WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Atlantic City
New York City, New York
“Fabulous Room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

After a great few days in Atlantic City, I thought I’d give you a few tips from my experience to make your trip a success.

October weather on the East Coast has been warm and sunny so we took advantage. I set out looking for a nice hotel in AC for a couple of days. The prices of all the hotels took me off guard. Affordable, reasonable and recession on the button. Sunday – Thursday rates were anywhere from 38.00 – 150.00. Last time I was there, 150.00 was the norm nearly every day, with 99.00 being a bargain for a room with a view of concrete.

We decided on the Tropicana at 49.00 per night (couldn’t go wrong there). When we arrived they asked if we’d like an upgrade to a suite for 30.00 more for the whole 2 night stay. I asked the receptionist the full cost for 2 nights and she stated 128.00. Great deal all around, so of course I said yes!

The corner room was more than amazing with 2 walls of windows overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and the boardwalk. From the bed you could see the dolphins swimming in the water. Couch, tables, chairs, massive bathroom, separate closet, bar, king bed (comfortable as hell) etc. What a great decision, I thought proudly!

During our stay, we grabbed sandwiches at Hooters and I wouldn’t recommend it to any human being with taste buds. Horrible.We had a burger in Tropicana at A Damn Good Bar with a coupon we got from wasting too much money gambling. A decent place with a fun atmosphere. Getting 1 entree free, having a cool waitress and Coors Light 40 oz bottle for 5.00 made it a good stop. Fish and chips and burger were tasty. The nachos were messy–not good messy, if you know what i mean. Just messy thrown together from cans. All in all would definitely go back, especially for the beer.

With a room so lovely, we ordered room service for breakfast overlooking the ocean. Eggs Benedict was excellent, but costly. The total for 2 plain teas and 2 small orange juices came to 68.00 before tip. Steep, yes. Worth it with the view, yes.

After a swim in the pool we headed down the boardwalk to check out other casinos and shops. I pooped out after awhile and asked one of the hand pushed cart men to take us the rest of the way. He said 20.00, i said 10, he said 15, I said ok. We arrived at Resorts and when i produced the 15 he explained how hard he works and how business is bad, so I gave him the 20.00. I thought it might give me good karma..

After another hefty gambling loss, we decided to chance a taxi back to the Tropicana. How much could it be???? 5.80 and there in 5 minutes. More my price. Back in the casino we thought, What the hell, let’s try craps. I must say the people running the game were great and helped us along. We ‘lucked out’ and had a great group of players that made the evening fun, even while losing. HA Checking the comps on our cards at the end of the night, we received coupons for free coffee at Starbucks in the hotel and for the Fiesta Buffet. A night cap at the bar was 10.00 per drink and hit the spot.

The last morning, we availed of the Starbucks coupons and had it overlooking the ocean once more. It was then I checked my bill on the TV. It was 271.00. By my calculations it should have been 128.00 for the room, 68.00 for room service…$188.00 plus tax total. Immediately I called reception and asked where did that figure come from. I explained what the woman at check in confirmed about the price. She told me it was wrong and was 30 extra per night for the suite. Okay, so that should bring it to about 218.00. Where is the 270 coming from? Taxes and fees! Yes, 52.00 in taxes, Atlantic City fees and hotel fees. So, if you are thinking you are coming off light when you see the room rate, ask them specifically what else will be charged nightly.

Feeling a little bit done by the hotel, I decided I was going to use the coupon for the free Fiesta Buffet come hell or high water! I wanted my 20.00 worth, hungry or not! So, not quite ready for lunch, but wanting to hit the road home, we set out on my mission. After the 1st plate of uneatable burger, chips and soggy corn, I asked the very nice waiter could i keep going until I found something I liked…he said absolutely. After he took away the 5th full plate, which included pancakes, sausage, bacon, ziti, meatballs, ribs, rice, something with cheese and cherries,cinnamon bun, hot dog and more that I’ve forgotten, he said, “No luck yet?” I said it was hard to believe that salad would be the best thing there. He said, “take it from me, that’s about it.” Nice man that got a nice tip. How happy were we that we didn’t pay for the ‘gourmet food’.

Checking the comp machine one more time, we received 2 coupons for parking, which were only to be used on the day we were leaving. Giving it a shot anyway, the valet was kind enough to use it for the 2 days we were there. Yea, valet lady!

