“Good food but overpriced”
Review of Copper Canyon

Copper Canyon
Reserve with OpenTable
Copper Canyon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ocean Boulevard
Transit: SeaStreak Ferry is just two blocks from Copper Canyon and the Blue Bay Inn. A short 40 minute ride from NYC!
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I made a reservation for 5:30 on a Friday evening, when we arrived at 5:40 we were told that since we were expected at 5:30 that maybe we should sit by the bar area to eat because since we were late it may interfere with their 7:00 reservation that our table was booked for. The place was empty and I was insulted. My husband said "no, we prefer to sit at the table we reserved."
Our waiter was great, very attentive and nice. The food was good but not as great as I expected it to be for the price. The prices were crazy in my opinion. Our bill was over a hundred dollars and that was with no drinks (only water), two dinners and no dessert!!

1  Thank kcmzx10

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Here is a legit review from a person who has been here well over 40 times, probably more over the course of several years. After reading some of these bozo reviews, I figured I owe this place an honest review to help travelers decide if this is the right spot for them. I am a local and frequent the Copper Canyon. I am a big fan and it deserves a REAL review, not these 2 sentence 1 star reviews.from disgruntled people with questionable taste.

This is really a culinary experience if you enjoy bold flavors and a new twist on food. It kind of has a southwest flare, for lack of a better description. It is defintely not Mexican food.

To start, I will say that this place has one of the best steaks I have ever had. At $31.95 it is a NY strip steak seasoned to perfection with a unique blend of spices, It is well worth the average price tag for a phenomenal steak. It is cooked to your liking and when you order medium rare, you get a medium rare steak. I get this steak every single time I go, without fail. The seasoning is unique and completely balanced. It doesn't overpower the taste of the steak. It is bold yet subtle enough to let the true beef flavor take reign. Trust me on this, it is a world class steak! I have had steak all over the world, including real kobe beef whlle in Japanese steak houses (which, by the way, is worth every hundred you will spend on a single piece!) So back to the steak at hand....it is a NY strip folks. This is the way it is done and I am sorry for you filet lovers, but the NY strip is where the flavor is at. If you only eat filets and and wont cut a little fat off a steak, this place is probably not for you. This is NOT a steakhouse. They have one steak and it is done exceptionally well. Rumor has it the chef covets his special blend so much that he prepares the rub at home so people can't see what goes into it, and I believe it.

So here is where I will help people decide whether this place is right for them. Here are some factors that people may not like:

a) This place gets crowded and on a friday/sat you will have to wait for a table most likely. Even with some negative reviews here on trip advisor, they have not affected the fan club of this restaruant. This place has lines to get in and has a cult like following. I see the same people here over and over. In fact, many know me by name.

b) the price is not "expensive" as some people have said. An epic steak for 31.95 is not bad. You get nailed if you drink heavily. I like to indulge and at 11.00 a pop for a margarita, you can rack up a bill. Expensive is subjective so based on these prices, the place may not be for you. The steak is the most expensive thing on the menu so it is not bad in my eyes.

c) The place is LOUD. It gets crowded and due to the amount of people, and most likely acoustics of the room, the volume will rise. It will be loud on a friday or saturday...mark my word. If you want a romantic and quiet night, look elsewhere.

So onto some other tips for lighter fare (remember, don't go here without getting the steak if you are a NY strip lover!)...

The chips and salsa are really top notch! Defintely order this and you won't be dissapointed. It is smokey, spicy and a bargain at 2 or 3 bucks. The guacamole is really good but a rip off for what you pay. The crab cake is serious! I recommend that and the baked brie with salsa is so good that I now make it at home and strive to replicate it. It is a baked cast iron pan filled with salsa while brie is melted into the salsa. Whole garlic cloves are the icing on the cake. You put all of this melted goodness inside a warm flour tortilla. I don't even like brie but this dish is just outrageous! The arugula salad with thick chucks of bacon is my wife's favorite and at 11.00 it is a fair price. If you feel like the steak isn't going to fill you up, maybe try the charcoal grilled lamb chops with tropical salsa or the pork taco if you feel really hungry. Normally the steak, chips and salsa, and an app like the salsa/brie fill my strong appetite.

As for the service, they have excellent staff. There is one clown I know of, but every place has one or two. Ask for Fernando and he is a great guy. He will take good care of you.

In summation, this place is a great restaurant that is unlike any place I have been to. It is not for everyone but hopefully my review will help some of you decide if it is a spot you will like. Remember, GET THE STEAK! Why not 5 stars you ask? Well here is my news flash for the owner. I would have given this 5 stars but after a certain point in time the drinks went down hill. In a nut shell, they skimped out on the liquor and jacked the prices up. I like a strong drink and the margaritas now are not strong. An ounce of tequlia in a full cup of ice for 11 bucks is steep and I am sure he knows it. They are delicious and made with fresh lime juice but they need some backbone. The old bar tenders used to have a heavy hand and now with the regiment of measuring out a single ounce of tequila, I am left ordering several drinks when I used to get 2 and be fine. I still love this place but the drinks need to be stiffened. Even my friends noticed this and agreed with my opinion.

Now, please read on if you want to hear my review on tequila in particular. This place has a fine selection of Anejo, Reposado, and blancos....even the small batch extra anejo like Don Julio Real. They have dozens and dozens of tequilas. I am a tequila fan so if you like to slowly sip a fine glass of tequila, this place has you covered. I highly suggest a glass of Don Julio 1942. At 20.00 for a glass, a snifter of this will leave you wanting more! Sometimes you deserve a treat and this is my treat after a long work week. Sip it slow gents as it is an epic glass of tequila and wonderfully complex. Every few trips I will have a glass and it is like candy. I even buy a bottle or two once in a while online and it is my favorite tequila in the world.

Corvette Johnny, long live the Z06

3  Thank corvette_johnny
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Very pricey, average food and horrible service. Our server, Anthony, took our order and took our money, that's it! Not once did he check to see if our food was okay. And it was okay, nothing special, just okay. Their were only 2 other tables when we were seated so it's not like it was busy. It was a Wednesday night at 7:00pm. No excuse, just rude behavior. The atmosphere is aesthetically pleasing but the acoustics are awful. Lots of windows, bare floors, copper table tops, too many loud echo's! Would not recommend to anyone.

5  Thank kathleenbalog
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Bad Service, Food that was just average, very forgettable experience.

3  Thank katlady13
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Even though there were not many people in the place, the servers were busy talking to each other and could have cared less about us. Never came around to ask for another round of drinks. Had to flag them over to get anything, including ordering. The food was mediocre at best and for some of us cold. The atmosphere is dark and uninviting. Arrogant people!

3  Thank SueandStu2