“Hotel location is great; The Quarter is fun for shopping, dining, entertainment”

Tropicana Atlantic City
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The overall hotel is just average for the average person staying there, but it is a terrific location on the boardwalk, and also has The Quarter.....which is what got us hooked on Tropicana years ago!
Rooms are clean but nothing special; casino has a wide range of games, and I noticed several new ones recently.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,207)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

No, not by a person but by the hotel itself. Paid $350 for a $50 room that smelled awful, a rattling noise coming from the heater waking us up numerous times, a sparsly decorated room that definitly needed updating. We were there for a concert, as were 2500 other people and the hotel raised all their rates. The casinos were......well casinos, full of smoke and poor souls forever plopped down playing slots. If your a gambler, heavy drinker and smoker....you'll be in heaven.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Neverdie2142
Tropicana R, Director of Marketing at Tropicana Atlantic City, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to share about you experience at the Tropicana.

We take all of our customer reviews very seriously. Please except our apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment you experienced with your room. Our goal is to make each of our guests experience an exceptional one.

I have passed your comments on to our Senior Management Team for their review.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope that you give us another opportunity to host you the next time you visit AC

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Eurkea California
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Traveled the world from one end to the other in my 55+yrs on this planet and never have I had such a HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE as my husband and I had at the Atlantic City" TROPICANA" Casino, this past weekend. From the moment we checked in, I just had the sense a feeling it was not going to be the experience I have come to expect from the TROPICANA. And boy oh boy was my radar up and working correctly. Once we opened the door to the room, we both went "OH NO". It was "barren literally barren" there were not even any pillows on the bed. But yet there was 'old gum' stuck on nightstand. No Blankets, No bath mat, no tissues, nothing in mini bar. I called down to the desk" 5" times from the moment we opened the door and I could reach the phone, only to hear "we're sorry for your inconvenience, we are' short staffed' with a sold out hotel this evening" and I quote. We were there for the Whoppi Goldberg show, which was disappointing but not nearly so as the conditions of our West Wing Hotel room. Never ever stay anywhere in the west wing the experience was disgraceful. Let me put in a clearer manner, I have stayed at ECO lodges cleaner and with more amenities, then the $300.00 a night room at the TROPICANA. Put simply when we went to check out and showed the manger the conditions of our room from my camera as proof, all she could say is " well we can offer you an upgrade the next time you come" Are you kidding me why would we ever stay there again. She was total attitude, as if we are the TROPICANA and if you don't like it, stay somewhere else next time. I swear on own my life, she was exactly like that to my face. It was by 2 am we received our pillows and blankets. The pillow cases were inside out and smelled of some one's sent. EEK.
I do not like to ever write and submit a bad review, as my record on TripAdvisor will indicate but this time something has to be said and said aloud for others not to make this same mistake. I am ashamed that in this economy the hotel industry can not hire enough to staff a full hotel of it's size with the proper amount of staff.I find this not only ridiculous but sadden due to the need they have and all those so desperate for any job anywhere.And yet Casino's make and or create the largest corporate profit , while they think they can get away with offering less at the same employee ratio to guests. This financial decision will cost them dearly later as the word gets around and bad news fly's faster then anything less unfortunately. If they had at least tried I would not be writing this. But they do not care. take or leave em we will be leaving and taking everyone we know with us as a result. This is only one of the many posts I intend to write today.

Room Tip: Call way way way in advance and use everyone or anyone you know to help you not experience we did. A...
5 Thank frugalmom444
Tropicana R, Director of Marketing at Tropicana Atlantic City, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us

We are sorry to hear about the disappointment you experienced with your room and the service you received. What you describe is not the norm at the Tropicana Casino & Resort. Please accept our apology for any inconvenienced you experienced.

I have passed your comments onto our Senior Management Team for their review.

