“Great place, wonderful hotel”

Family Hotel Vespera
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Mali Losinj
Reviewed August 28, 2013

just came back from this hotel and it was a great experience. Very nice family room, with spotless room service. Food was very good, kid's programme fantastic and staff very helpful, especially Ines at the front desk. The beach entrance is not suitable for smaller kids, but the water was very clean. Overall a great experience and we will come back next year, for sure.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Patrik M
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Family Hotel Vespera, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Mr. Patrik

On behalf of hotel Vespera and me personally, I thank you very much for staying in our hotel Vespera. We are very happy that it was a great experience for you and your family, and that we meet your expectiations.
We look forward to welcoming you again at our Family Hotel Vespera.

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Our second time in a familliy hotel and first in chain of Kinder hotels. If you are without children or you dont like them then stay away. I will try to summarize my experience with this hotel.

Hotel

Its refurbished. Modern colors, nice interior the staff is mostly friendly but you can notice that not everybody is pleased to be working here. And also you can notice that not all of them like children. I think this must be a priority when you work in such a hotel. The room furniture is okej. I would just expect that these would be more children friendly. For instance the electricity outlets are on a height which can be accessed by children. Also wifi would be nice to have in a room. Otherwise the rooms are big enough for 2 persons, but we were three. Hotel also offers animation thru the day but we didnt attend because our child was too young. But we could see that they are trying their best to make kids happy and satisfied.

We had breakfast and dinner - halfboard. Everything was okej, food was well prepared we only wanted the children corner to be bigger and some more healty food would be nice too. Too much pommes and frites style food. Child also got a free lunch. You have at your disposal three or four other restaurants for additional charge. We ate in Veli zal and Laterna Grill. The first one is near the beach and you can get predominetly fish food. Excellent. The same goes for Laterna grill. We were their twice. The first time everything was okej, the second time the service (waiters) was very poor. And BTW you must visit this restaurant if not for the food then for the view. Gorgeous. We were also in a bar Borik, not far from the hotel. Great bar with excellent bar menu and even better views. I cant recommend the food.

Outdoors

Beautifull. Long stone beach with a lot of swim exercises. The only drawback are the STEPS. If you come here with a wheelchair or babychair then be prepared for the steps. I really cant understand why they can built near the steps some pathways for babychairs. It is really frustrating to carry child, babychair and beach equiptment up and down. If you are jogging type or you like long walks dont forget to bring with you running shoes. There are several paths you can choose of, one more beautifull then the other. And most of them go along the sea.
Dont forget to visit neighbourghing islands.

Overall we were satisfied. I would recommend this hotel again but there is still room for improvement. All the the best to the staff.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Iztok P
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Family Hotel Vespera, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Sir Iztok
Thank you for your review. We are very happy to see that this was your second time at our hotel and especially through the Kinderhotels chain. We are sorry if you got the impression that some of the staff is not children friendly. That is not our policy. Children are very important to us, that is why we are family hotel with special attention to children. Your feedback is very important to us, and as you wrote, there is always room for improvement. We are trying to do the best. What is in our power we do immediatly, and what is not, we plan for the future, but we are always thinking on our guests.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Internet did not work and I also could not get a phone connection to make an international call. If you at all need access to internet and phone this is a bad choice. I should point out the staff was trying to be helpful but it was the system.

The hotel seems out of town but it was perhaps a 15 minute walk to town which was pleasant and I did at least once daily.

The Adriatic in front of hotel was pleasant to swim in. It wasn't a classic beach to make sandcastles but was good for swimming. The hotel also had various floating toys kids could take.

The hotel had a shaded basketball half court which my kids enjoyed.

The food buffet was large. The first couple of nights they served local fish including calimari which wasn't too off restaurant food. At 5 euros a person for dinner this was excellent value. After a couple of nights the switched to tuna and the buffet in general got a bit monotonous.

If you stay in Mali losinj you can either sort of stay in town and walk to the beach daily for 10-15 minutes or stay at a beach and walk to town. I think with kids this hotel was a good option.

By the way there is a good drop off laundry next to the supermarket on the way to town.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Richard10024

Dear Sir Richard
Thank you for your review. We are very sorry that you had problems with the Internet and phone connection. As you wrote yourself, we had technical problem with the system, and we did everything to resolve it as soon as possible. Unfortunately, since we are on the island, we could not resolve it immediatly. We are glade that you were satisfied with everything else at the hotel. That is extremely important to us. We look forward to welcoming you again at our Family Hotel Vespera, and I hope we will make your next vacation at our hotel even better.
Sincerly yours

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel is a really good option for those who do no need (want) frequent internet access. Although the discription of the hotel insists that the Wi-Fi is available everywhere, including rooms the true is samowhat different. It was not easy to connect at the hotel lobby. The signal in my room was really weak. It was almost not posiible to connect. Moreover, the wire internet connection did not work at all and the girl at the reception said "I can do nothing with it" ! Disaster !

