a performance in the evening.

I did a lot of walking while I was there, but I also relied heavily on the “hotel bus” to get around and explore the area. A week pass cost only 70 kuna (around 10 euros). The bus’s route brings you to Cikat, Punta, Veli Losinj, Mali Losinj (bus station & port) and the upper part of Mali Losinj. It was all I needed. I organised my activities around the published hotel bus schedule. I was able to coordinate this with side trips to Silba and Ilovik on the catamaran ferry. Expensive tours are also available if you want to take one.

If you come by ferry (from Pula or Zadar), the bus station is 500 metres to your left when you get off the boat. On the way you can stop at the tourist office to get a map and a bus schedule. Pay 10 kuna for your first ride, but then buy the week pass at the hotel.

The hotel is located on Suncana Uvala (Sunny Bay) on the outskirts of Mali Losinj. This is an hotel and recreation area on the west side of the island of Losinj, facing the Adriatic. Hotel Aurora and Hotel Vespera are situated next to each other and are owned by the same hotel company (Jadranka). So it is all effectively a single large complex, the guests at one hotel being able to use the facilities of the other. This isolated, large complex concept was all very open and relaxed, slightly institutional in its feel.

These hotels are located on a pine-covered ridge overlooking the sea, i.e. about 50 metres inland from the sea and 50 metres above the water line. The hotel grounds blend into the surroundings, so the effect is of being in a pine forest.

The land slopes down from the hotel to a rocky shore. The pines provide plenty of shade to sun bathers. Ladders and concrete paths and platforms have been installed in and along the rocky shore to help provide water access. At a few places in this area there are sand or pebble beaches suitable for lounge chairs and for kids to enter the water. During the high season these spots are crowded though.

The bay in front of the hotel is ideal. The water was clean, crystal clear and warm in July. I snorkelled extensively, but there was not all that much to see. The swimming is excellent all over the area. The pools at the hotel are salt water, so bring or buy goggles. The indoor pool in the hotel is 20 metres long. The outdoor pool at the Vespera is 30 metres long. Even in high season I was able to do laps without any difficulties here.

Along the shore there is a walking/cycling path extending along the shore around much of the island. Runners, walkers and cyclists are out every morning. There is also a network of pine-covered paths heading inland towards town and the undeveloped part of the island. From the hotel it’s about 1 klik to town, an easy walk except that it is uphill coming back.

The gym is too small and ill-equipped. I took the hotel bus to Punta and worked out there every other day. However, even this gym (the best in the area) is not that great despite the new equipment. There’s also a gym at Bellevue, but I can’t report on that. Apparently it’s got older equipment.

They have a full and proper spa here. I thought it was excellent, with one small comment: why were the two jacuzzis both cool to lukewarm? Was that intentional?

There is a bike rental on the beach, but it was something like 90 kuna per day. You can get it cheaper in several places in town. Despite what they tell you, the biking situation on this island is not ideal. The roads seemed too narrow and winding. However, there were plenty of cyclists about.

I was there during high season, so the hotel was filled with well-behaved middle-class European families and couples. This hotel is quite multinational, but (like most of the hotels in this area, I suspect) you couldn’t say the guests were a truly diverse group Most of the guests are Croatians, Slovenians, German-speakers and Italians. There were few English speakers. However, the hotel staff speak English and all the signs are in English, English being apparently the de facto lingua franca at this polyglot hotel.

One point though: when the weather is nice during the high season, the competition for deck chairs is fierce. I don’t want to be ungracious and long-winded about this, but I’ve never seen a hotel where this anti-social behaviour had such free reign. For me, this was the hotel’s most serious demerit. If you want to relax all day on proper lounge chairs, you’ll have to set your clock for 7 a.m. and then claim your spot. When in Rome…

In this case, the hotel is partly to blame: there are not nearly enough deck chairs and umbrellas and there are no posted rules. The large shoreline is unmonitored and open to all, including non-guests. Many people had brought or purchased padded mats and lay on them instead. There’s plenty of shades in the pine woods behind the shore. The mats are also useful for laying on the rocks.

A final word about the staff. I’ve never been to a Croatian resort. I was so impressed at the quality of the staff and the level of service. I had just gotten off a cruise ship where the service was also excellent, but in a superficial sort of way. The service here was deep, “old Europe” service. The people working at this hotel are older, experienced people who really know what they’re doing. The guests generally seemed to ignore each other, but the staff always greeted me with a smile and a pleasant “dobra utra” every morning.

In a nutshell, book this place with confidence. You’ll have a great holiday. It’s a four-star establishment, but I’m giving it an extra star to reflect my positive experience.

