5,379 results
All reviews imax theater cuba libre pf changs havana towers fiesta buffet boogie nights outdoor pool comedy club irish pub ocean view mid week corner room slot machines self parking hotel and casino table games quarter
Reviewed March 24, 2009

My fiance and I went down for a Friday night stay at the Trop to celebrate his birthday. It was my second time in AC (and at the Trop) and my first time staying in one of the casinos. We knew what we were getting into ahead of time, so we did enjoy ourselves. But for older travelers or people who have never been to AC, you should do some homework before you go.

1. Don't park in the Quarter garage (left side of the entrance) if you're staying overnight. Park in the garage to the right so you don't have to walk as far to get to the lobby.

2. We stayed in West Tower and had a very long wait for the elevators every time we wanted to go up or down. You'll have to wait even longer if you're like me and don't want to ride the elevator with someone who's had too much to drink and looks like they're about to lose their lunch.

3. Drink service on the casino floor was good, but both this time and the last time I was at the Trop, the dealers and pit bosses were pretty rude. After playing a few hands of Let It Ride, we got a new dealer who suddenly disliked the way we motioned to take our bets back (first dealer preferred a sideways finger motion, second dealer preferred an up and down finger motion). Other dealers were less than helpful with questions. We found that the dealers and pit bosses at Bally's were much friendlier and willing to explain things.

4. If you're staying at the hotel, definitely join the Diamond Club. A Friday or Saturday night stay gets you $25 free slot cash (I believe it's $10 or $15 if you stay during the week) and a coupon for free parking.

5. The room was comfortable and we didn't have any problems with noise from adjacent rooms or the hallway. It could have been cleaner, but we were happy to have a refrigerator. No alarm clock, no floor towel for the shower, but for one night it wasn't a problem. Check-out time is listed as 11 am, but we were told we would only be charged extra for checking out after 12 pm.

6. Rates are much higher on a Saturday than on a Friday night, so if your travel distance isn't too far, I recommend what we did. Go down on Friday afternoon or evening, check out Saturday morning, and check your bags with bell services until you're ready to leave. The Trop is an easy walk down the boardwalk to the Hilton, Caesar's, Trump, and Bally's, so check out some of the other casinos.

7. Aside from the low price, we picked the Trop because there are so many restaurants and food options. We had dinner at Carmine's last time we were down and enjoyed it, but there really is something for everyone.

1  Thank IceGurlie
Reviewed March 23, 2009

1 Long wait to check in.
2 Long walk to Island Tower elevators.
3 Carpets were filthy
4 Bedspread had stains. ?????
5 Buffet was expensive for lousy food
6 Prepaid description included "service fees", but when checking out, had to pay
$8.16 per day for "resort fees"
7 Odors in bathroom.
NEVER AGAIN!!

Reviewed March 23, 2009

I stayed at the Tropicana for a conference recently. I found it be immense, but the signs get you pointed in the right direction once you get used to it. At first glance, it's overwhelming (I found the same thing in any Las Vegas hotels as well....they're just gigantic)
My room was located in the South Tower and was on a non-smoking floor, but still smelled a little like smoke when I first arrived. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was comfortable.
The restaurants are very good - I especially liked the heros at Carmines (enough for 2 meals easily). They serve family style, so if you go alone, you're going to get a sandwich. They don't have single size servings of anything.
The location is right on the boardwalk and handy to the other hotels within an easy walk.
My only complaint is that there are no automatic doors. When I was lugging around all my luggage, I had to battle with every door I came to!
I didn't gamble, but the casino looked fairly standard. There's plenty to do inside and out of the hotel. Wear comfy shoes.
Parking is $5. A plus.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2009

I just got back from an overnight stay and I decided that I LOVE the Tropicana. Upon arrival, I easily self parked and checked in. When I checked in, the lady upgraded my room to a suite for FREE because my boyfriend and I "look like a nice, young couple". Needless to say, the room was AMAZING. We had a king bed, HUGE jacuzzi tub next to the bed, a big bathroom with a shower and a little living room. The room had two TV's and a view of the ocean. We even asked for a no charge late checkout at 12. It was awesome. I also love the casino....there are plenty of penny slots and I got to use 15 dollars of EZ promo money from my Diamond card that was given to me for staying at the Trop. We stayed in the West Tower.

Try booking the room for during the week. We stayed Wednesday to Thursday because the room rates were cheaper. The suite happened to be available because it was midweek and no one booked it so the lady gave it to us.We were so excited and happy, we didn't even care that we lost some money. A GREAT stay!

2  Thank el1187
Reviewed March 17, 2009

We stayed at the Trop March 9-13, 2009. We were worried, due to some reviews that we might be in for trouble. But we were able to book for $32/night, so we had to take it. It ended up being a super stay! Checkin took less than 3 minutes. Was given a room on the 7th floor in the North Tower. Room looked BRAND NEW. 100% clean, nothing old. TV was a bit small, but worked. The jetted shower/tub had a problem. It tended to go from just right to very hot, then back again (over and over) - I got a bit crispy from that problem! No noise from rooms on left or right, but a good amount of noise from drunks staggering around in hallway during the midnight to 4am period, but that's the case at any hotel in AC. No waiting for elevators. Each time we would pop out, we would put the "service requested" sign on the door, and everytime we returned room was cleaned up and ready! Both the stores and places to eat at the Trop are top notch. We really enjoyed Carmines - You MUST order the meatballs, next to your country, they are to die for!!! Carmines is also a nice quiet place to get a drink at the bar. All stores were open and staffed, although very expensive. In the casino, the table staff, pit bosses, cashiers, etc., were all nice and fast. All slot machines we played worked without problem (I note that, as the one time we went off property to play slots at the Wild West Casino, the first machine I went to took my $20, then came up with an error. Had to wait 30 minutes for an attendant). The Trop is a large property, and as such, you can get yourself lost real easy. We got lost trying to find the registration desk. We ended up at the luggage check desk, but he WAS able to check us in - That's a treat. Most of the Trop (as is the case with most of AC now), smoking is restricted to designated places. The 2nd floor of the casino has a small area called penny something ... Which has maybe 20-30 slots and is a smoking area (hey, try the Super Jackpot Party machine which is on the right, as soon as you enter the area). Down on the 1st floor, they have a larger slot area near the ice cream shop for smokers. On a scale of 0 to 100, 100 being best, I would give the Tropicana a strong 95. I had to take off a few points due to the shower temprature problems.