“Good food but on the expensive side”
Review of La Taverne Romaine

La Taverne Romaine
Ranked #2 of 251 Restaurants in Abidjan
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The food was good. The restaurant gets busy and I had to wait for a table one lunch hour but the wait was worth it as the food served was wholesome and nourishing!! A bit on the expensive side but then most restaurants in Abidjan are pricey.

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I have been patronizing this restaurant for many years and it has yet to disappoint me. The menu is extensive and they readily assist in modifying ingredients for those who have food allergies. The service is very attentive sometimes even too attentive. It is not an inexpensive choice but good value for your money. The second floor tends to be quite hot although air con were added. The only disappointment is that they allow smoking including cigar smoking at the table and patrons are not courteous enough to refrain from forcing everyone else to second hand smoke. I noticed there are less of these characters on weekday evenings versus the weekend.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

La Taverne Romaine is a restaurant in the Plateau area of downtown Abidjan. I have only been there for lunch, but on a two-week visit I went there twice. The setting is pleasant: white tablecloths, adequate space between tables, good air conditioning. There is a printed menu but also an elaborate kist of daily specials, which the patronne wheels around for you to look at. Right after you sit down, a server brings a plate with a house terrine or pate along with some toast rounds, a crock of pickles, and a little dish of tomatoes and onions in olive oil. One time I had risotto with prawns, which was delicious, and the second time veal scallopini with mozzarella and parma ham, which was good, if unremarkable. The prices, however, are eye-watering. On each occasion my meal - no starter and no dessert - with a single glass of wine, a bottle of sparking water, and an espresso, set me back around $60. Even by Abidjan's inflated standards this is pricey indeed. Still, if you are on expense account or per diem, why not? They also do pizzas, which are good (I tried a slice from one of my lunch companions' plate) and relatively less expensive (around $16-20 for one that is too much for one person to eat unless he or she is very hungry) and they appear to sell a lot of these as takeout.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I've heard from many people that they liked La Taverne Romaine, so I decided to go and check it out. Food was ok, but nothing special. It was an expensive experience with no added value. Service was terrible the night we were there. The staff were pushing people around with their elbows or leaning on top of people while serving. This was, for sure, one of the least pleasant dinners I've had in Abidjan!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Went with my brother in law and we shared two starters.
Salmon and White fish carpaccio and a beef carpaccio. Both were excellent.
Main course he had the risotto and I had a Filed Mignon. He said his was excellent, and mine was as well.
We skipped desserts.
Food and service was very very good indeed. Pricy but similar to other good places in Abidjan.
Split in two levels and the one above was a little more quiet and less buzzing. Not very big restaurant so yes a little cramped but part of the atmosphere.
Still highly recommended.