Room Tip: If you want pine in front of your window, I would recommend a room on the top two floors in the bloc...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank zwerf
Slovakia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

Have returned yesterday from family holiday at Aurora hotel and overall feelings are mostly positive. I have stayed in Croatia several times during 90's, then after pause again in 2008 and returned again this year. I can compare Aurora to Valamar Club Tamaris which I stayed at back in 2008 from family holidays point of view. Both hotels are older buildings that underwent extensive reconstruction in the second half of noughties. Aurora has nice spacious lobby with reception and concierge desks, bar with plenty of seating options. We stayed at suite room which is the only option for families with 2 kids - there are 2 rooms, small anteroom, bathroom and relatively big balcony. All family suites are facing sea side westwards - but due to pine trees you don't see much water - not an issue for me, but if it issue for you, ask for the highest floor available. I would describe the room itself as satisfying - I have stayed in many better 4* hotels in terms of overall impression - don't expect Radisson Blu or other chain hotels level. I think selection of several materials during reconstruction was bit on a budget side (cheap looking laminate flooring, tiles in the bathroom, carpet in corridors, cheap looking chairs in the main restaurant). But don't get me wrong, there is nothing substantial to complain about accomodation and technically we can speak about "lower" 4* level in rooms and proper 4* in other areas. Compared to hotel rooms in Valamar Club Tamaris there are marginal differences in favour of Valamar. Cleanliness wasn't a problem though, our room was cleaned on daily basis.
Free wired and wireless internet are nice bonuses included in the price of stay which is still not standard these days even in more expensive hotels. Wired internet tends to be more dependable, with download speed varying typically between 3 to 5 Mbit/s, upload 300 kbit/s only. Wi-fi is available in lobby/bar area - speed obviously heavily depends on amount of people connected at the same time, making it literaly unusable especially in the evening.
Main restaurant is vast and tends to get crowded after 8am during breakfast and during dinner - but this is typical for all half board holiday hotels, so I wouldn't consider it disadvantage of this particular hotel. However food is in my opinion strong point of the hotel and I have to admit I am quite picky. Breakfasts are varied, you get typical choice of cold & hot buffet ranging from ham (even prsut - prosciuto type), cheese, pates, spreads, mayonnaise salads, smoked fish, choice of cereals, fresh fruits, full cream, semi-skimed and skimmed milk, yoghurt (although a bit sloppy), jam, not to forget grilled or cooked sausages, bacon, pancakes, scrambled and fried eggs. You could also have omelette made directly to your taste with choice of bacon, ham, mushrooms, capsicum, onion and cheese to throw in. Regarding the omelette preparation, there is some room for improvement - there is only one cook and one pan available and the same cook has to operate the grill with sausages & bacon and even giant pan for scrambled eggs at the same time! Which results in long queues and unpleasant delays for omelette lovers. I can remeber dedicated omelette cooks with either vast grill or at least 2-3 separate pans during my previous vacations in Turkey in recent years. Some might say I am
too fastidious, but it's these little details that make an overall impression. Nice bonus - you can have espresso/cappucino/latte machiato from La Cimballa self service automatic machine, again a feature not seen in many 5* hotels. The only letdown - they use rather cheap and thus not very tasty coffee beans. And the last word goes for "juices" - expect the usual sirup water dispenser - nowhere close to a real fruit juice.
Dinners were similarly nice with wide choice of dishes ranging from 2 soups of the day, cold starters to roast or grilled meats (pork, beef, poultry, lamb), various sides and desserts including ice cream (good point if you have kids). Negative details - there was only radichcio and lollo biondo available from fresh leaf salads constantly (where is ruccola and other memebers of this broad family?). Tomatoes were only sliced big ones (cherry or cocktail tomatoes would be wellcome enrichment). I have to make special notice on fish and seafood - there were always 3-4 different fish dishes every night including not only ordinary fried hake/cod routine, but also shark fillet, tuna, red dragon fish, fried squids, fish stews, cold octopuss, squid or tuna salads etc. As this is half-board basis hotel, be aware that drinks are NOT included and tend to be quite costly (nearly 3€ for 0.2l juice or 0.25l coke/fanta, over 3€ for 0.75l of mineral water or 0,5l bottle of local beer etc.) However, there is nice detail to mention - approximately every second evening there was a waiter at the restaurant entrance offering either a glass of free sparkling wine or local spirits (rakija, travarica) and orange/apple juice for kids (this time real juice). Talking about meals and nice surprises - as a matter of fact I celebrated my birthday during our stay at Aurora - this fact was met by a birthday card, bottle of sparkling wine and neat cake that awaited me in our room after coming back from the beach. Another fact that illustrates attention to details by the hotel management.
If you hesitate whether to pick Aurora or sister hotel Vespera nextdoors for your family holiday, go for the first one. Both hotels form one complex with Aurora being promoted as wellness/conference option and Vespera as the family hotel. But my brief impression is that Vespera tends to be more noisy because of sheer amount of families with kids. Even if you pick Aurora you can still hand your kids to hotel animators at designated times (10 AM and 2PM if I remember that correctly) and you can also use children's pools that lie between both hotels. However, if you still use a pram for your offsprings, beware - both hotels lie on a relatively steep slope with big amount of steps to climb from the beach to the hotel. (The same warning applies to disabled persons). Vespera hotel is less challenging in this respect - hillside flattens out towards the hotel and there is at least one path with ramp if I remember that right.
Which brings me to the sea and beach part of this review. First - if you have never been to Croatia, get prepared. There are almost no sandy beaches in this country, many of them are either gravelly or rocky, often finished with concrete and ladders to ease the access to the water. If you insist you have to bring home pictures of your child building a sand castle, look elsewhere. Beach called Veli Zal is not hotel-owned, it's accessible to public which makes it crowded especially on weekends. (But not worse than my previous Turkey or Greece experience). The very tip of Suncana Uvala (Sunny Bay) consist of gravelly section not more than 100 metres long, which is full of deckchairs and beach umbrellas, the rest of the beach is aforementioned rocky/concrete type. Which doesn't sound tempting, does it? But it's not that bad in real life, my kids are 7 and 5 yrs old and they weren't missing the sand for a second. Absence of sand has one big positive - the water is incredibly clear especially in the morning, colours ranging from turquoise to deep blue with breathtaking visibility underwater. You have to see it for yourself, Croatia prides itself on seawater quality. But there is a but - aforementioned tip of the bay tends to attract disgusting dirt (especially plastic debris) in approx. 5-10 metres wide belt along the beach. If you avoid this part, everything will be fine. As to deckchairs and umbrellas - they are free of charge (not that usual in Croatia). Sadly, you just have to forget your sense for fair play - if you don´t put your towel on a deckchair before 8:30 AM at latest, you will be lying on concrete or rock. I resigned on third day of our stay and did it the way everybody did. The hotel also boasts its' wellness part consisting of small outdoor saltwater pool and 2 indoor jacuzzi plus 20m pool which are freely accessible during the day. For saunas which are also included in the price you have to make a reservation - won't comment on this, haven't used them.
Hotel staff is mostly attentive, if sometimes lacking smile (common problem in almost all post-communist countries). But generally nothing to complain about, all requests were resolved quickly.
So to sum it up and add the comparison with Valamar Club Tamaris - although Valamar is all inclusive light which means full board and drinks during meals, it's not worth the extra money. I payed 1770€ for 8 nights for family of four, Valamar Club Tamaris would be approx. 3200€ for the same period. In other areas both hotels are very close side-by-side with price advantage lying on Aurora's side. The price/value ratio of this hotel is very good to excellent and you could spend similar money in Croatia on much worse hotel. Aurora is really recommendable choice with only minor reservations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Martin_NR
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Wellness Hotel Aurora, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Mr./Mrs
On behalf of Hotel Aurora, and me personally, I thank you very much for staying in our hotel. Your comments are very important to us. They provide us with objectives and directions towards continual improvements.
Sincerely yours
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