Room Tip: If you choose room from the see-side you will experience very loud music late in the night
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Piotr J
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Family Hotel Vespera, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Sir

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry that you had problems with Internet in your room. We had some technical problem, and we did everything to resolve it as soon as possible. Currently we have WiFi Internet in the lobby, and in the rooms we have cable Internet connaction. All those informations can be found on our website www.losinj-hotels.com. Your feedback is very important to us, so we can provide better service in the future.
We look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel, and we hope we will make your next vacation at our hotel Vespera even better.
Sincerely yours

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We are really enjoying our stay and are happy with everything in the hotel, especially the kids entertainment, the location and the staff are really friendly and helpful. The choice of food is good, the hotel is modern and very clean.
Very dissapointed however that the hotel charges 3 euros per sunbed per day everywhere outside the pool area, which also means on the beach right in front of the hotel (the sunbeds belong to the hotel). No returning customer wants to feel ripped off, which Vespera does with this unreasonable policy. It's not like it's a cheap hotel either.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Zipo71
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Family Hotel Vespera, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Sir

On behalf of the Family Hotel Vespera and me personally, I thank you for staying at our hotel. We are very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and that you were happy with everything in the hotel. Your comments are very important to us, they provide us with objectives and directions towards continuous improvements.
We are sorry that you were disapointed with the sunbed charges, and that you got a feeling that we wanna ripp you off. That was not our intention at all. We are only interesting in providing good service to all of our guests.
I hope you will visit us again.
Best regards,

Reviewed September 28, 2012

This might be a long review, nonetheless I wish someone had posted it before so we would have arranged for a different holiday. We work all year and we have only one summer holiday. It's another year before we get another chance.
I'd like to specify I'm not a picky or difficult person. Before having children we spent our holidays adventurously, so I've no problem enduring discomfort. But not when I'm paying through the nose for service which doesn't exist.
I'm writing this review in English hoping to reach out to a greater number of travellers. I wish someone had told me the things I am about to write before embarking on what was possibly the worst holiday of our lives.

Part one: evaluation of children facilities.
First of all, this is NOT a kinderhotel. I am flabbergasted that the chain "Kinderhotel" has recognized this hotel as meeting their standards. I have been to two other ones and this has nothing to do with them.
The "restaurant" (which is nothing better than a canteen) is not equipped for children- apart for the high chairs which nowadays you find in every restaurant anyway. No children's cutlery, no nibs (be sure to bring enough for your stay or detergent to wash them or paper ones, any way you like it the solution is up to you!)
Rooms are tiny. If you're familiar with kinderhotels and the concept of family rooms, you'll be misled by reading in the website that this hotel offers them. All they have is a collection of tiny double rooms with a single sofa bed to sleep your child, or alternatively two identical ones of these rooms connected. Somewhere they have bunk beds but the probability is that you don't know what you are getting at the time of the reservation. I had arranged with the reception to get a double room connected with a room with single bed and accordingly bought and brought a bed rail as my 2-year is not yet accustomed to sleep in a normal bed. Guess what we got? Two doubles connected. As if my 2 yr old would sleep in a double bed... we were paying a double room just for her! Note also that I had inquired the size (in square meters) of the room and never got a direct reply, only photos. If you go on the website if any kinderhotel you will find a selection of rooms, family rooms and suites WITH FLOOR PLANS AND SIZE DATA. This info is kept well hidden here or people would realize the absurdity before booking.
Anyway, after you've squeezed all your equipment in the tiny cabinets you're left with no place to store your suitcase. We had a hard shell one so we kept the empty case on the balcony. Filling a huge space is a tiny fridge full of mini bar items, including a selection of small liquor bottles-- right at child's height with no key. Hmm... funny how a Kinderhotel did not think of that! In fact our little one, who is used to identifying as hers anything shrunk in size, in 2 minutes of room exploration had opened the fridge, noticed the bottles and pointed at them saying her name, proud that this new hotel environment had thought of her needs by providing drinks in her size... A note says you're not allowed to store anything of yours in the fridge. I ignored it and kept my child's evening milk in there-- after all, this is supposed to be a kinderhotel. Again the comparison with other hotels of the chain, we always had an EMPTY fridge at our disposal in our room before.
So, let's start exploring outside the room. There is, after all, a baby club which we want to check out. This is what we came here for, right? Well, it turns out it isn't equipped for babies at all! For instance there is no chance to make children sleep after lunch! So don't count on more than 3 hrs baby club from 10 to 13.00 if your baby naps in the afternoon, as you will have to pick her up. Even if she might have slept, there's such loud music there after lunch that it's not possible. So no special quiet room like you might know it from other kinderhotels.
Already disappointed, we go out to check the beach!
Did I mention beach? This is actually removed from the vespera, in fact it's below the aurora so you 'll need to walk a while with your child & all the stuff you might want to bring with you (towels, floating devices, games...). Don't expect to just ride the elevator to the beach, you will encounter sharp cliffs in front of the hotel exit- beautiful typical Croatian shoreline which we personally love, but inappropriate for young children as there's no smooth water entrance nor safe walking for inexperienced feet. so prepare to walk about 1km until you reach the only bit of hotels shoreline with some beach, especially if you have to push a buggy, for which there is only a single ramp going first to the far left, while for the beach you have to go far right.
Anyway you'll realize it's all worth the effort as you get to the famous beach (this was sarcastic): Sunbeds are so tightly packed that you might wonder where the "pebble sand" is. Or where you might put your towels and gear if you didn't think to walk that km before breakfast in order to reserve a place with your towel.
So, when the day comes to an end and you're going to sleep in your wonderfully tiny room, be prepared to enjoy loud music until 11 pm. So loud that, since our daughter likes to dance, we remained in the garden dancing with the music, missing the shows on the terrace for the sake of our ears. Or we went for a walk with the buggy along the shoreline path under the pine trees in the evenings until she fell asleep and came back after the music stopped.
Ah and btw if you need milk for your child in the evening you can BUY it at the bar. It's only 50 cents, but you rely on the bar's opening time and it's another difference with other kinderhotels where you have it available 24h at mom's corner.
The cherry on the cake: the washing machine and clothes line advertised on the website don't exist! They have normal hotel laundry service-- and prices. So be prepared to hand wash those nibs you brought from home.

