“Poor maintenance & poor customer service”

Tropicana Atlantic City
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I dislike giving negative reviews, so first some positives: The Tropicana’s decor is themed on Cuba when it was a major tourist attraction. The “Quarter” is very attractively lined with shops, restaurants, palm trees, fountains, and of course… sprinkled with slot machines. A very enjoyable diversion one evening was tickets to the Comedy Stop on the second floor. The few restaurants on their property that we ate at during our stay had pleasant & accommodating staff. Also, Tango, the lounge we enjoyed evening drinks at, poured generous sized glasses of wine and provided nightly entertainment.

Now for the negatives: From a big name like the Tropicana, I expected a better level of customer service and building maintenance. Let me explain in further detail.

We checked in at an auxiliary desk (not the main lobby) which was accessible after exiting the parking garage. Upon reaching our room I realized we were only given 2 room keys. Rather than wait in a long line for check in again, I waited to the side until one of the desk clerks was done with a customer and then approached to explain we needed another key. She snipped at me, “That was your emergency!” She explained it would be an additional $25 per night. I explained I’d already pre-paid the fee for the 3rd adult in room at the time of booking. (Our disabled adult son vacationed with us.) The lady continued insisting, in a rude tone of voice, it was going to be another $25 fee. I again explained I already paid it. She then again cited the fee in a way that insinuated I was too stupid to understand & informed me there was nothing else she could do about it; I’d have to go to front desk.

Deciding to deal with the issue later, I returned to our assigned room only to discover the base of the bottom drawer was poked loose so it couldn’t hold anything. (There are only 2 very small drawers and a small closet for clothes). A phone call to a manager resulted in relocation to another room & finally getting a 3rd key. Unfortunately, in the new room, apparently a previous guest had opened a door too hard & there was a hole in a wall. Each room has a small refrigerator concealed in a nightstand between the two beds. In the “new” room the nightstand door had been removed, bent up hinges remained and below the fridge’s base was all scrapped up.

A couple of elevators, in the bank of them for the Havana Tower, were missing one or more of the inside hand rails. This was particularly evident in one of them because where screws should have been to secure them, large holes exposed the particle board beneath the veneer.

Most hotels usually provide information about their restaurants, pools and so forth at check-in and/ or in brochures left in rooms. No such information was in either of the rooms we were in, so we were left to guess or find things by wandering about. In order to get anywhere from the Havana Tower you need to walk through the Quarter to the Casino area. After searching for some time, we finally asked someone where the pool was (outdoor one on the 6th floor of the North tower, indoor pool 6th floor of the South tower). The pools are only open from 10 AM -6PM during the summer and close at 5PM the rest for the year. We also had to ask how to gain access to the boardwalk and beach since it was not readily apparent where to go.

On our second day, after spending several hours on the beach, we returned to find housekeeping was still cleaning our room. I was told there hadn’t been enough towels on the cart, they’d have to get more later, so we quick threw some clothes on and went souvenir shopping on the boardwalk. I called housekeeping upon returning, was promised towels would be sent up. My husband and son showered using the only two bath towels in the room. Still no towels, so I tried to get one at the auxiliary desk, but they didn’t know where to get them other than by calling housekeeping. My husband called again and was told there was a shift change so it’d take a bit longer. Not being able to stand being grungy any longer I showered using a beach towel I’d brought from home that was somewhat dry. Eventually a stack of towels arrived… 2 ½ hours after asking for them.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Janet L

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Spent three days mid-week. Stayed in the West Tower. It was very easy to find the room. It was very clean. We had ample linens and a nice view of the ocean. Bed was very comfortable. We will certainly stay here again when in Atlantic City.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

You might want to bring your own carpeting if they place you in the West Tower. Oh- you didn't hear? There is no carpeting in the west tower. I have no idea why - maybe they're waiting to get some, but if I'm paying $89 a nite, there better be carpeting, without stains preferably. You might want to invest in some ear plugs as well because you'll be hearing your neighbors moving around above you. I lasted in this room for two minutes and asked to be moved. I was ready for them to tell me "Well, you didn't tell us you wanted carpeting in your room." Luckily, they had another tower to place me in because I had checked in early. So they put me in the Havana Tower.
I was told that I didn't have to go back downstairs to registration but could go directly to the Havana tower where they have their own check-in desk. What a treat! But when I got there, there was a line of 20 people. I stood in this stupid line for 15 minutes, and it didn't move an inch. I then called the front desk who told me there wasn't a line when I had talked to them five minutes ago. They told me to go to the front of the line and ask for I can't remember his name. I was promptly growled at by several people in the front of the line, but the agent told them I wasn't registering but I was just changing rooms. I guess this pacified them.
Thank God the room was worth the aggravation. Usually, it doesn't work this way for me. I had gotten a $20 food voucher for each of the two days that I stayed and treated myself to two upscale restaurants- the Fin and Il Verdi. Good service. Try to get a table outside at the Fin- nice view. Enjoyed the pool. All in all a good trip except for the beginning