Once again, thank you for the comments. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you the next time you visit AC.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were very happy with the room; it was in the West Tower and had been refurbished nicely. It had wood floors and nice, updated furnishings. No dresser though. Great view too!
What was very upsetting was that we made our reservations through Kayak. The reservations stated that there were four occupants in the room. When we checked in, they acknowledged that we had four in the room and gave us four keys. However, when we checked out, they added $57 to the charges because the reservations are based on double occupancy as it shows on the back of Kayak's receipt. But we thought that was included because the bill from Kayak specifically shows four occupants. The Tropicana finally gave us credit, but not until the manager at the desk was rude, accusatory and actually ARGUED! She didn't even come back to give us the credit; Jose did who was checking us out in the first place. Not a nice girl! Too bad a poor desk manager left us with a bad taste in our mouths from a great experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you go to the desk to check-out to be on the safe side.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed two nights. The hotel has several towers. Although we did stay in the older North Tower the room was great. It was fairly large and had two queen size beds. Mini Fridge and table seating area. The hotel has a fitness center and indoor pool. The quarter has bars, clubs and restaurants. We ate at the Palm one night and Carmine's the next Both were awesome! Caught a movie at the Imax theatre too! Plenty of smaller places to get coffee, ice cream or toasted bagel! Its a huge casino resort so if you enjoy gambling and dining out its fine! Its not the Borgata but for the value its a Casino Hotel with many options. Outlet stores are near by and the local Jitney Bus takes you up and down the strip for $2.25. Definately not a place for kids. Its for couples and friends looking to have a fun adult weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for the double queen suite...
2 Thank griffin96
Neversink, New York
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have mixed feelings regarding the Tropicana Hotel and Casino. I booked the room with ease, I found the hotel and parking without incident. I had a hard time finding the front desk and I wasn't alone there was another group walking with us and we found the desk and never saw them again so I don't know if they ever got there. The "Quarter" was absolutely beautiful and the shopping and dining were outstanding. I didn't like having to take my 11 year old daughter through the casino and passed Hooters to get to the Boardwalk and the beach. We wanted our daughter to experience a casino buffet because my Husband and I take frequent vacations alone in Vegas so she really wanted to go to the buffet, I found the food fine but there is a psychology to buffet dining. When you charge $30 a plate people tend to over indulge in order to get their money's worth. I wish we had chosen a different breakfast location because we did not get $90 worth of breakfast.I was comfortable enough with the hotel to walk through by myself at any hour, (this says a great deal because I suffer from social phobia) I was given a corner room on a very high floor and the views all day and night were second to none. It was breathtaking. Our pics from the room were amazing. The bathroom was a decent size but really needed a remodel. The tub was small and ancient. There was no seperation from the vanity to the rest of the bathroom and the coffee maker had to be placed under the vanity to make room for toiletries.The TV was also very old and if we were alone no problem but we had a tween obsessed with special programming to contend with. The event the Hotel had regarding "The Quarter" was not explainded to us at check in and the hotel was elbow to elbow during the event that we didn't get the opportunity to take part in. Ultimately I enjoyed my stay but I would probably try a more centrally placed hotel next time and just visit the Tropicana.

