“Good value at the shore”

Tropicana Atlantic City
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Delaware
“Good value at the shore”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I stayed at the Tropicana for a Thursday night and enjoyed my stay. I felt the value was excellent for a beachfront hotel during mid-season. The rate was $85 plus taxes (they may quote $75, but they tack on a $10 resort fee). Parking was just $5. Weekend rates are going to be significantly higher. My room was clean, roomy, and quiet.

I almost didn't book at this hotel based on several terrible reviews on Tripadvisor, but my experience was very good. The only reason I did not give this place a 5 was my check in was delayed due to computer problems at the front desk. That didn't bother me much - I just went to the beach for a while and checked in later. I am not much a gambler, so I can't really comment on the casino (looked typical). There was a good selection of restaurants on site or within a short walk. The best part for me was easy access to the beach and the boardwalk.

I usually go to Wildwood and you can also find good value there, but I would not hesitate to go back to AC and the Trop is good value.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
prebovic, Representative at Tropicana Atlantic City, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
BobGDelaware,

Thank you for visiting Tropicana and for taking the time to share your review. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and we would love to have you back.

I wish you and your family a very happy summer season!

Tropicana Representative

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,202)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Terrebonne, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Except for one night when the locators came back from the casino late at night. They were talking loud and we think they had swallow a drink or two...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We stayed at the Tropicana, on a Friday night and this was the first time we stayed there and definitely the last! We were greeted with a long line at checkout. We also stayed in the West Tower, which our room was spacious and nice and clean. Customer service is my major problem, and the lack of response from the managers. I called the front desk for two reasons, 1. I tried to buy a soda from the vending machine and lost 2.00 and they told me its "not their problem, go call the 800 number on the machine". Than my fiance called and stated that there were no batteries in the remote. We waited for a good 1/2 hour for someone to come to the room, but noone came, so we decided to go have dinner, so we wouldn't miss our reservations. We come back, and the TV is on! We weren't sure if someone broke in the room or not? We realized that housekeeping/maintenance came in the room and put the batteries in the remote when we were out. I called the front desk the next day, and they were like, oh yeah, you should have put a "do not disturb sign up if you didn't want anyone to enter". What? AND specifically, there were no do not disturb signs!! Anywhere on the floor, because when we walked down the hall Saturday morning, we were looking and laughing to our selves at the doors where people, made "do not disturb signs". As for checking out, check out time is 11:00am. Don't even TRY to check out that time, because there is no way you will get an elevator. We had to wait over 40 minutes to get on a overcrowded elevator. Just a joke. And this is a hotel where a lot of teenagers/young adults must party since they were in the hallway till about 3am drinking/smoking. Our shower the next day smelt like an ashtray. Of course, management dosen't care, they don't want to hear it. When you call and complain, a. they make it sound like its your fault and b. I'm tired of hearing, we are sorry your stay wasn't pleasurable, but have a nice summer. Also, their fiesta buffett, both my fiance, myself and my gf who was staying at another hotel was sick the next two days after eating there, stay away from it. Too much money, terrible selection, terrible staff and bad food. Corky's was great for breakfast though!!!! No, I would definitely not recommend anyone staying at this hotel. I'm sorry but we paid over 200.00 for this room, gambled a good amount of money, and to me, it was a joke!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
prebovic, Representative at Tropicana Atlantic City, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
Dear brooklynmom45,

On the behalf of everyone here, I regret to hear of your dissatisfaction. Your comments have not gone unnoticed and they have been forwarded to our dedicated team of managers for further review. Customer satisfaction is our top priority and your feedback will most certainly be put to good use.

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Reviewed July 23, 2010

Rooms were overall pretty good. Clean except for the fact that a non smoking room smelled like ciggarettes. There are however a lot of problems with the hotel.
1. Good luck finding the correct lobby/check in because the initial line you run into is not actually the right one.
2. I got a room in the west tower, so I can only comment on that. From that perspective be prepared to walk for 20 minutes to get from the boardwalk to your elevator bank.
3. Be prepared to wait 35 minutes to get on an elevator. Average wait time on a thursday was 25 minutes.
4. Finally this casino is really a distance from any other casino. So if you are planning on casino hopping be prepared to trek to the other side of the boardwalk.