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at the Trop twice in the last month. The first stay was in the newer West Tower and this stay was in the South Tower. Both stays were great but if you have a choice take the West Tower. There are so many things to do at The Trop that although it is alone at the south end there is little reason to stray elsewhere. Did I mention the beach is great too!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank TJLease
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The hubby and I needed to getaway somewhere close with a pool in this depressive heat NJ is experiencing. Due to the price and pool we chose Tropicana. Check-in was great, we arrived at noon and immediately were able to get into our room in the North Tower. The room was much larger than the average hotel (it was more junior suite size). However, it does require much TLC. The linens were dated, the furniture dated, the air vents full of dirt, dust, muck, yuck. Luckily we we only required a room to sleep not hang out. Once settled we ventured to the outdoor pool on the 6th floor. It was full of kids, we had trouble as parents trying to figure out what type of person would take their children to a casino pool, but we made the best of it. There was hardly any room for swimming, we were lucky to find an open spot in the water just to jump in to cool off.
In the end the Tropicana did exactly what we needed it to do. Provide a day away, a pool to cool off in and some time to ourselves.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I decided spur of the moment to go to AC (we live in NYC). On Saturday the 13th of July I made a reservation through bookings.com for the following day. My hubby dropped me at the front lobby around 2:45 and he went to park the car. The line was long and I thought here we go. But it moved very fast and I had our hotel keys within 10 minutes or so. I had to snake through a number of hallways to our room but unbeknownst to me they had upgraded us to a junior suite that was oceanfront. Great room. Yes I checked for bed bugs and the mattress was not only clean it looked new. And yes the TV's were the old picture tube type. But I'm there to have a good time and not watch TV and the little we watched of TV, just before bed, it was fine. The room was clean and the AC was so cold we had to turn it up just a little and we were there during an official heat wave of 95 degrees plus.

The hotel was huge and there were many places to explore (The Quarter, The Marketplace, etc). We ate at Chickie's and Pete's outside once the sun was not beating down on us and it was very good. We both said that if back in AC we would eat there again. Try the crab fries they were delicious (and there is no crab in or on them). We went to the comedy stop that night and the comics were ok but not outstanding. Our table was right up against the stage and I thought (as well as everyone around us) that we were going to be "picked" on but thankfully that did not happen. Just be sure if you go to not think the popcorn is free because it isn't. It wasn't expensive and I don't know why my husband thought it was free but he did.

The gambling was a disappointment but not because we lost a few bucks. I like to play black jack but not at expensive tables. The min was $15 which is too rich for my blood. If I had my way it would be $5 and no more than $10. I also didn't think there were many tables open. My husband tried to get into the poker room and there was a long wait for that as well. So we threw some money into the slots and promptly lost. I'm not a lover of slots and this trip solidified that for me. The next day we went down to the casino and the black jack tables were $10 but there was still a wait for the poker room so we left.

We had breakfast next door at the Country Kitchen and I loved mine but my hubby thought the French toast was horrible.

We walked a little the day before on the boardwalk but be aware if you want to be in the middle of all the hotels the Tropicana is not for you because its at the southern end of the boardwalk. So making the move to another casino or shopping at another hotel is quite a walk and we were unwilling to do it because of the extreme heat. If you are looking to be in the middle of the action then pull up a map of the casinos on the boardwalk and pick one out that is more centrally located.

All in all the hotel is beautiful, the room was great, the food was good and we had a good time. The only thing that would have made it better was if we were able to gamble the way we wanted. We would absolutely go back to the Trop again.

1  Thank bucky0926
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I took my kids and grandkids to the Tropicana for my 60th birthday and everybody had a ball and had no complaints. We stayed in the Havana Tower, ate at the buffet and at Carmines. We had a blast at the restaurant grand openings with the mummers and all.
my kids are very fussy, but they had no complaints either. I would definitely go back

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family