It was a really nice hotel at a nice location. Hotel has good service, nice staff, very good and wide range of food.
They are cleaning regularly the hotel and beach area (sometimes would need more often the sea because of waves taking the garbage). I have been to several 4 star hotels, but the buffet dinner and breakfast were the best here. I liked the most the seafood at dinner and the freshly made pancakes at bfast.

Room Tip: 4th floor seaview rooms are recommended
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Styke
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Wellness Hotel Aurora, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Mr./Mrs. Styke
on behalf of Hotel Aurora, and me personally, I thank you very much for staying in our hotel. Your comments are very important to us. They provide us with objectives and directions towards continual improvements.
Sincerely yours,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

First night 22nd July first impressions very good location" Went into the main restaurant sat down no body came, so we waited ! Waiter came over we asked for wine menu waited again for ten minutes! No sign of him, decided to go for food still no sign of wine waiter, anyway by the time we received the wine we were on our deserts" not very good for a four stared hotel be ware!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Hempenstall
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Wellness Hotel Aurora, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Mr./Mrs
Sincerely yours
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Been here three times so far, and looks like I'm gonna return a few more :) Friendly staff, home atmosphere. Every detail is like it should be. Plenty of food choices, breakfast or dinner. Beautiful sea and pine shade. A lot of hiking trails nearby. Rooms are quite big and well maintained. Enjoyed the stay in every way. Warm recommendations.

• Stayed July 2012
Boutique Hotel Alhambra & Villa Augusta
Mare Mare Suites
Mare Mare Suites
#6 of 14 in Mali Losinj

Been to Wellness Hotel Aurora? Share your experiences!