“Great Pool, Poor Service, Mediocre Condition”

Harrah's Resort Atlantic City
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Coatesville, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great Pool, Poor Service, Mediocre Condition”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I booked two nights at Harrah's (3/25 and 3/26) for a mini-getaway. I won't mention the exact rate, but let's just say the price was a major factor. While the resort has a fantastic indoor pool area (glass dome with palm trees, 6 hot tubs, cabanas, bars) and a nice overall atmosphere, the service was very poor overall. We were treated rudely and/or had our concerns brushed aside by at least 3 employees. They were extremely understaffed at the front desk and pool/bar area, with only one bartender working at one point (there were a good hundred people at the pool and 15 at the bar). When I asked what could be done about it, one employee made excuses and said "unfortunately, nothing." When I returned with two beverages, I was told I couldn't bring "outside" beverages into the pool (from the bar within sight, no less). I had a dispute with a second and third employee over this, finally agreeing to take our drinks and leave the pool. It was only after a few minutes of being visibly annoyed that they offered us some free reserved lounge chairs for the next day.

Other incidents included a 15-20 minute line to check-in, and a casino waitress who was rude (we ordered drinks from the slots while playing..she delivered the drink and said "you have to keep playing or you can't order drinks."). However, the biggest concern was the condition of the "Waterfront Premium Room." It was in the Waterfront Tower, but was neither waterfront, nor premium. We had a nice view of the glass dome pool, and the surrounding swamp and parking lot. The room itself was worn and not particularly clean. There were handprints and fingerprints on the doors in the bathroom, and what appeared to be the remnants of vomit on the carpet and on the throw blanket on the bed. The bed itself was clean and very comfortable. The carpet was tired, as was the furniture (wood was worn). The shower was great, however.

We didn't complain about the room given that we paid a weekday offseason rate. Had I paid a weekend rate/full price, I would have been demanding a full refund. I doubt we'll be back. The pool doesn't make-up for the poor service and condition of the so-called "premium" room.

Room Tip: Don't believe that "waterfront" means a view of the bay.
3 Thank Scott W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,556)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NYC
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Took my boyfriend here as a surprise for his birthday. Had no complaints. Service in the casino was great, food was great and the room was clean and comfy. Poll was huge, But we felt it was too cold thought it would have been warmer.

2 Thank lizzy119
East Windsor
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Harrah's has a beautiful glass dome pool, which is always 80 degrees. We visit the hot tubs in the morning to relax and enjoy the pool for awhile. Feels like you are on an island. Lots of good slots and eating places. It is located on the bay, not the beach, but the pool makes up for it.
The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The only problem is the internet, you have to pay for it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the pool area so you don't have to walk thru the casino to get there...
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This hotel has gone down since my last visit. Checked in on 3/24/13 waterfront area@ 5:09 pm. Immediately went down to purchase a pizza for the children and returned to our room. Upon our return our room was filled the odor of marijuana. Informed the front desk and was told that sometimes people smoke and the smell goes through the vents. Front desk suggested that they bring some type of machine to get the smoke out; but the room needed to be vacated for 1 hour while this was being done. I let the front desk know that this was not acceptable; in addition to having a child with asthma. Another room was placed on hold; and we proceeded to move to the new room at 10:30 pm. As I took a shower; I noticed that the water was not going down the drain.
Was very tired; and just went to bed. By the morning my son noticed that there was water dripping from the top of the window. Called the from desk and was sent a plumber; and yet again switched to another room. After settling down for the 3rd time; we got ready to go to the family center. The family pool was closed even thought said that it would reopen in the spring. The front desk stated that it would cost around $10. each if we had to use a pool at another hotel. Had to find activities for the children like the Atlantic City Aquarium. Harras could have done a little better and allowed families to use the main pool. Should have went to Orlando.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank stlucian_12
Whitesboro, New York
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Just had a get away night at this large casino hotel. With the buffet line too long, we ate at Sammy D's & had the special daily dinner for a great price, although there were many other restaurants.. The gaming was exceptional for the gambler but we just planned on spending for entertainment. An indoor pool looked inviting but we passed. After a long day, our room was quiet and the bed was excellent. A fun time for one night, especially with the price from hotwire.