Room Tip: We loved our corner room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Las Vegas, NV 89169
United States Of America
January 1, 2013
Dear Sir,
I am writing to share my unpleasant experiences at your hotel in Atlantic City on December 29, 2012.
9:30 PM - While returning from a trip to Atlanta, Ga., my wife and I suddenly decide to spend the last night of our vacation in your Tropicana Hotel where we hope to enjoy the casino rather than drive the last two hours home. We call the Tropicana and make a reservation for a double room for two adults and two children for $180. I request a quiet room far from the elevators.
10:00 PM - We follow the sign on the building and turn right into “Check in and Valet Parking”, only to be told that we were in “Valet Parking” and not in “Check in”. We are directed to pull in behind a Lamborghini while I check our family in.
We are immediately upgraded to a suite in the South Tower. We are not given free chips, coupons or anything from the hotel to use in the casino. We self-park our car. We enter the hotel and are immediately lost. There are no signs for the South Tower. With heavy winter coats on, and pulling our luggage, we wander the hotel seeking the South Tower. It is quite a long walk.
10:30 PM - We finally arrive at our suite, room 879, only to find a king-size bed. We wonder where all four of us would sleep. We had assumed that an upgrade to a suite meant two rooms with two beds, and not one room with one bed. Our nine-year-old daughter opens the door to room 880, which is the adjoining room, and points out that this must be the rest of the suite. Because the door to the adjoining room is unlocked, we assume she is correct. My children unpack, brush their teeth and go to sleep in the bed in room 880. My wife and I prepare to go to the casino.
11:00 PM – Suddenly a man and a woman use their room card to open the door to room 880 where my children are sleeping. We had locked the deadbolt so they were unable to enter. They apologize and leave. Now my children are awake and my family feels unsafe.
I call the front desk and explain the situation. The front desk explains that 880 is listed on their computer as being empty and informs us that we should move to a single room with two double beds in the West Tower. I ask to speak with a manager and am put on hold.
11:35 PM – I am still on hold. The telephone in room 880 rings. It is a manager, Ryan, calling for me. He is unaware that I have been waiting for him on hold for thirty minutes. He suggests that an error has been made and that if we want to continue to use room 880, we should pay $150 to use the room. My suggestion is for him to call his manager to see if we can just use room 880 for free since it will have to be cleaned again anyway, and because it would be the least inconvenience to my family. Ryan promises to call us back within a few minutes with his manager’s response.
11:55 PM – I wait twenty minutes without a response. I try to call Ryan. I am told that he is taking care of three other customers. I call the Concierge and receive a recording that it is closed for the day.
12:00 AM – Ryan finally calls me back and tells me that his manager will permit us to rent room 880 for $49 for the night. I decline the offer to pay for the hotel’s mistakes. Ryan says that he will send a bellboy with a luggage cart and our new room keys for a single room in the West Tower with two double beds. He expects the bellboy to arrive in a few minutes. To his credit, Ryan was polite and did not raise his voice.
12:15 AM – The bellboy has still not arrived. I call Ryan and am put on hold.
12:30 AM – After sitting in our coats for thirty minutes waiting for the bellboy, I make the decision to leave the hotel. On the first floor, we meet the bellboy who walks us to our new room, 4115, in the West Tower. We decide to stay. Our new room is immediately adjacent to the elevators which we hear clearly through the wall as they go up and down all night long.
10:00 AM – Besides a Starbucks, we cannot find an open restaurant serving breakfast. We use the express check out and depart the Tropicana.
Below is a summary of the nine problems we experienced in one night at your hotel:
1. Confusing outside signage for motorists upon first coming into contact with the hotel. The “Self Park” sign directs drivers to make a dangerous left turn the wrong way onto a one way street.
2. There is a general lack of signs in the hotel, particularly in the entrances coming out of the parking garage.
3. There is a lack of hotel personnel on the floor to assist guests with directions.
4. We were not given any free chips, meal vouchers, or other complimentary gifts to thank us for staying at a casino. As walk in customers, we cost your hotel nothing. Considering all the free giveaways your hotel provides to entice customers who take the buses in from New York City, the least you could have given us were a few coupons for some drinks, meals, or for complimentary pulls on a slot machine.
5. The doors between rooms 879 and 880 were both unlocked. This is evidence of poor quality control and is a security risk.
6. It was a poor management decision to move a family with small children to a room in another tower of the hotel after midnight.
7. There are not enough front office staff to handle customer issues. The dearth of front office staff and the long wait times that we experienced left us with the strong impression that Tropicana does not care about its customers.
8. Did you have to charge us $15 for self-parking our car after this difficult experience?
9. It is unclear if there are restaurants serving breakfast in the hotel.
After departing your hotel the following day, I checked the guest comments on the Trip Advisor and the Hotel.com websites and noted that my experiences seem be common among other guests as well.

I am requesting a written apology by the end of January 2013 and a full refund of our room and parking expenses.

Note: After 6 weeks, there was no response from anyone at the Tropicana.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel. Don't stay here.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Ben S
Thank you for taking the time to write about your December 29th stay with us.

We are sorry to hear about the disappointment you experienced with your room, our property signage and the service you received. What you describe is not the norm at the Tropicana Casino & Resort. Please accept our apology for any inconvenienced you experienced.

I did some follow up on your initial letter which was sent to our Corporate CEO. According to our records we did respond back to your letter on January 23, 2013. In the letter we did honor your request for a refund for your room. We have credited your cc for the cost of the room.

Please contact me if you have not received our response letter.

Once again, thanks for the review. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you the next time you visit AC.