“Great Hotel & Casino”

Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Great Hotel & Casino”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Just got back from this hotel, we had read the reviews and were ready to cancel. But we decided to give it a try. It was great! Didn't need to leave the hotel. There was a long line to check in, so get there early if possible. The room was great, we paid extra & got a king room in the Havanna Tower. Our room was 5403, it had a view of the ocean & was in the corner, so was oversized. It was just off the elevator, but was a quiet location. Didn't see anyone else on our floor. Hotel & Casino were busy The elevators where almost always there when we pushed the button. The room was clean, bed was comfy. We had two fantastic dinners at The Palm & IL Verdi. We found everyone helpful & pleasant. The casino dealers were even helpful, if you wanted. We found Evelyn & Charles at the blackjack tables great. We would stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
prebovic, Representative at Tropicana Atlantic City, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Diamondkathy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we would love to have you back again. Have a fantastic summer!

Thanks again,
Tropicana Representative

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,193)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My husband and I went down for a couple of days June 24 & 25th 2010. It started by having a long wait to check in and almost missed our dinner reservations. I was very restless when it came time for bed and I didn't know why. I couldn't sleep and felt itchy. In the morning I got up and went into the bathroom only to find a roach in my bathroom! Me being the type to make trouble, I told my husband and we killed it and that was it. The second night in the room I couldn't sleep again. My husband and I checked out at 8:30 the next morning. As we were leaving our room, in the hallway were cigarette butts on the floor! And we don't smoke! Gross!!

As we were driving home, I noticed I had a weird bump on my left arm. Didn't think too much about it, thought maybe a mosquito bite or whatever. We live about an hour away from AC, so during the drive home I come to notice I had more bumps on my arms, leg and on my face. Again, thought it was weird, but didn't think to have them checked. The next thing I know my friend tells me that she was told by her friend that worked for the Tropicana that they had a bed bug infestation!! I immediately googled the Tropicana and sure enough there were other reports of bed bugs, recently. I then looked up pictures of bed bug bites and sure enough, they look exactly like what I have on me. Then I realized that my husband had complained of these weird bumps on his legs that he scratched and they became infected in a weird way. It is now about 2 1/2 wks since we were there and I still have the bumps!!

I will never ever stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
prebovic, Representative at Tropicana Atlantic City, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
Dear FreakedOut66,

We take every claim very seriously, so these comments were immediately forwarded to our team of managers. On the behalf of everyone here, I truly regret to hear of your discontent. We will reach out to you privately to research this claim on your behalf.

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Rochester, New York
Reviewed July 13, 2010

On july 5th, 2010 I was visiting My sister inlaw in AC. She lives there. She was the HR director for the Claridge for 15 years. I am a Engineering Manager. I mentioning this only to preface my comment with I am familiar with Gaming and the Casino's. We started out for an exciting evening at the Tropicana. I had $200.00 to spend, my wife had a $100.00 and my Ssiter inlaw and her friend, who is a contractor was ready to enjoy our evening. first I gor my Diamond card. went to the first Poker video machine, put in $20.00. the machine flashed and the games was over without playing a hand. apon calling the slots manager, she imediatly implied I was lying about the game malfunctioning. the nest 1.5 hours where spent explaing the icident to the gaming commisioner. the gaming commisioner recommended to the slots manager to provid dinners comps to reconcilethe issue, at first I said that wasn't necessary, but reconsiderd after realizing we just wasted 2 hours of our evening. after the comminioner left, the slots manager chhose not to give the dinner comps. at the end of the ordeal we choose to go to the Irish Pub in the Quarter, have a nice dinner and go home. I have a good job and $20.00 was not the issue. the issue the attitude of the Slots Manager, that can be confirmed be the Gaming commisioner. So at the end of the night for the sake of $20.00 the Tropicana potentaily lost $300.00 to $600.00 all for the sake of the Slots choosing to not represent the Tropicana in the flavor that the the Tropicana stand for. I know this is going to the Hotel, the Casino doesn't have a site to post a comment

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank gfolwell
Gfolwell,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your comments have not gone unnoticed. They have been forwarded to our team of managers, because customer satisfaction is our top priority.

I wish you and your family a very happy summer season.