Room Tip: The marina tower was close to the slot machines and tables.
NY
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This has changed into a pathetic hotel that is obviously lossing money and cutting back. First understand that we had reservations for Monday March 25. A snowstorm was expected in south jersey and was in no mood to drive to this hellhole in the snow. Fortunately the forecast was changed so that the storm was to begin later in the day. We decided to leave early so we would miss the bad weather and the poor driving conditions, We arrived at 2:00 pm and immediately noticed the casino was empty...like a ghost town. We wondered if they were even open for business. We went to check in and was told that if we checked in before 4;00 we would be charged an addition amount for "early check-in"....WHAT???? Are you serious,really? Are they that hard up for money? We paid the scam money and went to our room on the 33 floor of the Waterfront Towers. We made reservations for 3 people and had 2 towels, 2 glasses and 1 coffee pack. REALLY, I paid for 3 people? The room was in a major need of cleaning and repair. The bathroom door wouldn't close, the windows were either leaking or sweating so much that it left a puddle behind the chairs where the wires for the lamp were. The heating system kept the room at a toasty 74 degrees even when I set it to 64 degrees. I sweated like a gambler trying to hit a jackpot. We go to Harrah's because of the pool. Again, Harrah's only cares about the almighty dollar. Where they had chaise lounges, it was replace with "RESERVATION LOUNGES and DAY BEDS for an additional $$$$$$. The whirlpools were filthy as was the pool. We spent not 1 penny at this property but instead went to the Borgota for gambling and dinner.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.....NEVER AGAIN will I stay at this poor excuse for a hotel/casino. No wonder AC is falling apart and going bankrupt (REVEL) Harrah's hopefully you will be next!!!!!

3 Thank redline613
new tork
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Okay, so I decided to give this hotel a chance to redeem itself but once again I was disappointed! I went with my 9 month old son, 11 year old sister, mother in law, 1 yr old niece and sister in law. We booked two non smoking rooms in the Waterfront Tower. Our rooms were on the 7th floor. We checked in on Sunday March 24th, 2013 and the line was out the door. I never seen anything like that before. Anyway, so we check in and head to our rooms. As we exit the elevator, we noticed that the carpet was dirty and there was a lot of garbage laying around on the floor. It wasn't vacuumed. Near my room were cigarette buds. I wasn't impressed with my room at all. The carpet was dirty and needed to be vacuumed as well. The furniture was old and chipping, the lamps were dusty and there was a cigarette smoke smell coming from the bathroom. We had to keep the bathroom door closed. As we settled in, I heard a loud rattling/rumbling noise that came from the vent in the wall near the window. It made us jump and my baby got scared. We realized that something was wrong because it made that noise every 15 minutes or so and it was very annoying. As I mentioned before, I have a 9th mth old who loves to stand up on the bed and hold on to the headboard but I wouldn't let me touch anything, especially the head board in the room because there was gum all over it. GROSS!! We went over to my sister's room and discovered that her room was nasty. Her carpet looked worst than mine. Her lamps were dirty and dusty, the furniture were old and chipped, the walls had stains on them and it looked as though someone threw food on the walls and on the pictures. We called downstairs to complain and was told it would be a while before someone could address the problem because they were short staffed. Someone came the next day to clean my room and their room wasn't cleaned until the day we checked out. If it weren't for the bad weather the following day, we would of checked out and head back home but we didn't want to drive with the babies in the cars. We stayed for two and nights and both times we were awaken around 4 am with loud noise from drunk guests in the hallway. They were screaming and cursing, running up and down the halls banging on doors saying it's Dominos delivery..I couldn't wait for Tuesday morning to come. I jumped up so fast and got us packed and ready to check out. By 9:30 am we were downstairs walking to retrieve our cars.

I gave this hotel a 2nd chance but that was it. There won't be a 3rd time for me. I will NEVER stay there again. If i'm paying to stay in a hotel, I want to be comfortable, happy and satisfied.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family