“Really good beer”

Carton Brewing Company
More attraction details
Owner description: Brewery Tours on Wed & Thur 5-8PM, Fri 4-8PM, Sat 12-8PM, & Sun 12-5pm. The entrance to the brewery is 6. E. Washington Ave. However, please park in the lot located at 120 First Ave, Atlantic Highlands, NJ.
New York City, New York
211 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 373 helpful votes
“Really good beer”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

It's funny, the last place you'd expect a brewery would be this coastal town of Atlantic Highlands. Their beers are delicious and craft made. A fun outing in the town of Atlantic.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Sockster

Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Micro brewery”
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

A excellent source for a local microbrew. If you like sour beer Monkey Chase the Weasel I is not too be missed. The brewery tour is a fun way to meet the staff and then it's up to the tasting room

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Dave G
Middletown, New Jersey
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Jersey Shore Treasure”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

For someone who has lived in the area (and has been drinking Carton brews at local establishments) for years, I am ashamed to admit that I just went to the brewery recently. Rather than hanging my head in shame, I'm just going to boast about how great this brewery is! It. Is. Awesome. Do not miss this local gem.

Upon entering the brewery you are greeted by your enthusiastic brewery tour guides. As a craft beer fan, I can relate to their passion and excitement. They walk you through the brewing process, tell you what makes their beer taste so darn good, and give you a little interesting history on the building as well. Then it is time for the best part of all! The beer sampling! For $5 we were able to taste 6 of their beers. These are not little tiny tastes, but good sized samples. The beer is so fresh and they have such a variety of styles. They make a couple of sour beers which, at first, I did not think I was going to like, but their Something Like Sandy turned out to be my favorite of all!

I'm adding this to my list of places to bring all of my out of town friends to so they can experience the best the Jersey Shore has to offer.

Pick up a growler of Boat and then head over to one of the many fantastic restaurants in the Atlantic Highlands. What are you waiting for? Go now!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank sarah421
Washington DC, District of Columbia
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“The Definition of Craft Beer”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I grew up, and my family still lives, in the Atlantic Highlands area. Ever since I read about Carton Brewing Company and tried some of their beers on past trips, I have wanted to visit the brewery.

The brewery is in a nondescript building right of of First Avenue in Atlantic Highlands (across from the elementary school). The first floor houses the brewery and the second the tasting room. Tours start upstairs at the bar and includes a bit of the buildings history (storage space for a Methodist tent community that used to exist in Atlantic Highlands) and a lot about the Carton brewing philosophy and planned growth (yeah canned beer coming soon!).

As for their beers,for $5 you get 6 Carton "poker chips" that you can trade for samples. Overall, I liked almost everything I tasted. I can highly recommend the Boat Beer, the 077xx double IPA, and the Carton Canyon (lager). Smartly, their are signs in the tasting room for each of their beers that describe the brew and the ingredients. This allows those who have allergies, for example, to stay away from certain beers (for example, I'm allergic to peanuts, so the GORP was a no-go for me).

As Carton continues to grow and experiment, I look forward to trying more of their beer.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank dctravel
Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Our Local Brewery”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The Carton brothers have a great brewery directly across from the Elementary School - but no signs, so you need to look fot the building pictured. The door has a sign that says "Tours Start Upstairs." Inside you will find the brewery, tasting bar and a cozy gathering area with sofas, tv set and some comfy chairs. It is usually quite busy towards the late afternoon on the weekend, but definitely a wonderful spot to hang out. The bar staff can provide you with all sorts of great information about both the beers and the local area.

Visited April 2013