“WEST TOWER”

Tropicana Atlantic City
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed June 26, 2014

No great deal. This hotel is for those who want to gamble only. The room has no microwave, the indoor pool is very small, and the hot tub does not exist (the water was yellow). Check in was easy, they do put a hold of $50.00 per day on your credit card. The in door restaurants are too expensive.A map should be given when you check in, so you know where to go. The bus schedule to return to NYC is very limited only one at 6am and one at 4pm. (the young man who works at the bus terminal is very rude)I booked this hotel because of the low price, but next time I will stay much closer towards the piers, which you have much better options such as food and activities. The beach was wonderful.

Room Tip: request view to the ocean
1  Thank NANCY A
Write a ReviewReviews (5,076)

Reviewed June 25, 2014

First, I will say.... I do not gamble and I have no idea about that part of the Tropicana.

The parking garage for self park is pretty full and a little dangerous, but we weathered it. The entire place is funny as it is stuck between new and old. Which might be why I like it.

Our check-in was crazy fast. 5 minutes in line, 5 minutes at the counter. Off we go.

We got a room in the West Tower. It was funny because they had removed the carpet and put down laminate fake wood floors. Which I like! The colors were nice but the furniture is sparse! No drawers, just a desk. Mini fridge in the corner, 2 sitting chairs, closet with no door. HUGE bathroom with no reason to be so large. Mostly empty space.

It had a flat screen TV that was nice, and then we got a single tiny trash can. Also, instead of putting out a Do Not Disturb if you don't want maid service.... you put out a Service Wanted sign if you DO want it. Good idea, there.

I am typing this right now on their simple and free WiFi, which I truly appreciate.

There is a lot of nightlife here. Dancing, eating, drinking, kareoke, and the like. But the best part compared to places like Harrah's and the Borgata.... you are RIGHT on the BOARDWALK! We walked it in the morning, the afternoon, and even at night. So many things to see and do. We also spent a lot of time on the beach and in the nice warm ocean. Great days! Lifeguards are around but they don't hassle you every second like in Ocean City. Also, we were drinking on the beach and no one gave us a hard time.

Drinks came from Celebrity Deli in the Ocean Club on the boardwalk. Not cheap but not crazy expensive. The food on the boardwalk is much less expensive than in the hotel.

We ate in the Marketplace which is like a little mall in the Tropicana. We ate at Casa de Taco.... it was good, but expensive. $90 for 3 people, though $30 of that was for a pitcher of sangria that was good but pretty weak and mostly full of ice.

The hotel is kind of a confusing place with the different towers and the like. Also, many of the employees have no idea what is going on in other parts of the hotel. We asked 3 different security people about the pools.... and got 3 different answers about when they close.

The North tower has an outdoor pool with a bar called Blue Parrot. We had a good time there our first night until they closed at 7pm. Pool closed at 8pm. it's a small pool, dated, but it served its purpose for us. And hey, it's on the 6th floor!

The South Tower Gym and Indoor Pool.... are very dated and strange. We spent about an half hour there and then got out. Too many people in this tiny indoor pool room from the 80's.

I really have enjoyed staying here. It's not amazing but it's very comfortable, clean, fun, and centrally located to the wider awesome that is the boardwalk.

I should also remark that there isn't a lot for teenagers or younger kids to do, but we knew that. That's what the beach is for.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Great stay at the Tropicana in AC! I realize it's hit or miss with the rooms at the Tropicana, but we had a great room - 1733 in the North Tower. The room was very clean, and has a flat screen tv, new carpet, large jacuzzi tub, and a side ocean view. Loved all of the shops and restaurants at the Tropicana. The Taco and Tequila Bar was awesome! The front desk crew was extremely helpful, and they even printed our boarding passes for the trip home. Excellent location on the boardwalk and great beach area. No complaints here! Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Room 1733 in the North Tower has been updated and offers, new carpet, flat screen tv, large jacuzzi...
3  Thank kld76
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Let me start off by saying that I really want to give this hotel at least a 4 star but the service was terrible! The check in was a nightmare to say the least, one person working the check-in counter on a Saturday afternoon during peak season was not the best management decision made. The room was average for over $500 per night, the water did not drain from the tub so while you were showering you had to stand in still water (yuck) upon check-out we paid $10 to park at the Tropicana parking deck! I have never stayed at a hotel that charged their guests to park at the very hotel they paid to stay at. The entertainment and restaurants at the hotel were good as was the easy access from the hotel to the boardwalk. I personally will not be coming back to this hotel.

