“Front desk courtesy stinks”

Tropicana Atlantic City
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Trinidad
Reviewed November 15, 2004

After my tiring journey to get to the Tropicana in very cold weather. I was greated at check in by a very uncouth,not at all charming young lady. Who never even said "welcome to the the Tropicana" all she said was "what name is it booked under?" and "your room has two beds and we are full" and blamed the manager. Although I was booked and confirmed online. She did not even bother to look at the copy of my online confirmation.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Tropicana Atlantic City

Reviewed November 8, 2004

We stayed at the Tropicana in Atlantic City for a weekend in August. The rooms were about $100 per night. We were under the impression that the new tower was supposed to be finished by the time we got there. However, construction was delayed and we ended up having to put up with the old run down rooms. To try to get an upgraded and renovated room, I tipped the front desk clerk a $20 bill. She said she found an upgrade for me and took my $20. When I got to my room, it was just a basic old room with stains on the sheets, carpet, and no view. Actually, we had a view of the dumpster and alley in the back of the building from our window. She swindled me! I called the guest services to complain, but the front desk clerk LIED and said she didn't get a tip from me and didn't offer me an upgraded room! The hotel supervisor basically said I was SOL. I couldn't believe it! They did not offer to help me at all. I would never stay here again and highly advise everyone else to stay away too!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed October 15, 2004

No coffeepot, No hairdryer, No shampoo, lotion, etc. The show was cancelled due to the strike, so they re-imbursed us with a coupon for one free drink (makes you wonder just how good the show must have been)

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 13, 2004

I've just returned from my first overnight stay at The Trop in A.C. The great news is that I got lucky with some loose slots. I won over $200 in about 40 minutes. OK, now the bad news: While it was nice to be comped, it felt awful to be there during the strike. I don't have the convenience of rescheduling vacation days at the last minute (I only learned of the strike a week before my stay), so I kept the reservation. Thus, I was disappointed with, but understood the reasons for, the following minor inconveniences: no room service; noise from striking workers on whistles and banging on cans below (this awakened me even though the room was more than 20 stories above the boardwalk); and no late check-out. I had to be out by noon, when I had hoped to sleep late (hah!) and do a late check-out at 2 p.m. Don't get me wrong; I'm not a pampered person. However, I had planned for my first stay at The Trop to be comfortable and special, as I have been dealing with a lot of stress on the job and deteriorating health as a result. The food served at the Beachfront Buffet, one of many restaurants at many of the strike-affected A.C. casinos, was just OK. What dampened my Beachfront Buffet experience -- and I suppose this only happened because there is a strike going on -- was that the waitstaff repeatedly huddled and whispered in corners and had nervous countenances. They were missing the confident smiles and courteous customer service that I am accustomed to seeing in restaurants at three- and four-star hotels in Atlantic City. And shame on the supervisor/executive who had the audacity to hire a waiter in the midst of us diners while we were trying to eat in peace. The only reason I ate there was I arrived very late at night, and there were few healthy food options immediately outside The Trop after 10 p.m. On the brighter side, the BBQ at Corky's the next day was sublime. The lesson I have learned is that if there's ever a strike at any hotel (in any city) where I have made advance reservations, I will just have to cancel the room and thereby cancel my vacation. In terms of A.C., that goes for comped reservations as well. I sorely missed the high level of hospitality and skill that I can only assume the striking workers possess. ... Yeah, I won some cash at The Trop, but the dismal hospitality was Strike 1. I'd like to return -- just not during a strike.

• Stayed: November 2004
4  Thank gogoboots_in_white
Stamford, CT
Reviewed October 3, 2004

Stayed in the North Tower at the Tropicana Sept. 23. The small room was a dump - worn out, dirty, outdated, 2 inches of dust and filth under the bed, discusting bathtub. There was a trail of ants eating something on the wall in the hallway. We did not feel save and comfortable in this hotel. A fat healthy looking mouse was scurrying around the buffet restaurant floor about 3:00 AM. The manager and waiter offered to move our table and pretended like nothing was wrong to prevent hysteria I assume. The restaurant was practically empty anyway and those of us who saw the mouse left immediately with our tables full of food. I only stayed at the Trop because the room was a comp. I will not stay there again unless they build a new tower of hotel rooms. I certainly won't eat there ever again. Casino has plenty of slot machines and a real poker room. Top of the Trop has a nice ocean view for a cocktail.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed September 28, 2004

Stayed at Tropicana this past weekend and had a blast. Our check-in was was fast and our room very nice. Found the staff to be very friendly and efficient. My girlfriends and I really enjoyed ourselves.

Upon check out, we encountered a lengthy line that was moving quickly. We noticed a non uniformed man also helping guests behind the desk. When it was our turn to check-out, this man called us over from the check-out line and assisted us with checking out. This man turned out to be the Hotel Manager. His name was Don. We could not believe that the Hotel Manager was actually checking people out. Don was pleasant and obviously enjoyed what he was doing. Great way to end our stay.

My girlfriends and I will be back.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 27, 2004

Hotel OK - clean and large rooms although our "ocean view" was more of a view of the next door hotel's roof top with only a restricted view of the ocean. hotel decor is not great - I think last decorated in the 80's by the style. also, for a hotel of this price amazed that no irons or hairdryers in the room and also very few "complimentaries."

Still, we got a good price ($117 dollars for the room mid week) which included 2 show tickets so value for money wise OK

3  Thank yorkglobe