Part two: evaluation of the hotel per se
I wonder who gave 4 starts to this place.
-First impression as you arrive: you are all tired from the long trip and impatient to start your holiday! Hmm, where will you leave the car for unloading though? There is no place near the entrance! No reserved check-in parking place to unload luggage-- which with children is notoriously a loadful... Plus the little ones are impatient from the trip, so this is not a good time to start having problems. Don't count on any luggage service either, at most you get a luggage cart if you ask for one (don't wait to be offered) which you will have to maneuver to your car, wherever it was you parked it, probably uphill - oh, did I mention the cart has no breaks? Have fun holding on to an impatient child understandably wanting to get out of the car and running around in the street, a slipping luggage cart and your rising anger.
-Let's move over to the restaurant. A hotel on the sea, with beautiful pines and a large garden, but which can spare only about 15 tables on the terrace and something like 200 indoors in a canteen-like environment (with the sound of cutlery and people you can imagine). You might even be told to come later to dinner as it might be difficult to find a table the moment you wanted to eat. Explain that to your child...
-Sunbeds are insufficient in number, try finding a free one anywhere (at the beach, on the cliffs, at the pool or under the pine trees) after breakfast. Looks like they arranged for half the sunbeds as the number of guests.
- The pool is shared between 2 hotels i.e. way undersized.
- The construction has paper thin walls, so spare setting your alarm as kids yelling in the hallways will start waking you from 6 am and delight you until past 10 am. Even people speaking normally in the next room in the evening sound like they're in the room with you and might give you a hard time making you convince your child it's bedtime.
- Ah, and leave your smartphones, netbooks and iPads at home if you bring them to keep up to date, as there's no wifi, only cable Internet.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
36  Thank Tartaifel
Losinj-hotels, General Manager at Family Hotel Vespera, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Guest

On behalf of hotel Vespera, and me personally, I thank you very much for staying in our hotel. Your comments are very important to us. They provide us with objectives and directions towards continual improvements.
As upon reading your review, we see that you have most probably been in a kinderhotel with more than 3 smileys category. Our hotel is a 3-smiley hotel and meets all necessary requirements to meet the 3-smiley standards of kinderhotels.
Thank you for your valuable feedback on information published on our website. Regarding the laundry service we must say that on our website we do not advertise any other kind of laundry service but regular hotel laundry (paying service). We assure you that hotel information published on our official website is regularly updated and correct. More detailed room description (that includes room size in m2 for every room type) is available in On-line booking section of our website. We are sorry if it is not clear or visible enough. Taking into account your comment we have decided to review our general room descriptions and broaden them with the information about the exact room size (in m2).
Regarding other service in hotel, your feedback provide us good directions for improvements, and it will help us to be better.
Once again we apologize that we did not satisfy your expectations, and we hope, you will visite us again.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've been in the Vespera hotel for 9 days, with my wife and my kid. We all had a great time there both in the hotel and around. The hotel is prefect for families, it is very well prepared for kids, has animation, babysitting, good rooms, great (all inclusive type of) food and ready-for-service personal. The surroundings are very beautiful; I remember the beach next to the hotel, nice walks by the coast and especially Veli and Mali Losinj. The hotel is very multicultural and you'll find there people from all around Europe. A great present for your kids!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
#5 of 13 in Mali Losinj
Villa Kredo
Villa Kredo
#11 of 13 in Mali Losinj

Been to Family Hotel Vespera? Share your experiences!