“Gaudy decor, OK food, overpriced.”
Review of Memphis Pigout

Memphis Pigout
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The outside of the building and the name drew us in, but we were disappointed at best. The decor is better suited to a preschool or daycare than a BBQ restaurant. The place needs to be updated, and as another reviewer posted very appropriate, a deep-down scrubbing. I ordered the shrimp stuffed flounder. The flounder was bland, but OK, but the shrimp inside it were so overcooked and rubbery it was like putting a piece of tire in your mouth. I ate about half. The baked beans were VERY good, but the salad bar had little to offer other than a multitude of vinegar-based salads. The French fries were soggy and limp and horrible. My husband had the chicken fingers and macaroni and cheese which he said were boring and flavorless. The total bill was $43.00 for two people. Won't recommend to others...were very disappointed.

There are newer reviews for Memphis Pigout

Reviewed August 18, 2013

First time at Memphis. Service was good, food was good. Place is dirty. The Board of Health needs to make a visit. We had a misunderstanding about our a Restaurant.Com coupon. Server explained what the issue was, we asked to speak to the owner. The owner gave us the attitude that he did not give a care. As I told him "our first time here, also our last time here"

5  Thank cbenedict51
Reviewed June 11, 2013

OK I have now gone three times and have been 3 X's disappointed. The place needs a good scrubbing. The owners are sweet people who have put their heart into the place but it needs an update all around. Decor and food are lackluster at best. I agree that the sauce is good but the it just can't carry the Maybe Gorden Ramsey can tell them how they are missing the boat.

We started with the BBQ Shimp kabob opting not to have the fried chicken fingers, fried cheese things or the New England Clam Chowder. The shrimp was overcooked and not anything special. The chicken and pork chop entrees were OK but the salad was dull, kinda limp and pretty sad. The best thing on the plate was the greens and the sauce had a hint of what I was hoping for.

The best think I can say is that the people are nice, the flowers outside are lovely and the place made me crave some real Memphis Q - like Corky's BBQ Smoked Turkey, mac an cheese, pulled pork shoulder, or Central Ave's Rib Slab and hot BBQ wings with Onion Rings!

2  Thank cosmic_beancounter
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I love Memphis Pigout! I tried it a few years ago as a recommendation and when I first walked into the restaurant I wanted to walk right out. The decor is very odd and very old. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the food and service. The staff is very nice and friendly. And the food in my opinion is amazing. I always get the pulled pork sandwich with fries and baked beans. The fries are awesome and you can tell they're home made. The BBQ sauce is to die for. I am a loyal diner here and will continue to be so long as the food remains delicious! In fact, I haven't been by in a while and have been craving it. Would not recommend the dessert, though.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I have had the good fortune of visiting Memphis, TN quite a few times (as we had family there) and enjoying Southern style slow-cooked, smoked barbecue on many occasions- the BEST. We are still on the look-out for something even remotely similar to that flavor here, in NJ. We were excited when we went to the "Memphis Pig-out", hoping that maybe, just maybe, our search was over. Unfortunately, we were disappointed, again. They claim their BBQ is smoked, but it cannot even touch the quality of smoked, slow-cooked Memphis BBQ, not by a long shot. We tried both the ribs and the chicken. They were edible but not what we came for. The salad bar was limited but okay. The place struck us as pretty dirty however. The decor was tacky. Service was not bad but we are not going back as the food was extremely disappointing. I guess for somebody who has never had southern style BBQ, it will be passable, hence I imagine the good reviews on TA for this restaurant.
As an avid gardener, I have to say though- during the summer months- the flowers in front of the place are spectacular! :)