We really had a perfect trip, the room was to die for and we met some really cool people and the blue skies and sun made it relaxing. If you are heading to Atlantic City, the Tropicana is a nice place to stay, as I am sure are the other casino hotels. Check the prices carefully. The casino staff are not the friendliest, considering you are spending your heart out on games. They almost seem to look at you like you are going to steal from them! Put it all aside and enjoy the experience of losing with a smile. Or winning with a yelp–Yes! When I go again, the restaurant on the boardwalk at Trump Plaza is a must. Overpriced food is a waste of resources. I prefer to lose my money the old fashioned way…at a slot machine.

Guess what came in the mail today…1 day after leaving the hotel? A free room comp for the Tropicana! Yep, I’m going to use it…wisely this time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alish2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,135)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Here for convention. Had small issue with "free money" cards at Tango bar. Manager Ryan H. Quickly remedy this and was very nice. Also, Joseph J did outstanding job for our groups convention service dance night! boogie nights was the Best! I would ask for room in West Tower, much newer.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great view, large clean room. Valet, security and other staff very helpful. Great shopping and food at the quarter. My favorite casino in A C for several reasons. Convenient parking and access for disabled.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank AliceinWondrland
Coxsackie, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I did a bus trip and stayed at the Tropicana Casino and Resort in Atlantic City on March 10-11. We had a great time. We were in the West Tower and the room was very nice and clean. I had read some bad reviews and but I am glad that I have to see things for myself. If I was to have any complaint at all it would be that the bath tub could have drained a little faster. I would definitely go back and stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Canton, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed in the south tower - 14th floor and after reading some of these reviews I was very nervous....mainly about the cleanliness. Put your mind at ease -- our ocean view room was spotless, bathroom was updated, CLEAN and perfectly functional. It wasn't noisy and everything worked very well. Flat screen tv, remote, fridge, coffee maker, lights--everything was A-OK. Little far from the other casinos but that was OK because we liked walking the boardwalk between. Overall-given price (very reasonable), location, but most of all cleanliness....I give it an A!

• Stayed March 2013
Central New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Tropicana Hotel in the West Tower on the first weekend in March 2013. The rooms are old, not very clean looking, and there were pubic hairs on the floor of the bathroom when we first checked in! The amount of groups of young people partying and screaming in the hallways right past our room at 4:30am was ridiculous. There are droves of them all sharing one room....screaming, doors slamming, running, to name a few. No more for us! And the price they charge for that was RIDICULOUS. Oh yeah, even if you are staying at the Tropicana, you still have to pay for parking, really? Didn't you get enough of our money?? Go down the boardwalk to the Revel instead!

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel would be better!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MarcyLS
Tropicana R, Director of Marketing at Tropicana Casino and Resort, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us.

We are sorry to hear about the disappointment you experienced with your room. What you describe is not the norm at the Tropicana Casino & Resort. Please accept our apology for any inconvenienced you experienced.

I have passed your comments onto our Senior Management Team for their review.

Once again, thank you for the comments. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you the next time you visit AC.

Sincerely, David

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

If you're the type of person who wants to skip the pleasantries you might encounter at the front desk of many other hotels, and just get down to the business of handing over your credit card, then this place is for you. The front desk staff - if you can find the front desk - are sure not to crack a smile or even ask if they could be of any more help other than to lighten your wallet a bit.

The rooms, as others have said, are dated, dirty and depressing. An Art Deco style mirror intermingles with muddy looking copies of spanish sunsets, scuffed wallpaper, a bedspread from my grandmothers linen closet and green wall-to-wall carpeting that belies the hotel's lack of cleaning equipment. It would seem that the hotel got an amazing deal on some old-school CRT televisions, or perhaps just picked some up from the curbs of the rest of America. The most striking feature of my room was the 8" long brown smear across the ceiling. It truly must have taken a previous guest some type of acrobatic effort to deposit it there.

Check the number of reviews of those who give this place a positive review. I don't think that anyone who's stayed at many actually nice hotels would give this place 5 stars. It's a 2, but it only gets the extra star because of the schmaltzy Havana street-scape in the lobby of the Havana Tower - and even that will grows old pretty quick.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Beets42
Tropicana R, Director of Sales at Tropicana Casino and Resort, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
We appreciate you sharing your comments with us.

We are sorry to hear about the disappointment you experienced with your room and the service you received. What you describe is not the norm at the Tropicana Casino & Resort. Please accept our apology for any inconvenienced you experienced.

I have passed your comments onto our Senior Management Team for their review.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your review. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you the next time you visit AC.

Sincerely, David B.