2  Thank skeletonkey1005
Tropicana R, Director of Marketing at Tropicana Atlantic City, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent trip to the Tropicana Casino & Resort .

We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the many dining options available on property in addition to our Boardwalk location

We are sorry to hear that your were disappointed with the quality of your room and the level of service you received at check in. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced.

I have passed your comments on to our Management Team for their review.

Once again, thanks for your review.

Best wishes, David B.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I though the food and bev staff were poorly trained and lacking customer service skills. Stayed for two nights in the Havana Tower which is older (I think). Still had CRT TV's in the room. Room was nice. Went to breakfast the next AM at the only Trop owned restaurant that accepted our breakfast comp and waited almost twenty minutes before we left. No waitress came to the table, restaurant was not full. Hostess was on her cell for the entire time she seated guests. had a beer later that night in the bar by the Casino's and it was flat. I would stay again and dine elsewhere

2  Thank WayneS60
Reviewed June 21, 2014

My wife and I purchased a travelzoo voucher that was good for one night’s stay at the Tropicano Casino & Resort, of which was included $10 slot play and $20 food credit, good for the Tropicana’s eateries and restaurants.

We checked in this past Tuesday, and upon check-in, my wife presented the Travelzoo voucher to the front desk staff. We were given a room in the Havana Tower. My wife told me that check-in had gone smoothly, as the staff informed her that the $10 slot play and the $20 food comp was placed on her Trop card. She noted that the food credit was only good at 4 of the restaurants at the Tropicana: Fiesta Buffet, Seaside Café, Rumba Lounge & Party Pit, and Tangos Lounge. Since we were traveling with our toddler son, we decided against Rumba and Tangos, as they fell into the sports bar/lounge/nightclub genre, which are not places we are inclined to take our toddler. Since the buffet was open until 8pm and the Café until 9pm, we decided to take our son to the beach for a few hours of fun before dinner.

We returned to the room and grabbed some showers around 6:30pm, and my wife called the front desk to confirm that both the buffet and café were still open. She was informed that the buffet was closed to the public because of employee appreciation day, and the café was already closed for the evening (no reason given). Since we did not want to take our son to Rumba or Tango, we proceeded to the front desk and spoke with the front desk staff, explaining our situation and asking if we could use our $20 credit elsewhere. After consultation with the manager, we were quickly informed that the food credit could not be transferred to any other eatery, so our only options were the two lounges. They did note that we were welcome to use it for dinner the next evening (which was no help, since we were checking out the next morning), or we could use it on room service. I doubted that we would be able to get any substantial food with the $20 credit via room service, so we decided that was not an option. It would have been nice and courteous if the front desk staff, upon our check-in, had noted that the buffet and café were closing early, so we could have made arrangements to eat dinner at an earlier time. But apparently that was of no concern to them. Getting nowhere, we proceeded to the boardwalk to grab dinner elsewhere. Mind you, we weren’t asking to have the credit be valid at the Tropicana’s fine dining establishments (like Carmine’s, Palm, Fin, PF Chang’s, etc). We would have been fine if they allowed us to use the credit at any of their other casual eateries or quick bites, such as the deli, starbucks, pizza, or marketplace express. Any other options other than room service or nightclubs and lounges would have been sufficient.

Later that evening, I posted on twitter a comment about my disappointment with the customer service at the Tropicana, and to my surprise, the Tropicana responded with a tweet asking that I direct message them with details about out situation, to which I promptly complied. They responded that Trin, the front desk manager, would be reaching out to us.

