“Fish & Chips Fridays”

Jardyland
Ranked #19 of 240 Restaurants in Abidjan
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: I found this Restaurant & Bar by chance, and it is a very popular meeting place for the english speaking expatriate community. Hidden up a narrow alley, it offers a high level of security and discretion.
Arlington, Virginia, United States
“Fish & Chips Fridays”
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Great green beans, and fish and chips on Fridays. Definitely an expat and Ivoirian gathering place, with a cool atmosphere.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Angie E

Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
“Jardyland not what it used to be”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Although the menu, the decor and the music remain great, the service at Jardyland is downright rude. Complaints to the manager led to no improvement. It is difficult to get your change back and you will often find yourself fighting for it. I have known and used the place for over 2 years now and stopped going altogether.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank Frederic D
Ashburn, Virginia
“GREAT place to relax with a FLAG (beer), by yourself, or with friends; a charming little grotto hidden in Deux-Plateau!”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

It was really BEFORE Nov 2010 that I used to frequent Jardiland... more like May 2006 - Sept 2010. I was serving as a diplomat attached to the US Embassy, and was introduced to this charming little restaurant soon upon arrival. In fact, I believe that a fellow diplomat had his farewell party here at about the same time I started my tour. What a find!!! In later months, I would bring many an international visitor to dine at Jardiland. Everyone I brought felt it was a special place, with great atmosphere and wonderful local cuisine. It became a tradition to go on Fridays for British 'Fish & Chips' night! Most of my HASH (local drinking-running game) friends would go to the bar in their sweaty clothes after a run for a final 'down down' or two before heading home. It was a place where you could dress up for a romantic evening and sit at candle-lit tables in the garden, or wear shorts and a T-shirt and hang out with your buddies at the bar. I loved the decor... You felt like you were in a hidden cave, with couches and chairs in secluded nooks... The lighting added to that feeling! It was also a place where they never chased you out... unlike a restaurant in America where you're expected to get out when you are finished with your meal. This place would allow one to relax with a drink, or a cup of coffee, for as long as you desired. I could go and study for hours, and even meet my French teacher there for a lesson. I almost always stayed for dinner, since I loved the place and would want to treat myself after studying. But, there was never any pressure, and the staff became like family to me! I’m so glad that Jardiland survived the recent troubles in Cote d’Ivoire! I have great memories of a great place, and hope to visit again when next I’m in Abidjan! :)

• Visited November 2010
5 Thank pammysue44
Exeter
“If Abidjan was a desert, Jardyland would be the Aladins Cave and an Oasis!”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Knowing about Jardyland is seemingly difficult enough, finding it, is another! Discretely located in the heart of the middle class district of Deux Plateaux (part of the greater Cocody), Jardyland is nestled in a garden surrounded by large trees and shrubs. Its name derives from the fact that before it was a Bar/Restuarant, it was a Garden Centre. Its garden setting is relaxing, and inside the decor has to be seen to be believed. I've not found anything like it in the 12 years I've been travelling (frequently) to Cote d'Ivoire.

A friendly welcome from the attentive staff, a good range of drinks and cocktails from behind the bar, a small, but well priced menu with a variety of European and African dishes.

One unique feature of this Francophone West Africa restaurant is that on every friday evening, it serves beer batter Fish 'n Chips, served in English newspapers!

• Visited August 2011