Regards,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 12, 2010

DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR ROOM UNATTENDED! Housekeeping attempted to enter our room while we were still in the room, EVEN with the DO NOT DISTURB card placed in the lock! Then, when we attempted to use the safe that day, it was not functioning. We notified security, and were told that it needed reset, and that it would be "awhile" before they would be up. They told us that we could leave, that we did not need to be present. We took our valuables with us, and left. We left the DO NOT DISTURB card in the lock. When we returned, the DND card was missing, and upon entering our room, ne noted only 1 bed was made-up. Odd in that we didn't want housekeeping in our room, but obviously "someone" had let themselves in..... Missing was my Citizen's diamond watch. I called and filed a report, and what was the TROPICANA's RESPONSE???? "Legally there is NOTHING we can do!" Apparently, the in room safes mean nothing! ONLY if you lock your belongings in the safe at the front desk, are your valuables covered legally. BEWARE!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chefmate5
New Jersey
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I've stayed at hundreds of hotels all over the world and I can say without reservation this is one of the worst I ever experienced. I'll spare you all the gory details (filthy halls, cigarette butts everywhere, people urinating in the hallway) I live in NJ and I will get on a plane and go to Vegas before I set foot in the Tropicana ever again. They know how to treat guests in Vegas, they know how to clean the sheets on the bed, the garbage in the hallways. Come to think of it I've never seen garbage ever at Wynn or Encore. This place is a dump! I can't say it any plainer, Steer Clear my friends!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
prebovic, Representative at Tropicana Atlantic City, responded to this review, July 9, 2010
Thank you for sharing your candid feedback with us, jglaserjr. Your comments have not gone unnoticed and have been forwarded to our team of managers for further review. Your satisfaction is our top priority and I sincerely regret to hear of your disappointment.

Please have a very enjoyable summer season.

Regards,
Paramus
Reviewed July 6, 2010

On Friday, July 2nd, 2010 at around 3:30PM I arrived at the Tropicana Resort/Casino. I was immediately amazed at how expansive the casino was. This was not only my first time at the Tropicana, but it was also my first time in Atlantic City and I was really looking forward to having a wonderful experience. After checking in and talking with the friendly staff, my friend and I went up to our hotel room. The room seemed clean and tidy, but little did we know this was only what it appeared to be and I’d like to inform you of what occurred.

We enjoyed the casino, the fireworks, dinner and the night club. At around 2:15AM we headed back to our room to get ready to go to sleep. My friend proceeded to get into her bed and felt that something was damp. When she looked down at the bed sheets, it was obvious that there was a huge, wet and vile smelling urine puddle. Needless to say, we were absolutely appalled and disgusted by this sight. How did that go unnoticed by the Housekeeping staff? Does this mean the sheets were NEVER changed before we arrived? We were completely outraged and traumatized.

We went to call #0 on our room phone and the phone line just kept ringing and ringing and no one was picking up. This was not exactly an issue we could tend to the next morning and therefore we had no choice but to walk all the way down to the Hotel Lobby at 2:45AM to report the problem. We met with a young woman and she said she would call Housekeeping to take care of the problem. Feeling assured the problem would be fixed immediately after talking to her, we went back up to the room to wait. After waiting 15 minutes with no response, I tried calling #0 again and somebody finally answered. I was then transferred to the Housekeeping Manager who said that someone would be up soon. At 3:15AM, a man and woman on staff came into the room to inspect the bed. They took all the sheets off, and noticed that the urine had seeped through to the mattress. I was even MORE disgusted and outraged at this sight. HOW does something like this go unnoticed by their STAFF? Rather than just offering us a new room to make us happy and comfortable, we had to, yet again, wait for a housekeeping member to come to dispose of the sheets and put on a plastic covering etc. It was quite annoying that we kept being “passed off” to the next person in hopes that they would fix the problem. This meant we had to wait in the room with the bare mattress with the urine stain and the sheets on the floor of our room. We were extremely exhausted, disgusted, and wanted to go to bed.

At 3:30AM, the housekeeper arrived, put on a plastic sheet and then changed the sheets. Although she did a great job doing this as quickly as she could, we were quite angry at the fact that all this time had elapsed and we were still disgusted. Also, there was very little apology from any of the staff members. This took a total of almost TWO HOURS. We could not go to sleep until after 4:00AM NOT by choice and we had to still check out by 11:00AM the next day. The room still had a slight smell of urine since it was exposed to the elements for a long period of time. Absolutely disgusting!

This truly ruined my experience at the Tropicana. This was completely UNSANITARY and was not to be expected, NOR should one EVER expect this to happen at a hotel that costs over $200 for one night for only two guests. Why wasn’t a new room or some type of compensation offered during this problem? I strongly believe that this was a serious matter and should have been handled differently and immediately by the Tropicana Resort Staff. This should NOT have even happened.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Dear jerseygirltoac,

On the behalf of everyone here, I genuinely regret to hear of your dissatisfaction. After reading your comments, I forwarded them to our team of managers for a more detailed review. I will also reach out to you privately to get more information regarding your stay and I will research these claims on your behalf. Customer satisfaction is our top priority.

new york
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I only stayed a night, which I had stayed longer. Checking in and getting to the room took alot of time. There was a long line at check in and our room was a far walk to the other side of the hotel. It's very confusing path to get to our hotel room. It's a great hotel for families with an IMAX theater, some stores, and restaurants. However I didn't have any luck at the casino.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit, cheapowned! It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to your next stay with us.

We hope you and your family have a great summer!

Best Regards,