The next morning, we noted that the food comp had never even been placed on my wife’s Trop card in the first place!?! To top it off, the free parking credit that she had earned while playing the slots the evening before expired at midnight. What good is free parking if it expires at midnight and you are checking out the next morning??

On Thursday, I received a tweet saying that Trin had tried to reach out to me, but was unable to leave a voicemail. Interesting, since my voicemail box is nowhere near full and everyone else has had no problem leaving me any voicemail messages. The Trop noted that they would be crediting a reversal to the charges on my wife’s credit card of $18 (miscellaneous taxes and fees not covered with the travelzoo voucher) and also crediting free parking to the my wife’s Trop card. What a GRAND gesture this is by the Tropicana, refunding an amount that is still LESS than the food comp that we were never given, although it is part of the Travelzoo voucher. Management even had the nerve to suggest that these “miscommunications” tend to happen more frequently when booking through a 3rd-party instead of directly with the hotel. We aren’t buying that excuse, since to make the reservation (per the voucher), my wife booked the room DIRECTLY on the Tropicana’s website, and not only that, she handed the voucher to the front desk upon check-in, and the voucher lists everything that is included and should have been given to us during our stay. They noted that there were unable to refund anything over $18, since that is the only amount that was paid to them. I noted that we weren’t looking for a refund, just what we were owed from the voucher.

My wife actually reached out the Travelzoo, informing them of the situation, and they actually granted us a $20 credit for our troubles with the Tropicana voucher. Notice the difference in how Travelzoo went above and beyond in terms of customer service to help with a situation for which they had no control and were not at fault, while Tropicana barely acknowledged the situation and actually tried to blame the use of a 3rd party voucher for their incompetent service and miscommunication.

I gave this rating 2 stars, because the casino and shops themselves are very nice, and the rooms are adequately furnished and clean. But the customer service left something to be desired, so the low rating is directly due to their handling of our situation. If anyone is in need of free parking, let us know, and we’ll figure out a way to get the comp that is on my wife’s card to you. I doubt we’ll be going back to the Tropicana, although we will definitely be back to visit Atlantic City.

3  Thank wubar
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Originally decided to call to reserve a room with an ocean view instead of doing it online so I could actually talk to a real person, and was told I could "request one but it may not be accepted but ask at check in". We arrived about an hour early and the woman at check in said no more rooms with an ocean view were available. My boyfriend asked how then do you go about getting one... For a fee you can have one. (So now they are available) Okay, so we paid. No big deal. We get into our room, which, for 50$ extra than a standard king room, was a corner suite; two room, two bathroom--huge room with three awesome picture windows.. Great views was about all it offered. It sort of reminded us of "the Shining-- RedRum" Who knows when it was last updated. It was supposed to be a non-smoking room but the burn holes, yellow walls and funky smell made me think otherwise. Annoying but we could deal with it. The tvs were the oldest zenith tube tvs known to man. The carpet looked like old turf and certainly showed it's age.

Now to the best part..... We climb into bed and I realized something was scratching my leg. I rip off the covers to find a gnarly old jagged toenail. It's 3am and I pluck it out, put it in a cup and decide to deal with it at checkout

Next morning waiting in line to check out and speak with a supervisor, Havana tower desk tells me a supervisor will not come up to talk with me about my issues-- I had to track them down myself.
Which I find ridiculous- that's their job. Was my room even cleaned? Were my sheets clean???

The casino, restaurants and shops are nice--- just try to stay away from the Havana tower- it's outdated. We had friends in the west tower- and the rooms were much cleaner and updated (flat screens and wood floors)

4  Thank Kimberly T

We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our casino in addition to the many shops and restaurants on property.

We are sorry to hear that your were disappointed with the quality of your room. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced.

I have passed your comments on to our Management Team for their review.

Our goal is to offer all of our guests an exceptional room product experience. To that end, we are delighted to announce our plans of a 35 million dollar renovation project. A major portion of the project is the complete renovation of our North Tower which consists of 434 rooms and suites.

The construction is scheduled to begin during the 3rd quarter of 2014

Once again, thanks for your review. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you the next time you visit AC.

Best wishes, David B.