Side note: When I finally found the lobby registration, no thanks to the 3 employees I asked who simply fretted and gestured in a vague direction, the front desk employee was rude. When I inquired about how much an extra night would be she told me $230 and without evening waiting for my answer recommended I try the econolodge next door because that would probably be in my price range.

Never going back, ever and I will make sure no one I know every does.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank aabdall4
Thank you for sharing your review with us, aabdall4.

Your comments have been passed on to our management team, because we take customer service very seriously.

Please enjoy the rest of your summer.

Best regards,
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We visited Tropicana from June 14th to the 16th for my 31th birthday. This was our 2nd trip to Tropicana. In the previous trip we stayed in a junior suite in the south tower so I wanted to stay in that tower again. Because after reading other reviews that tower seems to be the best. We use an email special. I think it was for $59. While making the reservations I stated I want a king bed in the south tower with a beach view.

When we arrived from check in a little after 5pm there was a long line however it did move fast. Once at the counter the clerk check to see if they had any rooms we wanted available. She found one and in the south tower. But to be upgrade to that room it was a $20 fee added on. Which we paid because we know what the south tower rooms look like and we like them. Two things bothered me. One it took forever for her to check us in, the lady was hot and stopped to go get a lil fan to put in front of her to cool her off. But she was a nice older woman so we dealt with it. The second thing is our room was on the 6th floor. And the curtains weren't open when we got in. the reason being is that the view was horrible. I did get the king bed in the south tower but no beach view. The view was of some roof. So I kept the curtains closes the whole trip.

the room itself was big, nice, enough space for both of us and our stuff, plus it seem like it had alil extra unused space between the bed on one side of the room. The bathroom is clean, clean rags/towels and stock with Tropicana toiletries. The room had a coffee pot and and mini fridge which was very helpfully in keep our beer, water, soda, and wine cold. The safe was locked when we got in the room so we call down and someone was sent up to unlock to for us. The total time it took I can not say because after 30 or so minutes we left and went to enjoy the casino and boardwalk.

If you are a diamond club or in card member check the machine for havana passport deals. We got a deal for A Dam good Sports bar buy one entree get one free. The burgers and fries we ate from there were good and way better than those at Hooters.

Overall this trip was a good trip. We won some money at the slots and Blackjack table, had some good burgers, went on the beach and boardwalk. The table dealers were nice and funny. The only downfall was the view from our room.

Tropicana is our hotel of choice to stay when visiting Atlantic City.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Happy belated birthday, Sunshine-bknyc!

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back again soon.

Have a great summer!

Newton NJ
Reviewed July 22, 2010

This is Jeff's and my 6th stay and although we usually stay 2 days, we spent a week's vacation here this time. I must, simply MUST, say that we have NEVER, EVER had any problem whatsoever with the Tropicana. We are not high rollers and have been upgraded when requested, our rooms always comfy and clean. The staff so very polite and helpful and the restaurants are phenomenal! I highly recommend Corky's for the best BBQ (sold on QVC) and A Dam Good Sports Bar for the best BLT. Burgers? What can beat Hooters? (I was hesitant about Hooters but was most pleasantly surprised. The girls so nice and the food reasonable and fabulous). If you use the coupons provided at check in - you will save so much money. I must say, we usually come out a bit ahead with the gambling by the time we leave, but this time we made out like a bandit! Jeff joined in on his first poker tournament, I did a bit of shopping. The pool was clean and refreshing and that Grilled Chicken Ceasar Salad was more than enough for two and so delicious! The tuna on bioche roll tasted gourmet and when my husband got the turkey and cheese, there must have been about a half pound of turkey on it! Valet service well worth the price (only $5.00 with Diamond Club card). Specifically, Carmine at front desk (evening) and Stephanie (secretary on days) very helpful, friendly and polite! Give it a try, please!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
TheGoodLifeTogether,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. As always, it is a pleasure to have you as our guest. We look forward to your next visit.

Thanks again!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Pick another hotel to stay. Rooms and hallways are clean. It is also a place where young drunks hang out.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
We regret to hear of your discontent, cynthia60795.