“Disappointing hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in Atlantic City
Westchester, New York
“Disappointing hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

While the people were friendly, the restaurants were outstanding, and the casino comfortable, the hotel as a hotel was truly disappointing. I've gotten more amenities at a Motel 6. No movies, free or pay-per-view, no hotel book listing amenities (just a sign on the door warning us not to go in the pool alone. Where is the pool? No idea and no way to find out). If you ask for a room service menu, they'll send one to your room, but the pickings were slim (no crudite/veggies, for example). Blanket was thinner than a sheet of Bounty. Coffee maker in room had no tea, just styrofoam cups. No comfy chairs to sit on and read or watch tv. No shampoo bottle (just a spiggot on shower wall to get some), no conditioner, tiny, thin towels - and a warning that we'd be charged if we took home any amenities. I'd like to find some to take home! Sparse, out dated, disappointing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank segalfam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at the other casino hotels in AC but this was my first at Trump. I loved the room, it was spacious and the decor was lovely. I also slept very comfortably on the bed. We got all the requests we wanted with no problems. Check in and check out was a breeze. The lines weren't long and annoying. All of the staff were friendly. The pool was awesome. As a guest, we didn't have to pay to use it and I also brought in 5 other people with no charge. Its also right in the middle of all the action so the location was perfect if you want to walk the boardwalk. Overall I had a great experience here and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Meena923
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was to be our 3rd stay at this hotel. On the way from NY to AC, called and reserved a room in the Chairmans Tower. My daughter loves these rooms. Arrived at the hotel at 9pm. Immediately told the computer system was down, but feel free to check our bags with bell services so that we can start enjoying the casino immediately. Um... hello? What was I supposed to do with my 16 year old daughter?

No clue when the system would be back up. Finally decided to grab a bite to eat... only to find out that Plates was closing in 15 minutes, oh and wait... because the computers were down, we would have to pay cash. Ordered grilled cheese sandwiches (they were excellent), disappointed to see the edamame has been removed from the menu.

At 10:30, we headed back downstairs, with the understanding, if we couldn't check in, we were going elsewhere. They had FINALLY decided to start checking people in the "old-fashioned' way, manually, except, because I had booked after 5pm, they wouldn't be able to check me in. I was done. They offered to contact Trump Plaza for me. No thank you. Left my car at the Taj, walked across the street to Resorts. After reading all the bad reviews of Resorts on this site, I was wary. No reason to be. The room was great!

Went back to Taj this morning to pick up my car (had parked valet). Had forgotten to bring my Trump One Card, but wasn't able to get a new one, since their system was down, and they weren't yet open this morning. So I was going to have to pay $15 for parking. I laughed, and said, after the nightmare of last, the least they could do was comp the parking. They knocked it down to $5, and I was out of there.

The kicker is - I asked around this morning, and was told the system: a. only came back up this morning, and b. was a scheduled take down of the system...

I was surprised by how rude the front desk staff was. Had never experienced this before.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Littleskatersmom

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

So, I've been spoiled these past many years staying at the Borgata or Water Club, but when we wanted to go down as two couples, we thought our wives might prefer to be on the Boardwalk for ease of taking a nice walk or getting around. A mistake.
While the Chairman Tower rooms had beautiful views, and were of good size, they simply skimped on the amenities making the hotel tower fall to average status. From a dirty bed cover to styrofoam cups and smallish insufficient towels and an odd terse sign in the room warning against leaving with one of their less than desirable amenities. If you absolutely have to stay on the boardwalk, this will do fine (and certainly better than their regular rooms), but the Borgata is SO much of a huge step up.

Re the Spa - the wives loved their massage, but said the surroundings were abysmal and not welcoming - bright flourescent lights in a waiting room with a too loud tv.

The Casino - on a Friday afternoon in early May was empty, EMPTY. More likely a sign of our economic times. The poker room wasn't doing too well either.

one bright note - Il Mulino New York is still a great representation of the NYC original. I could eat there every night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gelkind
Brooklyn NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is my second time staying at Trump Taj Mahal. I am a travel agent and do a decent amount of traveling. My wife and I decided to get away from the NYC every few months and Atlantic City seems to offer what we like - shopping, good food, casino, ocean front, and no kids for a few days :)

Overall, because of the Chairmain Tower rooms that are offered at decent prices is one of the main reasons we stay here. This time I paid extra for a Grand Suite, which was not worth it at all. It is huge but outdated room that just turns you off. We downgraded back to the chairman tower room and couldnt be more happier.

What to like about this property:

- Chairman Tower is a new building with nice and clean room. If you are not a smoker, those are the rooms you want. When you go past the elevators going to the Taj Tower, its like you are in a new world.
- The price of the Chairman Tower rooms is much better then rooms at Revel or Borgata.
- Although the Taj is somewhat at the end of the boardwalk, its still better then the two hotel mentioned above.
- We dined at Roberts Steak house and Il Mulino NY and both places are simply amazing.

What Trump should improve on:

- I think that sooner rather then later this will be a reason why i will stop coming here. The air quality at the main part of the place is bad. You get hit with the smoke smell as soon as you walk in. They have the smoking areas all over the place outside of the poker room. But buy the time you get to the room you inhaled a few years worth of that smell. The Caesars hotel is just as old but there is no such smell. I value my health and my experience and this is a concern.

- The staff here is though somewhat polite, they are not very helpful. Both times we were there during a somewhat empty hotel, yet they dont try to make you feel wanted at the hotel. As mentioned earlier, i booked a Grand Suite to have a different experience. But when we didn't like it and asked to be downgraded to Chairman Tower regular king room, the first thing i was told is that we will not refund the difference. I said thats fine. The front desk person can't do anything without approval, so she went to the back, comes back and tells me, that for a Suite at the Chairman tower it will be an additional $50 a night. I said that i didn't ask for that and just want the regular CT room. She again stated that there is no refund of the difference. And i did ask for a slightly later checkout and they were not flexible either. By the way, to better understand, i could have added an additional night at CT for regular room and still pay less then what i paid for the Grand Suite. You think since they did take my money and know the price differences they should be more accommodating.

- The Trump One comp structure is somewhat weak. You don't earn allot but i seen plenty of people learning to go around it. In poker room, I see people clock in and in my 6-8 hours at the table they played for may be an hour. Often they play a few hands, leave for an hour. comeback for a few hands and leave again. Saw that with a number of people and all them have the CHAIRMAN card. Shows how they earned it.

Overall, because of the nice rooms at the Chairman Tower, We plan to go there at least once more. But we are planning to stay at another place to compare the rooms and if that works, will find another property to stay and spend our money at if Trump will not listen to people and improve.

Room Tip: Stay only at the Chairman Tower. Higher floor is always better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bookwithus
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

When you walk in the Taj you smell the collective cigarette smoke for the last 30 years. The lobby is drab as is the casino as is the entire city. The rooms in the chairman tower are the nicest part of the hotel. There is a Starbucks and their take out bakery shop makes the best muffins in town. If on business forget the fitness center as only open 10am-6pm. AC is definetly Las Begas ugly step child.

Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Nailcutter
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed for an overnight at the Trump Taj Mahal to participate in a half marathon going on that weekend on the boardwalk.

Overall, the stay was fine. There was nothing remarkable, but the room was clean enough. The casino still reeks of cigarette smoke, but you come to expect that in Atlantic City. The rooms could use a bit of a facelift (like they still use old fashioned comforters, yuck), but again it was clean enough.

It's in a good location on the boardwalk, although I wasn't grabbed by any of the dining options. It seemed to be either upscale places or food court (Sbarros-type food court) options. We went next door to Revel to eat.

If you're not planning on spending time in the room and are just looking for a reasonable rate and clean bed, this does the trick.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends